Ways of doin Naam Simran....

Again, welcome to Sikhi in the 21st century! Unless you belong to a particular group, jatha or organisation, we're either not going to tell you anything, because only we have the right to know God or we'll sell you the techniques through classes and workshops because we own God...such is the sad state of affairs!!!

One way dat i do it, it always makes me weep, is by.

Sitting down, dont cross ur legs, lay dem side by side wid ur feet parms touching each other (in square like shape e.g. <">).

Den close ur eyes, shut out ne other tings ur tinking of, let ur only focus be on Waheguru, dont put no picture in ur mind, jus look in da darkness. Feel ur heart in an emotional way, by expressing luv 4 Waheguru though ur heart emotionally.

Breath in. Has u exale Start saying Waheguru wid ur breath, do it as if Waheguru was ur breath.

U might notice ur breathing starts 2 increase in speed? Tell me if it does?

Again, welcome to Sikhi in the 21st century! Unless you belong to a particular group, jatha or organisation, we're either not going to tell you anything, because only we have the right to know God or we'll sell you the techniques through classes and workshops because we own God...such is the sad state of affairs!!!

Wahegurujikakhalsa Wahegurujikifateh

niranjana veer wat do u mean? sorry im slow to unastan big sentences. cud u explain pls. thank u brotha.

Wahegurujikakhalsa Wahegurujikifateh :P

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh!

There are at least two groups which believe in a secret physical method of doing Naam Simran. Although Guru Nanak Dev ji explicitly gave his opinion on such techniques in Guru Granth Sahib (Sidh Gosht), they still believe that a certain method is necessary. Guru Nanak Dev ji was against any breathing or other physical techniques i.e. Yoga positions as being necessary for Prem Bhagti - Loving Devotion.

I heard Sant Baba Isher Singh - Shri Guru Tegh Bahadar Ji Di Sakhi.mp3, and you are correct he does say that at some point all the pores in your body will start doing simran, and that by far is the most effective way.

I don't know if I am right but I tried to pay attention to my body yesterday, I noticed that when I do naam simran outloud then I feel energy around my heart area, if I do naam simran silently and take each breath to my belly then I feel energy in my stomach area. Could be chakras but what do I know.

Waheguru Ji Ki Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Thats prolly a good sign. I also tried it one time.. and after doin it aloud for about 10-20 mins, the mind started to remember it, then I brought that attention to the kanth chakra, that is in the throat... altho i was short on time that day.. so i stopped it at that point.. gonna do again tonite

Also this is a commulative process.. it cannot be done all in one day.. also the longer you sit, the more deeper you go. My highest record ever was 3 hours... and for that you need to have a good sitting posture.. If the posture is right, then You should usually lose all consciousness of your body in an hour.. and it will become very light. I started off with sukhasana or chonkri, sometimes padmasana, or just sit on a chair.

AJAPA JAAP

In terms of a layman AJAPA JAAP is the spiritual condition of a person when the Simran goes on an auto pilot mode in your Surat and then in Hirdey and so on as explained below. It means that Simran becomes a round the clock thing inside you, Simran doesn't stop at any moment, it carries on and such a condition comes with Gurkirpa and after a lot of Bhagti Kamai or can also be attained with the Kirpa of a Puran Braham Gyani. The normal sequence is as follows:

1. Jaap with Tounge ? Rasna ? this happens in Dharam Khand

2. Jaap with the breathing ? with Swaas ? this happens in Gyan Khand and Saram Khand

3. Then Naam goes into your mind ? Surat, in your thinking, then it becomes Simran from Jaap ? this is a very good stage ? this happens in Saram Khand and Karam Khand ? some people go into Smadhi at this stage.

4. The next stage is when Simran goes into Hirdey ? this one is even much higher stage when Naam goes into Hirdey ? this is where it goes on an automatic mode, this is where the real bhagti starts, one goes into Smadhi and Sun Smadhi? Karam Khand - this is when you go into Smadhi and the real bhagti starts, your bhagti account is opened in the Dargah.

5. The next stage is when Simran travels to the Nabhi, when Nabhi Kamal blossoms ? Karam Khand

6. The next Stage is when Simran goes into Kundlini ? Mooladhaar Chakkar and spine ? Karam Khand

7. The next stage is when Simran travels through the spine to the brain, and back to Surat where it completes the cycle. This is what the real Mala of Naam is. When this happens then the Gyan Netter and Dassam Duaar opens and you form a permanent connection with Akal Purakh, you start to get divine knowledge ? Braham Gyan. This happens in Sach Khand. Enjoyment ? Anand in Smadhi and Sun Smadhi is beyond description. That is why the Maha Purakhs go into very deep meditation some time for days together. You experience a lot of things during your Smadhi and Sun madhi, see a lot of things, meet a lot of Sants, Gurus, see Param Jyot, conversation with the Sants and Akal Purakh and what not, it is beyond description what happens and through what you go when you go into deep meditation. This is the stage when all the doors ? Bajjar Kapaat are opened and there is a continuous flow of Amrit, body is always full of Amrit.

8. The Simran in Smadhi and Sun Smadhi continues until NIRGUN AND SARGUN becomes one, at this point Simran goes into rom-rom ? every bit of your body does Naam Simran, your Suksham Dehi becomes as pure as gold, your entire body is filled with Naam Amrit all the time. These stages are beyond description. One lives in Puran Parkash all the time and listens to Kirtan all the time. It is just incredible experience. This is when one is directed by the Almighty to serve the Sangat. And this is what your target should be when you have been prompted to move up on Bhagti.

9. Following is the benefit sequence:

Jaap with Rasna 1000 times = Jaap in Swaas one time

Jaap in Swaas 1000 times = Simran in Surat one time

Simran in Surat 1000 times = Simran in Hirdey or elsewhere one time

So Simran in Hirdey and beyond is the most rewarding one. Again some people might think we are getting into counting the benefit, and it is correct to say that we should not indulge in counting, but it is just a way to make the Sangat understand that which way and where Simran will bring what kind of rewards. The 1000 numbers signify that the rewards of Simran in Hirdey are much higher than doing Jaap with Rasna. if you do Jaap with Rasna your Rasna will become pavitter - pious, by doing jaap in along breathing - swass your swass will become pious - pavitter, by doing Simran in mind-Surat-Chit- mind will become pious - pavitter, and that is what you need to do to make your mind pious - pavitter, that is how you will have control on your mind and you will be able to rise above Panj Doots - KAAM, KRODH, LOBH, MOH, AHANKAAR AND ALSO ASA, TRISHNA, MANSHA, NINDYA, CHUGLI, BAKHILI, RAJ, JOBAN, DHAN, MAAL, ROOP, RAS, GANDH, THESE THUGS ? MENTAL SICKNESSES, and when Simran goes in to Hirdey, it will start to absorb all the vital qualities of Akal Purakh and will become a Puran Sant Hirda, and will achieve JIVAN MUKTI - PARAM PADVI-BRAHAM GYAN . The true definition of a Sant is not by wearing a chola ? outside dress and outside rituals, it is the Hirda that becomes Puran Sachyara ? completely truthful and that - HIRDA IS SANT and when the Naam Rattan goes into Hirdey -so please try to understand it and put it into your daily lives to get Naam Rattan planted in your Hirdey - then naam goes to Nabhi and spine and so on, and again it happens by itself and with Gurkirpa and not by our own efforts, it will happen only under Hukam. Again highest AMRIT IS NAAM, so please try to make your life cleaner, rise above Panj Doots, kill your desires and don't

indulge in Nindya, rise above all the doubtsfollow the Braham Gyan of bani in your daily lives, become a Puran Sachyara ? completely truthful person, serve the truth and achieve your goal of Jivan Mukti.

Guest Javanmard

I think it is jsu common sense to recognise that each one of us has different ways of doing simran but one needs to experiment on one's own with help of Maharaj. Sure is that breath techniques are very much recommended specially in Adi Guru Granth Sahib!

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Great post N30 ji

This is a good description of Ajapa jap

In terms of a layman AJAPA JAAP is the spiritual condition of a person when the Simran goes on an auto pilot mode in your Surat and then in Hirdey and so on as explained below. It means that Simran becomes a round the clock thing inside you, Simran doesn't stop at any moment, it carries on and such a condition comes with Gurkirpa and after a lot of Bhagti Kamai or can also be attained with the Kirpa of a Puran Braham Gyani.

everythin comes wit gurkirpa

To all,

I have seen above that lots of methods have been given.

Please can anyone please quote from Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Bhai Gurdas Ji's Baani, or Bhai Nand Lal Ji's Baani or Guru Gobind Singh Ji's baani, any indications about the method of doing simran, saas method, the chakras, the dasam duar and all the various ways and means ..........etc.

Will be obliged.

To all,

Please can anyone please quote from Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Bhai Gurdas Ji's Baani, or Bhai Nand Lal Ji's Baani or Guru Gobind Singh Ji's baani, any indications about the method of doing simran, saas method, the chakras, the dasam duar and all the various ways and means ..........etc.

Will be obliged.

I think Gurbani says that you fully concentrate on Naam - Gurmantar.For Sikh of Satguru Guru Granth Sahib, Gurmantar is Vahiguru.It's all about hooking your mind to Naam.

If you fully concentrate on Naam, and not let any experiences distarct you, you may come to the Light and Sound extravaganza.

Antar Lakshya...Naad...

Very attractive It is.Too bad It has only seen fit to give me only a fully conscious glimpse.Maybe if I stop being such a bad thing.

Does Vahiguru tease?

I went to nanaksar yesterday.. spoke to baba ji there.... he advised me if you cant concentrate on naam simran then do listen to kirtan and leave naam simran out of your schedule for now because he said Kirtan chh bahut man lag janda haie... I m like thats soo true...he said no worries slowly you will start doin naam simran as bhavna towards vaheguroo increases...

I can go for days listening kirtan....

"Kalyug mein Kirtan Pardhana" (SGGS JI)

akaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal hiiiiii akaaaaaaaaaaal

anand hiii anand :D

N 30, thats what I wanted to say. ...and i chose the indirect way to make my point.

As far as my knowledge goes.....Gurbaani emphasises, Keertan. In fact it emphasis, Singing..."Gaavna"...To the best of my knowledge there is no where written about doing exercisses to open Dasam Duar, Chakras etc. or even any strengtheining of such concepts.

"Gun Gaavan Nit Tere, tudh bin avar na jaana mere sahiba" and numerous other examples.

Pranyam, Yoga etc. may be good for physical or mental health...but they have absoluetly no spirtual benefit in the sense of making one meet with God.

At many times Guru Maharaj has written about humility and how one should fal at the feet of the Lord.

All these are the belief of the Jogis, and these were rejected by Guru Maharaj. These things only lead to ego..haume..

Guru Nanak Deve Ji said: Turth is high..Higher still is truthful living..

However if still some can produce some prrofs from gurbaani in support of all the claims ..about Trikuti etc etc...made time and again...above....

please give the same on this post.

Thx

I went to nanaksar yesterday.. spoke to baba ji there.... he advised me if you cant concentrate on naam simran then do listen to kirtan and leave naam simran out of your schedule for now because he said Kirtan chh bahut man lag janda haie... I m like thats soo true...he said no worries slowly you will start doin naam simran as bhavna towards vaheguroo increases...

I can go for days listening kirtan....

"Kalyug mein Kirtan Pardhana" (SGGS JI)

akaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal hiiiiii akaaaaaaaaaaal

anand hiii anand :D

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

thats interesting veer... please post more of your trip

To all,

Will be obliged.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh

Im not sure if there is any such method like that.. all that Sant Isher Singh Ji is sayin to recite waheguru, rest of the stuff are the stages.

Frankly I have seen so many posts about the Yogic concepts .....trikuti etc. above.....that I would once again like to ask all the people who made the posts ....to please answer my question.........

Comon guys shall i take names..that will make it personal..

Laleshvari...u say tha breath technique is supportedin Guru Granth Sahib....Please do quote,,,,,,

Guys and gals Either support the stuff u have said ...orI think the posts should be removed ...

Thanks, I wil read this in detail, but from a prelim view I could make out that there is no method specified or any endorsement of any methods.

The point is not of existence of non-existence of Kundalini etc. but whether Gurbaani endorses that such pratcices be followed (like awakenning of kundalini through Yoga), or whether it says that submission to the Lord, love and singing his praises (naam simnran) will autmatically lead to such a process. The question is whether Gurbaani endorses such concepts as uteering the name of the Lord thousand times....from teh tongue...or whether trying to embibe good qualities by singing his praise.

In fact one of the quotes given is:

"Ravi sasi louke ihu tanu kingaree vaajai sabad niraaree: O Yogi, make this body the harp of Divine Name and the right and left nostrils, the "sun" and the "moon" channels, the strings of this body-harp; then vibrate the wondrous melody of the Shabad (Naam) within (sggs 907 ). "

"Trai Sat angul vaaee audhoo sunn sach aahaao. Gurmukhi bolai tatt virolai cheenai alakh apaaro. Trai gun maitai sabad vasaae taa mann chookai ahankaaro. Antar baahai eki jaanai taa hari naam lagai piaaro. Sukhumunaa irhaa pingulaa boojhai jaa aape alakh lakhaae. Nanak tih te oopari saachaa satigur sabadi sammaae: O Yogi, Name of the True, Absolute Lord is the food or support of the exhaled breath (Praana), which extends out ten finger lengths. By becoming a Gurmukh (Spiritual Being), one churns the Divine Name and thus comes to understand the Reality, and realizes the Unseen, Infinite Being. Eradicating the three qualities of Maya from his mind, he enshrines the Shabad within, and his mind is rid of egotism. In this way, inside and out, when he knows the One Lord alone; he is said to be in love with the Divine Name. When a Gurmukh attains the Divine Understanding, then he understands the Sushumanaa, Irhaa and Pingalaa; he understand that the True being is above the practice of these three channels of energy. Through the Divine Word, the Shabad of the True Guru, one merges with Him (sggs 944)."

So in effect the ways of the Yogis has been criticised not endorsed.

I have not criticised meditating, rather the 'external' ways of meditation being discussed in this forum i.e. the various techniques....which I dont think hold any sway, rather they would lead to more ego.

Such techniques become nothing more than rituals. In effet the posts of N30 and khalsa sum up what should be the tru practice of meditation in sikhi and endorsed by Guru Granth Sahib.

"Ih man nirmal je har gun gavai: By singing Lord's glories, this mind becomes immaculate (sggs 1067). "

Please note that the word used is gavai.....

T Singh has written an elborate article but he is not able to quote anything in support of different 'physical' methods of doing naam simran.

:-)

• 1 month later...

Check this out sangat ji..thought pranayam is not encouraged in sikhi but if you look at it deeply.. lot of sikh mahapursh (ie- baba nand singh ji, baba attar singh ji reru sahib and many others) did khatan tapasaya (pranayam)..you can actually doin this but again doesnt matter for true bhagats of guroo maharaj ji D

I got this from kundalini yoga yahoo discussion group:

Sat Nam,

Many years ago Yogi Bhajan gave me this meditation to do. I can

recommend it. It will raise the energy right up and give you the experience of

your soul. The long deep breath which you must take is also a good pranayam. Try

sixty two minutes a day for ninety days.

Sincerely yours

Hari Sant Singh

Kindness has no defeat, caring has no end, and touching people's hearts is the only language God knows.

--- "Krishan Shiva Kaur" <krishanshivakaur@u...> wrote:

Start by doing some pranayam to open up your lungs, long deep breathing, and a few rounds of breath of fire. And perhaps a couple of warm up exercises to open your chest and loosen your back.

This chant is done quite quickly. Establish a rhythm so that you flow from

each sound into the next.

Wahe guru, wahe guru, wahe guru, wahe jio - flow immediately into the next

repetition.

Wahe guru, wahe guru, wahe guru, wahe jio

Inhale very deeply and fully to begin, then chant mantra 8 times. You will

automatically slowly exhale the breath with the mantra. After you have

finished 8 repetitions, inhale deeply and begin again.

It flows to a regular and even 4 beat rhythm, one beat for each part.

1 - wahe guru

2 - wahe guru

3 - wahe guru

4 - wahe jio.

At the festival in France we practiced this in morning sadhana. One of the

musicians lead the chant by beating his drum to keep the momentum and

rhythm.

I remember when I first started doing this mantra I used to run out of

breath after about 6 repetitions of the mantra. I found that it helped to

be aware of how much breath you release with each word, spreading the

release of breath evenly over the 8 repetions. I also found it helped to

use a gentle control of the chest and lung muscles and using the last bit of

breath from the lower lungs by gently pulling the abdomen towards the spine.

Can anyone recommend a CD for Jonathan which has a good rhythm for the 8

repetitions in one breath?

Sat Nam,

Krishan Shiva Kaur

Hampshire, England.