Female saints in sikhism

taken from sikhnet.

------------

Wah-e-Guruji ka Khalsa,Wah-e-Guruji ki Fateh.

I have read Christian,Islamic and Hindu history and literature and come across female saints in all of them.

I would like to know about some female saints or their names who have left their mark on sikhism or have been a part of it's evolution.

SatSriAkal.

--------------

My question is.. where are female saints jatha or sampardha??? Is it soceity that didnt care much about female saints or should we assume they never existed after 1800 until now :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Please discusss whose fault is it?? :D

I believe that most historians being men have just pushed WOmen a side :?

veer ji very much an possibility :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

somehow i feeel that they were many male puran mahapursh compare to woman in the sikh history....dont know why though??? I might feel that way because they are not popular ones.. their might be bhramgyanan's in their own household.. withouth makin anyone suscipicous..

Guroo maharaj updesh is given to everyone why this wasnt balanced... where did we failed??? did we have majority of historians sexist???? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ..

This question is quite annoying me :cry: :cry: :cry:

Gur Fateh!

From my limited knowledge of such personalities, I am aware of various female students and teachers that are affiliated with the Nirmala Deras...in addition to this, we have traditional saints such as Mira Bai, whose writings appear in close connection with some Sikh Lore and historical writings (although not Gurbani per se) and also of individuals such as Mata Gulab Kaur, who Bhai Randhir Singh mentions in his autobiography as being quite a key influence in his early life.

There is a Lady in the UK who has some form of following which could place her into a category of a Sant (given the treatment and position she holds in her Sangat) however that said, I can't comment further on this as I don't personally know her.

I do recall seeing a book during my travels in the US titled "Female (or Women -not sure now) Saints of India"...it charted and delved into the matter quite extensively...however as I say I only saw it and didn't get too far into reading it...

[by the way, does anyone know anything further about Mata Gulab Kaur, over and above that found in the Autobiography of Bhai Randhir Singh?]

Fateh ji

Are you talking about the female mahapursh in Bham? She is known as "bibi ji" as far as I know and haven't really had the need to know her name. She has done alot of sewa in India and has also got an award from the Queen for voluntary service. They do kirtan at Bebe Nanki Gurdwara in Bham and hold satsangs at their house.

That is all I know, so if anyone else has something to add, please do so.

Fateh ji

Fateh ji

Are you talking about the female mahapursh in Bham? She is known as "bibi ji" as far as I know and haven't really had the need to know her name. She has done alot of sewa in India and has also got an award from the Queen for voluntary service. They do kirtan at Bebe Nanki Gurdwara in Bham and hold satsangs at their house.

That is all I know, so if anyone else has something to add, please do so.

Fateh ji

I have also heard of here from my freind.. who is very close to sant baba puran singh ji england walie.. my freind used to live in kenya now he is living here in canada.. i have seen picture of bibi ji.. i ll get to scan the picture if i can from here and get more information about bibi ji.. and . put it up here... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

ssa! hey! i think n3o singh put up a GREAT post, its so true, there are not a lot of females recognised in sikhism, even tho it is considered an equal gender religion... i find its preached but not practiced... thankfully things have changed and many women are getting recognised and known, but its sad to think our past didn't highlight the many that probably were equally great role models for sikhs!

keep on smiling people! :sikhigrin: (and i say again i think there needs to be a smily wid a chunni on! lol

I can't remember where, but I added a post about female Nirmalae a few months back on this forum...I know of at least one Nirmala akhara in Haridwar created in honour of a female sant, and likewise, the famous (on Sony TV I'm told) Anandmurti Gurumaa is a shish of a Nirmala.

Paramjit Singh of UKPHA in his recent talk also had an old b&w photo of a 'female Sikh preacher' from east India...who looked as though she could be from a samprda (tilak, mala).

..Mai Gurcharan Singh of Rajgir (Bihar), picture was taken in the 1920s.

Thats very unsual.. i meant i have seen singhs with having kaur names like- kaur singh nd such but i have never seen kaurs having singh name :shock: :shock:

Waheguru Je Ka Khalsa. Waheguru Je Ke Fateh!

It was really nice to see the women preachers on the photo album. However I am feeling that womens are so under-represented in the Sikh Panth.

It has got to the stupid level where we use pictures and the examples to try and convince the masses that we Sikhs are so egalitarian.

There is a wide gap inbetween the theory and the practice. As a women, and as a Sikh, it continually passes my mind why this is so?

I wish to share with the sangat my feelings about this.

It is my feeling that there is a great masculinity in Sikhism, which is swapping the femaninity of the ladies. The femanine ideals in Gurus bani has been left to the side.

It has become a macho affair, the slander and fighting on these boards often show this.

I am begging my brothers and sisters, please take a softer attitude to life. You only turn people away, by acting like foolish mean childs.

Yours sincerely,

Navleen Kaur

• 3 months later...

If anyone know about any female sant mahatama in our sikh history.

Please nihal us with a story, sakhiyas .. just anything..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Akaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal hiiiiiiiiii akaaaaaaaaaaaaaal

anand hiiiiiiiiiiiiiii anand :D :D

• 5 weeks later...

an update;

Check the 'Sant's' section for a profile on an Udasi sadhvi (female sadhu) who is alive right now. I shall add another photo when I know how to access it (it's in apple format or something?). There is another Udasi sadhvi I have seen who lives in a famous akhara, gives out prasad. If anyone needs more info pm me.

• 3 years later...
  • 8 years later...

Please listen to Gyani Inderjit Singh jee Raqbewale, narrating a Sakhi related to a female saint.

Please start listening after 45:00 min:

http://www.gurmatveechar.com/audios/Katha/02_Present_Day_Katha/Sant_Giani_Inderjeet_Singh_(Raqbe_wale)/Giani.Inderjeet.Singh.(Raqbe.wale)--Sri.Guru.Granth.Sahib.Ji.Katha-.Ang.0495--Har.Dhan.Jaap.Har.Dhan.Taap.mp3

Bhul chuk maaf