Wot does da word Waheguru really mean?

Our Gurus' had a really goood way wid words, i tink i've heard dat Gurmuki is a combination of 16 Lanuages written in Punjabi text.

So this means der r Arabic words in Gurmuki.

My Afgan Muslim mate asked me wot u call God by. I said Waheguru.

Den he started saying Waheguru, Waheguru. Den he said Wahed'Guru.

Den he said dat Wahed means One in Arabic.

Wahe' i tink was den an Adaptation to Gurmuki? Meaning 1.

Waheguru = One God.

Tell me wot u guys tink.

http://www.safeplace.net/members/mer/BAI-III.html

Sat Sri Akal:

Sat Sri Akal:

My lowly opinion (want a real answer...ask the Panj Pyare)!!!. But here we go:

Vaheguru - three parts:

Vah - people translate this as wonderful or great. But is is closer to saying WOW when someone is in awe of something. Indians, when they are amazed by someone talent or art say "Vah, Vah Phlana Singh". It is that Vah that is the first part of Vaheguru.

he (pronounced hay) - similar to addint " O' " in front of Lord as done by Christians. So it is like saying "O' Lord" as in O' Lord, I beseech you.

Guru - Guru meaning the Almighty here. Guru itself splits into two words. Ru, which means light and Gu, which means darkness. Put together, it means that which sheds light upon darkness.

So put the three together:

Vaheguru = "WOW O Lord who sheds light where there is darkness."

Lotta words packed into one word eh?

thats the beauty of gurbani it has thousands of meanings yet only one constant meaning anek yet ek, hence the need for some kind of learning be it santhia or learning of sanskrit and other language systems before one can read bani.

There is a book written by a Nirmala which is a whole list of all (or a lot of) the meanings of the gurmantar and beejmantar.

vaheguru can be vahed guru - one lord

it can also be read as va he guru - wonderous lord

vahe gu ru - wonderful (that which brings one from) dark to light

or as bhai gurdas ji explains..

satjug = vasdev, --- VA

duaparyug = harikrishan --- Ha (he)

treta = Ram --- Ra (ru)

Kalyug = gobind --- (Gu)

VA-HE-GU-RU

bhai gurdas ji vara 1||49||1|

satjug = vasdev, --- VA

treta = Ram --- Ra (ru)

Kalyug = gobind --- (Gu)

VA-HE-GU-RU

Thats exactly what i heard from one of sant jarnail singh khalsa bhindranwale's tape long time back if i remember correctly :D

Writer: Amar Deep Singh

Further to the information provided in the earlier postings relating to the Gur-Mantra ‘Waheguru’, the origin and definition of which sparks as many answers as there are questioners, please find below yet another source of foundation and meaning for the mantra ‘Waheguru’ as given by the legendary rishi Patanjali in his Yoga Sutras (taken from a lecture given by Yogi Harbhajan Singh Khalsa –extract 1 below).

I am also told that Monks in Eastern Europe during the middle ages would chant “Wahu Wahu†although I personally have no evidence to support this notion, however a similar practice can be witnessed today amongst Namdharis in their Sangats at their Bhaani Sahib HQ.

One interesting notion, albeit not related directly to this topic, from article (1) below is what is referred to as “Trikuti†which I understand refers to ‘Trinity’ or composed of three parts (Wahe Gu Ru). I have come across similar references elsewhere and indeed across many other religious traditions.

Trinity (3) is often regarded as a reference to ‘form’ (as it requires three sides to form a triangle -the most basic of forms) and we find this manifest across many spiritual notions;- “Father, Son & Holy Ghostâ€; “Brahma, Vishnu & Shivaâ€; “Sat, Chit & Anandâ€...or indeed in the Trah Mudra of “Kesh, Kirpan/Karad & Kachera†of Khalsa warriors of old (see extract 4 below ) and the Akali Nihang Maryada of “Adi Guru Darbar, Dasam Guru Darbar & Sarabloh Guru Darbar†(see extract 3 below).

I also provide below another article in this regard taken from ‘Conversations with God’ –for which I have no web reference, although page references are provided for the book). (Extract 2 below)

The exact relationship these notions bear to the GurMantra Waheguru and the Sikh Tradition, I cannot comment upon;- this information is provided here solely for information purposes only, although I would welcome any commentary on this trend from the Sadh Sangat.

As per the discussion thus far, I am familiar with the derivation of the Wa-He-Gu-Ru mantra in Bhai Gurdas Ji Ki Varan from mantras supposedly connected with the four ages, however as shown already in these threads this notion needs to be approached with caution.

I do feel that ultimately we should look to the Sikh Sri Guru for final guidance over and above tradition, scholarly references, rehit namas, janam sakhis or other source. The Sri Guru Granth Sahib is our fundamental source on all matters and as such the account provided by Prabhjyot Kaur is perhaps most constructive. Further to this, meditation upon the Gurmantra, as repeated advocated by the Sri Guru, is the only way to further delve into its mysteries and wonder...

Please forgive any errors in the foregoing.

Forever at the feet of the Sadh Sangat,

Amar Deep Singh

NOTES REFERRED TO:

(1) Waheguru Mantra

(Taken from http://www.snsm.org.my/library/yogiji/yogi_v1.htm)

It is a trikuti mantra. Waheguru is not anybody's personal mantra, it is not a mantra only of the Sikhs, either. Patanjali thousands of years ago, when he writes the future of the world, in what is called Push Puran, he predicts the future about Nanak. He predicts about the power of the mantra Waheguru by saying in his own words:

WAAH YANTEE KAAR YANTEE JAG DOOTPATEE

AADIK IT WAAHAA,

BRAHMAA DEH TRAYSHA GURU

IT WAH-HAY GURU.

Great Macroself, Creative Self, All that is creative through time,

All that is the Great One

These aspects of the Guru: Brahma, Vishnu, Mahesh (Shiva)

That is Waheguru.

(Patanjali - Push Puran)

Rishi Patanjali explained the totality of the universe. He says that this is the mantra of the One who creates, the One who organises, the One who delivers. Tresha Guru: three aspects of life which is called God. The sound is wa-he guru. The force is at the "he" not at the "wa", not at the "guru". Wa-he Guru.

(2) UNITY WITHIN TRINITY OF MANY LABELS

(From the book - Conversations with God - page 72 & 73 whereby the Infinite apparently speaks through a medium in the first person)

You are a three fold being. Body, mind and spirit.

Physical, non-physical and meta-physical.

This is the Holy Trinity and it has been called by many names. That which you are, I am.

I AM MANIFESTED AS THREE IN ONE

(Personal note: the ONE alone is the source substance of the three, it is the substratum upon and within which the three exist as one ocean exists within countless surface waves).

Some of your theologians have called this Father, Son and the Holy Spirit.

Your psychiatrists have recognized this triumvirate and called it conscious, sub-conscious and super-conscious.

Your philosophers have called it the id, the ego and the super-ego.

Science calls this energy, matter and anti-matter.

Poets speak of mind, heart and soul.

New Age thinkers refer to body, mind and spirit.

Your time is divided into past, present and future.

Could this not be the same as sub-conscious, conscious and superconscious?

Space is likewise divided into three: here, there and the space between.

It is defining and describing this 'space between' that becomes elusive. The moment you begin defining or describing, the space you describe becomes 'here' or 'there.' Yet we know this 'space between' exists. It is what holds 'here' and 'there' in place - just as the eternal now holds 'before' and 'after' in place.

Those three aspects of you are actually three energies. You might call them thought, word and action.

All three put together produce a result - which in your language and understanding is called a feeling or experience.

(3) Tareek (History of Gatka) (Taken from http://www.gatka.de)

Shastar Vidyaa is a part of the vast Vedic tradition which dates back nearly ten thousand years. Yoga, Meditation, Aryuvedic medicine also share these same roots. Shastra Vedia is the complete science of war from hand to hand combat to battlefield strategy. It was exported to the oriental along with Buddhism and became the foundation for the Chinese and Japanese martial art tradition.

The Rajputs had developed an entire culture around their knowledge of Shastar Vidyaa that lasted for centuries. But by the time the Muslims had invaded India their once proud martial tradition had degenerated in nothing more than rituals and dogma. A very significant event took place during this time. Fifty two of the last remaining princes of Rajastan where taken prisoner by the Muslims. In desperation to free them the Sikh Guru Hargobind of the Punjab was approached for help. He had had many skirmishes with the Muslims and had begun to form an army of his own. Guru Hargobind was successful in freeing the princes and in gratitude the Rajputs taught he and his fledging Sikh army Shastar Vidyaa.

The tenth spiritual master of the Sikhs Guru Gobind Singh would bring the Vidyaa to its fruition. By enjoining the spiritual tradition passed on to him through the nine successive Sikh Gurus and the knowledge contained within Shastar Vidyaa he created the basics of Sikh Dharma. PREVIOUS TO GURU GOBIND SINGH THE SIKHS HAD A SINGLE HOLY BOOK KNOWN AS THE ADI GRANTH. TO THIS HE ADDED TWO OTHER GRANTHS, SARAB LO GRANTH AND DHASAM GRANTH WHICH CONTAIN THE MARTIAL TRADITION OF THE VIDYAA. The marriage of these spiritual and temporal powers was embodied in the elite warriors known as Nihangs. Through the strength of their Dharma the Nihangs eventually drove out the Muslims and Moghals from India and permanently close Indian's northern border to invasion.

Ranjit Singh was a Sikh king who ruled over Punjab for many years. Although he was a small and awkward man he enlisted and trained some of the most dynamic Sikh warriors ever. So strong was his fighting force that he and his brave Singhs stopped the land hungry British in their conquest of India. With all the resources the British had available to them they chose not to attempt an invasion of Punjab while Ranjit was king.

Rather they allowed the empire to collapse from within. Sadly the wealth and prosperity of the Sikh kingdom had corrupted it. Betrayal, murder and conspiracy with the British after the Ranjits death reduced the once great empire to ashes in a matter of days. The British never had to fire a shot to seizes control of the riches of the Punjab.

Even with the Punjab effectively enslaved by the British the Sikhs were still a dangerous force to deal with. Again rather than confront the Sikhs directly and chance a holy war the British infiltrated them. Their plan was to convert Sikh Dharma in a branch of Christianity and thus pacify the Sikhs forever. British controlled Sikh religious and political parties were established as a means to subvert the Dharma. The two Granths written by Guru Gobind Singh which formed the TRIAD OF THE DHARMA were removed from the temples. They were replaced with table organs known as harmoniums to add a Christian flavor to the Sikh worship. Weapons of any sort were banned in Punjab with the threat of life imprisonment and the confiscation of land.

(4) The Tat Khalsa (taken from http://philtar.ucsm.ac.uk/encyclopedia/sikhism/khalsa.html)

The inauguration of the Khalsa was a symbolic event: to transform sparrows into hawks, deer into lions, saints into soldiers. This is further evidenced by the assumption of a new name, a new code of conduct and a new dress or uniform. The latter consisted of the "five K's", or "Panj Kakke": Kesh (uncut hair), Kangha (comb), Kara (iron or steel bangle), Kirpan (sword, dagger), Kach (shorts). The uniform evidently kept the persecuted Sikhs united, and distinct. This is the traditional account, however. NOT ALL THE FIVE K'S ARE MENTIONED IN THE RELEVANT LITERATURE ONLY THREE: KESH, KIRPAN AND KACH, AND WHEN FIVE ARE MENTIONED IT ADDS BANI (I.E. THE WORD OF THE GURUS WRITTEN AS SCRIPTURE) AND SADHSANGAT (THE COMPANY OF SAINTS). It is only in the 19th century that the five traditional K's are mentioned. Either way this highly visible identity had a symbolic gesture: to show all, especially the Mughals, that this is who Sikhs were, Warrior Singhs, and that they were immanently prepared to die fighting for their faith.

2 Pauree that may help....

"The root letters of Va-eh Guru are four,

It is with certainty the [Highest] word of contemplation in the four Yugas,

Sat, Treta, Dwaapur and Kal Yug know,

Vava, Haha, Gagha contemplate well in the mind,

Rara is fourth, there are now four letters,

Vasudev, Har, Gobind take,

Raam, the proper letter of contemplation,

Combining the four, utter Va-eh Guru,

The Mantra of essence, the essence of four letters,

Va eh Guru with certainty is the Mantra,

Combining the letters was it said,

Siri Guru Nanak contemplated it."

from: Akali Nihang Guru Gobind Singh Ji, Sarbloh Guru Durbar

"In Sat Yuga, Sat Gur said contemplate Vava [V] derived from Vasudev,

In Dwapar Sat Gur commanded contemplate Haha [H] Har Har derived from Hari Krishan,

In Treta Sat Gur said contemplate Rara [R] derived from Raam, and attain peace,

In Kal Yug, Nanak is Guru, contemplate Gagha [G] derived from Gobind,

The four Avtars of the four Yugas merge in the fifth [Va-eh Guru],

Combining the four letters in one making Va-eh Guru the Mantra of contemplation Guru said contemplate,

The Mantra from where it emerged [Nir Gun], in it will it [sar Gun] merge again [ie. Sar Gun to Nir Gun]."

Apologies for any mistakes that may have occured in the transiliterations.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 16 years later...

Wot does da word Waheguru really mean?

Well, to put  it in simple words, Wahe means wonderful, and Guru means, the Being (Supraconsciouss creative and sustainer Power of all that exists, seen or unseen), who takes us (jeevatmas), from the realm of darkness, which is all the triloki mayavee and nashvant creation, to the realm of akhoot Jot, which is Sach Khand, the true and eternal abode of Satnam, Akal Purukh, with the power of Nam,  or that Power which is also known as Shabad Guru.

SSA.

• 2 months later...
On 12/4/2003 at 7:37 AM, Dynamic_Banda said:

thats the beauty of gurbani it has thousands of meanings yet only one constant meaning anek yet ek, hence the need for some kind of learning be it santhia or learning of sanskrit and other language systems before one can read bani.

There is a book written by a Nirmala which is a whole list of all (or a lot of) the meanings of the gurmantar and beejmantar.

vaheguru can be vahed guru - one lord

it can also be read as va he guru - wonderous lord

vahe gu ru - wonderful (that which brings one from) dark to light

or as bhai gurdas ji explains..

satjug = vasdev, --- VA

treta = Ram --- Ra (ru)

Kalyug = gobind --- (Gu)

VA-HE-GU-RU

bhai gurdas ji vara 1||49||1|

Very well explained! And this whole explanation is correct according to Gurbani.

• 5 months later...

Many years ago, i recall talking to sant baba jagjit singh ji maharaj harkhowale regarding Vahiguru arths, there is one more than 100 antriv arths and arths of Vahiguru mantar in a old literature. It be good if some does more digging and share it with everyone. 

Vahi-Wonderstruck

Guru- Infinite Awareness/light/consciousness

Wonderstruck or vismad because its devotional always in sifat salah and in wow in reverence as Vahiguru pulls you in during jaap, more and more absorption as you walk on the path.