Exercise & Fitness -Share your routines & Ideas!

Niranjana

Gur Fateh!

I’m starting this thread for those members of the forum who participate in, or wish to participate in martial and physical training. Whilst acknowledging the variety of people on the forum (from students to professional to lecturers et al) all with their own particular challenges to finding time and energy to adequately engage a meaningful exercise programme, I would be grateful if we could share our personal thoughts and experiences in this format.

To begin with I present below the weights-circuit routine I followed for a while after having spent a year doing split training with heavy use of drop sets, working out to failure and such like heavy routines 5-6 days a week and realising that this heavy bodybuilder style workout wasn’t going to work for me given time restrictions (City-working lifestyle), lack of sleep and my natural endomorphic frame.

I settled for this weights circuit routine as it was more effective for my requirements vis-a-vis martial practice (the old routine described above would leave me worn out by the time I came to my martial classes and yoga sessions, hence discarding it). This can be done within 25 mins and doesn’t fatigue you into over training when combined with regular martial arts practice. The circuit aspect allows for a degree of cardiovascular training too, however cardio in addition to this is recommended.

I’ve tried to keep weights down to a minimum, as the idea is really to develop functional strength for use in Martial Arts. PLEASE NOTE: That these exercises should be supplemented with regular cardiovascular activity (running, biking or swimming) and good 5-10 warm-up and stretching. I cannot stress the importance of this, as my eventual injury from this programme was caused simply by me skimping on these factors (owing to increased workloads reducing time) and not a fault of the programme per se. Please don’t make the same mistake!

Some of the movements used are strenuous and I request anyone attempting to use this method seeks to ensure full warm up and stretching is adhered to, if you have lower back problems, I do not recommend you follow this without prior consultation with a doctor.

Weights Circuit –all exercises to be performed in the order given (super setting antagonistic muscles against each other) one after another with no rest until end. Repeat process twice. [Entire Circuit to be only performed 3 times a week with a days rest in between]

Superset 1: Upper Body

-Bent Over Barbell Row (12x Palms Down Grip, 12x Palms Up Grip –If possible, one can replace these with Chin Ups)

-Push Ups (Military Push Up x 25; Wide Push Up x 20; Narrow Push Up x 15; If you’re feeling adventurous, also try Desi Dands)

Superset 2: Legs

-Deadlift (with barbell) x 12 reps (These can be replaced by Hamstring Raises off a Chair or Swiss Ball)

-Squat x 20 reps

Superset 3: Arms

-Barbell Curl x 10 reps

-Tricep Dips x 20 reps

Finish off with Ab – Work (Crunches, Leg Raises and Cobra stretches)

Please offer any feedback you may have on the foregoing and feel free to ask any questions, but more importantly please add your own routines and experiences to this thread. Finally, as we already have plenty of other threads dealing with weapons and heritage and such like, I’d like to limit this to actual. Also, let’s not limit this to weights only, I have also used Yoga, Tai Chi and other moving meditation aspects to supplement my personal training and would welcome all related matters.

Again I’d like to stress the key elements I’d like to have addressed on this thread:-

(1) Exercise; weights, circuits, yoga, pilates, desi, chinese, aerobics et al...

(2) nutrition; building up from a vegetarian diet? Balanced punjabi diet –does this exist today??? What ideas do you have for ensuring adequate protein, carbs, fat ratios in your diet?

(3) rest/recovery; this is the most important and most neglected aspect of training and I am certainly guilty of it! It is also the most difficult in my experience to combine with a professional working life and an Amritdhari Sikh lifestyle with the already reduced sleeping hours (remember though, rest is not only sleep!)...please offer your input...

Look forward to hearing from you all!

GUR BAR AKAAAAALLLL!!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amrik Singh,

I agree with your sentiments. I only began using them after much experience, since then I have used alternative methods (one example was provided).

I don't follow the system exactly as I described above, it has since involved with less and less emphasis on weights owing to my lifestyle and requirements. That said, I presented this here as it can easily be changed into a heavy weight workout (replace push ups wiht Bench Presses (wide and narrow), use tricep machines, lat pulldowns...)

....used to do all these before when I was a member of a gym, I'm now working on a complete weight free regime from my experiences and incorporating more and more desi and chinese style exercises...but that's me!

I wouldn't bother doing the deadlift

its crushes your spine and will likely to have even more back problems

mugermach wrote:

Quote:

those that go swimming, what do you do with ur kakars.

because of my NIhang kare well... I sink

lol, i remember once i went swimming and clonked some dude over the head whilst doing the forward stroke. :shock: good thing he didnt bleed otherwise every1 would have known... Even better i wasnt doing the breast stroke otherwise he would have had a broken nose......

those that go, what do you do with your kirpan...

well you mentioned vegetarian and balanced diet in the same sentence, and I do believe it can be done..for a girl that is but i don't know about a guy...u probably just have to eat more.

most folks make the mistake of trying to cut out fat from their diet, but actually I believe fat is a friend and the real enemy is sugar...and stress. No matter what you eat, if you suffer from stress it will all have an impact on your digestive system, your immune system and your brain (cortisol) and sugar is empty..devoid of minerals unless you use pure unrefined sugar. (very dark brown..almost black in colour) 8)

I have almonds that have been soaked in water overnight, and these can be peeled and eaten or peeled and crushed , mixed with milk and drunk like that or with a slight buttery thurka done for extreme mental benefits (i have been told). theres good omega oils in there i think but with it have sunflower seeds, linseeds (or flaxseeds) and some other nuts. Contrary to popular belief..girls these will not make you put on weight. :shock:

Tofu/soya chunks cooked like a sabhjee and with lots of vegetables will be more protein too, and I never use low fat or ordinary margerines, if I'm going to use fat (i rarely do) I use organic butter, ie on toast.

Toast is either seeded batch, or wholemeal bread (fibre). however a good breakfast is porridge oats. Thats when i can be bothered to have breakfast. :roll:

umm, I'm not perfect i got my bad habits, but to try to eat well is the goal. :wink:

Lots of semi skimmed milk, fruits (in a drink via juicer is the best way to eat these) and every day have roti with sabhjee or dahl. Its surprisingly good for you and tasty!! :idea: :idea:

oooh ooh also when eating fruits and vegetables try to get organic ones, (not pumped with hormones and pesticides) and when doing thurka to sabhjee or dahl, do it with olive oil. Also pleanty of tomatoes, ginger, garlic should be added to the thurka...

In winter have tea laced with ginger and sonff. Easy on the sonff and almonds in summer though...

And when I eat, as a general rule I don't drink water one hour before or after a meal but have a little bit of warm water halfway through my meal. (i think this is aruyvedic)

In the morning have a massive glass of warm water with 25ml of pure unrefined aloe vera juice. remember breakfast 1 hour after this.

wake up in morning - turn around in bed - go back to sleep (burns off 2 calories turning around so thats the same as eating a tictak.. )

walk to bathroom and hit foot into door - swearing and jumping (-200 calories)

singing and dancing in shower (-another 200 calories)

running from mom after making mess in bathroom and leaving towel on floor (- 200 calories)

sit down infront of tv and constant switching over of channels (maha finger workout) (- 200 calories)

walking up and down stairs to use toilet (-200 calories)

eating .. humm wonder if i burn off calories while eating? must use some kinda energy (-200 calories)

another several hours of watching tv (-200 calories)

typing useless replies on sikhawareness (-1200 calories)

so as you can see my daily routine is so harsh i end up burning off

2600 calories thats 1300 tic taks. over 108 days of minty fresh breath.

I find the only downfall in this routine is

a) Not very accurate (at all)

B) affected by the doing of prayers, as they break up the routine and you end up burning off no calories, this routine is strictly not for the religious..

wake up in morning - turn around in bed - go back to sleep (burns off 2 calories turning around so thats the same as eating a tictak.. )

running from mom after making mess in bathroom and leaving towel on floor (- 200 calories)

sit down infront of tv and constant switching over of channels (maha finger workout) (- 200 calories)

eating .. humm wonder if i burn off calories while eating? must use some kinda energy (-200 calories)

B) affected by the doing of prayers, as they break up the routine and you end up burning off no calories, this routine is strictly not for the religious..

MEGA LOL :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Its quite an routine my freind :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

lol lol lol

amrik - deadlifts are like the best excersice ever if ur weight training - and squats too - theres no benefit in the desi style of biceps n chest every day :LOL:

that reminds me... gotta sign back up at the gym :o

Don't sign on at any gym.

If you have to sign on, make sure it's at the dole office, while you're on a break from a construction job.

Gyms are for the shaved-chest treadmill-running headset-and-lycra-wearing sauna boys. Not for training warriors.

A tip: if you're married, don't let your wife go to the gym, even if it's the modern thing to do.

(The above was written while listening to a techno track on my Sennheisers, bidding me to "Shut up, if you have nothing to say - shut up! Say nothing!")

Niranjana,

Are you sure your routine is INTENSIVE ENOUGH???

Gur Fateh!

Shasterkovich (great name!), the routine I highlighted is not one I follow at present. Prior to cracking down to the aforementioned routine, I did have a very intensive split routine 5-6 times a week with some pretty heavy lifting for a small person like me, but I would even throw a punch the following day!

The above mentioned streamlined routine was done in conjunction with 2-3 times a week sessions of martial arts practice and sparring (which also incorporated some physical exercises) and also cardio work (running and biking) at the same frequency. In view of this, I cut back on the workout to allow for enough energy and reduced soreness for martial practice.

Having looked at the write up again, I must say it doesn't fully reflect the set up e.g.

Superset 1 would actual be nonstop as follows:

-Bent Over Barbell Row (BOBR) x 12 -15 reps (palms down grip)

-25 Military Push Ups

-BOBR x 12 -15 reps (palms down grip)

-20 Wide Push Ups

-BOBR x 12 -15 reps (palms down grip)

-15 narrow/centreline/diamond push ups

-BOBR x 12 -15 reps (palms up grip)

-25 Military Push Ups

-20 Wide Push Ups

-15 narrow/centreline/diamond push ups

This would constitute one set (i.e. with no rest in between movements/exercises) and would be repeated 2-3 times in the circuit.

To keep tails on the intensity, I would limit the time required for the exercise and on occasion employ the heavy/light system from one week to the other and vary some of the exercises (i.e. subsititute Bench Presses for Push ups etc).

After the workout, a solid 15-20 mins of deep stretching is fantastic altogether with some breathing exercises.

Again, this is an old routine I used (about 6 months ago) and following an injury I acquired recently have investigated other types of functional exercises before imcreasing the intensity.

Please continue to provide your thougths on the matter, this is great!!!

Nihalo Jeeo, great news on the nutrition -you remind me of myself (vis-a-vis the Almonds!).

Thanks to all for their input (and the humour too!), keep it coming!

Yours,

Niranjana.

Amrik Singh,

I agree with your sentiments. I only began using them after much experience, since then I have used alternative methods (one example was provided).

I don't follow the system exactly as I described above, it has since involved with less and less emphasis on weights owing to my lifestyle and requirements. That said, I presented this here as it can easily be changed into a heavy weight workout (replace push ups wiht Bench Presses (wide and narrow), use tricep machines, lat pulldowns...)

....used to do all these before when I was a member of a gym, I'm now working on a complete weight free regime from my experiences and incorporating more and more desi and chinese style exercises...but that's me!

there is something similar to da deadlift

get two dumbells and pullweights to "shoulder level", similar sort of effect but much more safer