Exercise & Fitness -Share your routines & Ideas!

Niranjana

get two dumbells and pullweights to "shoulder level", similar sort of effect but much more safer

Gur Fateh!

Amrik Singh, thanks for your comments! Yes this is a version I have used too. In fact, to be honest, those training for martial arts, I would recommend using dumbells over barbells, as they allow for more movement and independence (useful for your fighting!).

Cheers,

Keep 'em coming!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you guys lift all this wieght, what is your breathing pattern... what do you strive for.... do you breath heavy when lifting heavy weights, i.e make funny noise's, grunt arg etc. lol, if so, how does this help increase the strength in your muscles.

or do your not breathe heavily or try to hold your breath and facial expression becasue none of those muscles are actually lifting anything...

OK, back to the topic, any thoughts on the impact of the DOMs (Delayed On Set Muscle Fatigue) and waking up Amrit Vela and combining with 12 hour working days?

Also, what do you folks do with your shasters when running and swimming etc (in former case, I know a Kamkarkaasa usually works well) and if you're that way inclined when in the Sauna and other health treatments of a similar kind?

[Moderators, this thread belongs under Sikh martial arts/Nihangs. Please put it back. Thanks]

In the sauna? You must be joking... Saunas, as you probably know, serve no useful health benefit. Sauna users are worthy of punishment by flogging, for being twerps. If you have to use a sauna, make sure you have a knife with you. You can never tell with those guys. The way to carry it is as a boot knife, except without a sheath. Your wrap it around your lower leg like a bandage, and make sure you tie a small length of string to the end of the handle, and that the string comes out of the layers of bandage so you can draw the knife. Everyone will think you're a sportsman, wearing a bandage.

DOMs: There is a drug and supplement combination called ACE or something like that, which I think includes steroids of some sort, and which will take away the fatigue and really speed up muscle repair. It also contains some kind of neuro-stimulant, and painkillers. If you're not using painkillers every day to train (whether or not you have an injury), you are not training effectively. Codeine-based painkillers are best, and will take away the pain from training. You must use the technology. That's what it's there for.

I do a lot of finger-training when typing in useless replies on SikhAwareness. I do this when I have nothing better to do and when I've run out of business start-up ideas.

Your point about keeping shasters when swimming is an important one. When I was a kid, there was a swimming pool and a slide next to it which some of us used to use twice a week or something like that. A friend followed in too close (a very poor swimmer), and panicked. He grabbed my neck and thrashed about (I was under water) and I could'nt get out of the headlock, despite my best efforts. I began to breathe in water and lose muscle power when they dragged me out. If I had a knife on me down there, I could have cut his tendons loose easily.

If you wanted to assassinate someone, doing it when they were swimming by holding their head under water would make it look like an ordinary drowning (if they have a bump on their head). Therefore you should carry a knife in your pants (long shorts type) when swimming. It should be easy to strap it to your thigh or tie it to your drawcord.

Niranjana, have you thought about subscribing to some sort of exercise and fitness magazine?

Gur Fateh!

Shasterkovich! Sri Bhaugautee Ji Sahai!

Thank you for a most engaging and humorous reply!

The Sauna is not something I personally use, as for guys in the 20’s in particular it can lead to all sorts of problems from the over heating of...how does one say it, “Thakur Sioâ€...yes that would be it! Back when I used to train at a Gym (I now train at home), I used to make use of the steam room frequently after a heavy workout to make use of the methol inhalation amongst other things...all I remember is my kara would heat up like crazy and scald my wrist! Whilst I don’t use such facilities at present, I know of other Singhs/Singhnees who do and ask the question generically...but I like your idea with the towel wrap for the shaster...

As per DOMs, I note your comments on supplements, however I know not everyone here is fine with using supplements in this fashion...I don’t think you need to use painkillers for effective training...however, there must be more natural alternatives to the ‘technology’ you mention...I have tired some in the past, however would be interested in hearing more from the forum...Nihalo mentioned some interesting cocktails/tonics she makes from milk, almonds and oils...anymore on this front???

As per the swimming...LOL!!! You’re too funny!!! I must admit that the idea of keeping Sarabloh down my Kachhera whilst swimming or otherwise, doesn’t appeal!!! Anymore ideas for this...I mean practical ideas, so one can swim in any stroke without having their style/efforts compromised.

As per subscribing to some sort of exercise and fitness magazine –I have read many and learnt a lot from them...however, they’re all intended for heavy meat-eating, heavy supplement taking athletes who do not have the pressures of a city working life nor do they have the routine of a warrior (after-all, why would you knacker a muscle group so much that you can’t do anything with it for the next 3-5 days? Fine for fitness models, useless for ‘Tyar-par-tyar’ Yodhas!)...that said, these publications do have their merits and I have used a lot of their ideas adapted for myself...just interested in hearing more from the forum for their experiences.

Gur Bar Akaal!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest harkirat singh

I enjoy running. Why not go for a 30 minute jog on the nearest field available? Jogging, running or sprinting builds your durability to run, pumps up the cardiovascular system, and helps you stay weight. In addition, it helps you lose fat, while maintaining a healthy diet. It also tones down your legs..

What else can I say? Stick to this, and you'll be set for life. 3 times a week is good, but if you do it everyday, you will be super fit.

Remember to drink atleast 8 glasses of water a day, it is very healthy

• 2 months later...

Anyone here done any yoga in the past? What were your experiences?

I used to do Astanga (Hatha Yoga) which was a great body developer and mind calmer...need to desperately get back into it...anyone got any thoughts on Yoga and Yogic lifetsyle (diet, meditation...not the running away to the woods part!)

NiranJana,

I just pop in a Wicked Yoga DVD and do what ever routine, this is what got me started:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...&s=dvd&n=507846

I prefer 'Livings Arts' DVDs over any other because the ambience allows you to get right into it. after you finish your Yoga routine then try meditation (so much easier to focus).

For diet check this out:

http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/diet/home.asp

Meditation:

http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/meditation/techniques.asp

• 1 month later...

THE ANATOMY OF STRENGTH

By Bob Whelan

The "politically correct" climate of today tends to de-emphasize anything masculine. Since strength and manhood have a close historical connection, the definition of the terms strength and muscle have been cleverly repackaged. People have been brainwashed to associate being "defined," "cut," "ripped" (or simply having a low body fat percentage) with being strong and muscular. With this new definition, all sorts of gimmicks can now be targeted to men and women of all ages. The term strength, properly used, could describe a 500 pound squat. Being strong is not to, "look like the latest Hollywood stud on the nightly tabloid show." Due to the fitness craze, the standard to be called strong is at an all-time low.

The terms "strong" and "muscular" today, are indeed commonly used to define only a certain look or image. Movie and soap stars are called strong when they are nothing but abs, low bodyfat and a tan. These "estrogen men" are described as strong and muscular when it really has more to do with their image than how much weight they can lift! If we could see their training poundages, it could be a new comedy series! If I see another TV commercial for exercise videos that describe aerobic training with 3 pound dumbbells as "strength training," I am going to vomit! Why do those aerobics instructors with 9 inch arms like to flex so much?

Strength is correctly defined as, "the ability to produce force." When you acquire this ability, you build strong thick muscles that can't be missed. You also build thickness of the ligaments, tendons and bones -- your tan and bodyfat percentage are irrelevant! No matter what you wear or what angle you are seen, you look strong; it is unmistakable! You look as powerful in a raincoat as in a tanktop. You look as massive from behind as you do from the front. A properly trained strongman is thick from a sideview. Heavy pushing and pulling consistently done over the years has added inches to the front and back of the torso, hips and legs -- when toners are seen from a side view, they disappear! Strongmen are unable to hide the fact that they look strong. Because of this confidence, they walk around relaxed and graceful. Not like the stiff insecure "pumpers" who try to look flexed at all times. These are the idiots who give us a bad name. They give the impression to the general public that it is because they train with weights, that they are so stiff and awkward.

We proudly build our muscles the old fashioned way, primarily by the use of heavy multi-joint exercises. These exercises (the basics) are by far the toughest ones to perform. Exercises such as the deadlift, squat, bench press, incline press, overhead presses, pulldowns, chins, various types of rowing and odd object lifting. Most modern "sensitive types" don't like to perform these movements and will give you every excuse in the world to tell you why they don't (or won't) do them. The real reason is that they are wimps! They have surrendered to a powerful sickening trend. It is a growing, media encouraged, psycho/social disease that is hard to explain, but we all can see it; it's the "feminization" of the American male. Incredibly, these wimps have become the majority and their attitude the "norm!"

You can spot the wimps who avoid the basic multi-joint exercises a mile away. These individuals train almost exclusively on isolation exercises and show it by their uneven muscular development. They usually don't work their legs and only like to train their arms or chest. Their muscles do not blend or seem to belong together. They usually have one good body part that stands out and appears to have been surgically transplanted to a normal body (Usually big arms connected to a rib-cage.) The two favorite exercises of these toner types are curls and cable crossovers -- they can look in the mirror for both. They like to squeeze and feel comfortable poundages -- they make long-term commitments and have stable relationships with their poundages! They are dumbfounded when you ask them about progression. They don't have a clue as to the meaning of strength, Just the thought of squatting frightens them. They don't want to lift too heavy because they are afraid they might get "TOO BIG!"

Strongmen love to train hard. We love to hear the clanging and rattle of heavy iron when you slap-on big plates. The harder the exercise, the more we like it. We focus on the basic movements because we know they work. When you do the basic movements your muscles work and grow together. You are naturally more symmetrical because you are training your whole body hard. If you take a look at the rugged builds of the old timers, you will notice that they had symmetry. They trained all the major muscle groups hard and heavy with a wide variety of multi-joint exercises, many of which are not commonly done today.

Taken from

www.naturalstrength.com

My trainin for back

start wid ya strtches need them!

The on to Dead lift, but i complete punjabi so i lift till i cant lift no more n i do it untill i all drenched in sweat,

Then on to T-Bar, this is a killer for ya upper bk real pain in the neck!Then it some lateral pull downs, doin it behind n infront of my neck, skwees latts for maxim effect,

Then its Hyper-Extentions, these hurt lower bk but it worth it

Then some pull ups if i can do em jus to add the little touches,

Finally cool down

Guest Sardar Moderator Singh

Consider looking at the "DragonDoor" forum for some military type work and also "Body by Fish".

Majority of this a body-weight type conditioning and well suited to martial artists and those wishing to keep fit alike: real 'functional' strength training and endurance.