white sikh converts and names

girlUK

ok well i know u lot r gonna think this is a weird topic. me and my mates were just having a debate the other day about this.

y do white sikhs have to change their FULL name if they convert to sikhism?

cant they just add the name 'singh' or 'kaur' to their name? like the 1st 5 panj pyarie's just added singh or kaur?

eg,

Tony Singh Blair :P

The way it works.. you know yogi bhajan singh khalsa from america..

he is the one whos the head for all the white sikhs.. help em to learn gurbani and stuff like that...when white peep decides to convert...yogi bhajan singh khalsa give em proper name from guru granth sahib ji for example- GurDham Singh, Gurfateh singh, ek onkar kaur , gurmustuk singh khalsa etc..

i hope that helps :P

Fateh Ji

A name is something to be proud of. We have names such a Inder-jeet. Inder meaning god, jeet victory ( iknow it has more meaning too). So Sikhs have names to live up to. Also there used to be saying in india like "if i dont do this to you, then my name wont be .... blah blah ", always comes in indian films.

Singh and Singhnees should keep more that one name. I have 6 distinct names, some people know me by one name and some by others. Hence increasing the Khalsa population by 6. :D

We should be proud of our names. but even more live up to them. I do not know how the english naming system works, but im sure that they at one time must of had a similar thing.

Thats all folks.

As of yogi bhajan i don't like this guy.. yes he did got sewa in prachar .. but keep in mind he didn't do that for non-profit sewa as many of puratan singhs did.

As of name giving in western ppls who adopted sikhi.. i know that they think that they should only get their new sikh names from yogi bhajan.. yes that's cool that they get the first word from guru granth sahib but rest of the name should be choosen by the person himself/herself instead of yogi bhajan.. he is no-one to give sikh names.. (hope u understand im trying to say..)

As of yogi bhajan i don't like this guy.. yes he did got sewa in prachar .. but keep in mind he didn't do that for non-profit sewa as many of puratan singhs did.

As of name giving in western ppls who adopted sikhi.. i know that they think that they should only get their new sikh names from yogi bhajan.. yes that's cool that they get the first word from guru granth sahib but rest of the name should be choosen by the person himself/herself instead of yogi bhajan.. he is no-one to give sikh names.. (hope u understand im trying to say..)

i dunno, its difficult to know who to trust or not. then again, he did manage to inspire many gorays into sikhi. maybe the people look at him as a very holy man and wish for him to choose names. its like Baba Mann Singh ..when he comes to the gurdwaras, people all bow down at him but he doesnt like them to as he is not god..but people still do it

Guest kaur1699

y do white sikhs have to change their FULL name if they convert to sikhism?

cant they just add the name 'singh' or 'kaur' to their name? like the 1st 5 panj pyarie's just added singh or kaur?

eg,

Tony Singh Blair :P

tru... they could add just Singh/Kaur to their names.... but nothin wrong if they want to change it all....

it doesnt really matter - but as a gora who converts to sikhi - i think he / she would want a gurmukhi name. :D

paul singh :?

julia kaur :?

jack singh :?

christopher singh :?

nah dont sound right :P:P it doesnt matta if yogi bachan gives them a name - its all good - just as how our fathers n mothers bless us with a name - im sure hes doin the same - and im sure that they have the choice to choose whether they like it or not

the main thing is not the name of the person - its the fact that they are a khalsa :D:D ur life is not judged on ur name - its the things u do under that name which count

fateh ji

I to disagree with a lot of the "Yogi"s" teachings and stuff but i dont know enuff to villify him - lets just say i have read a lot and im convinced he isnt a saint tho im not yet convinced hes a devil.

As for names i personally dont think it should be an issue - Sikhi is more important than our culture and by in large our names are cultural rather than religious.

Most oarenst dont think "wow that name has so much meaning we will choose thaat" they think "that sounds nice we will choose that" I beleive our names are a gift from our parents and should be respected as such.

Tho i can understand ppl changingthere names by going through the practice of picking a random verse from the SGGS and choosing a name beinging with teh first letter that is read.

im jus on proudtobesikh.com and jus listening thru the simran sections :D:D

i came accross one by a bibi vaheguru kaur khalsa.... from listening to it she sounds like a gori - i have to say its awesome!!... but im not too sure about the name :? :?

wats everyone else think on naming someone "vaheguru" kaur?... im taki a shot in the dark here - but could it be a naming of yogi bachan? :shock:

hmmmmmmmmmm i dunno gut feeling says its wrong to call anybody vaheguru but vaheguru him/her self.

but i dont know if theres anyything actually "against Sikhi" about her name.

ssa putro, tuhadi Billo Aunty here.

i've been reading up on goreh coverting to sikhi, which is quite alright, we have some goreh down here in KC who are sikhs, but main thori confused ah, ah yogi bhajan kon ah? :oops: sowwie, neva heard of the guy

Yogi Bhajan singh khalsa is the guy who inspired..He came in toronto at 1969 then he left in new-mexico started kundalini yoga there...while he was doing kundalini yoga..whites in thousands start learning from him.. he usually talks about sikh dharma and piece of mind that attracted many white men and women to embrace sikhism..

here are the sites you might want to visit

http://www.yogibhajan.com/index.html

http://www.3ho.org/

http://www.yogatech.com/yogibhajan.html

Harbhajan Singh Yogi is a Sant in the definition, there is absolutely nothing bad to be said about him. I have met him and seems very down to earth. He practices Sikhi and preaches Sikhi. So cant be much wrong there. He goes by Guru Granth Sahib so there is no hesitation in saying his seva should go without saying bad stuff. He is rich, he has many gas stations, but he does parchar for the sangat. So what if he gives names to converting Sikhs. Is that a big deal? He gives names that are inspirational. I think those Sikhs in New Mexico are refreshing as they are devout Sikhs without the Punjabi hang ups. They do yoga and simran so what is the big deal. People always wil talk crap about someone when they try to do best, i.e Jesus, The Gurus, Moses etc.

I agree with grewal once again.. I think some people are really small-minded..

when someone does seeva you always get people talkin about jack about em???

when they dont?? then they brag and cry about what khalsa panth has become???

pure kalyuug man... dhan dhan Guru baba nanak dev ji saved us with his banis... akaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal he akaaal :D

WaheGuruji Ka Khalsa WaheGuruji Ki Fateh

To steel Bangle and Grewal;

the devil himself is also reknowned to be 'a nice chap' who plays the violin well.

I suggest searching some of the X-3HO forums for info on what he does and has done. It will shock you to bits. This isn't bitter ex-cult types (although many are) making things up, this is full-on court case notes that were settled out of court accusing Bhajan of rape and fraud. There is even a suggestion of involvment in murder.

It seems that he is a charlatan and a bully who knew very little about Sikhi and even less about Kundalini yoga. He has actively created a personality cult around himself (one e.g. is the fact that all 3Ho practitioners had to have a young looking, framed photo of bhajan on their meditation bench to stare at when meditating and doing yoga). He is reknowned for his horrendously inflated ego and arrogance - even Osho japed about how bhajan merely worked in an airport before he saw one of the 'Eastern Gurus' make loads in the US, decided to do the same by jumping on the 60's 'Yoga' bandwagon.

What's also interesting is that Bhajan was actually a follower of Baba Virsa Singh (Virsa Singh came up with these long 'Ong kar sat nam' style chants used by the 3HO in yoga, acredited to bhajan). Early on in 3ho history, the deal was, bring the followers back to India to meet Baba Virsa Singh, but Bhajan decided against it and kept them for himself. Baba Virsa Singh then cut all ties w/ bhajan.

Read also about how he actually got all these 'goray' into Sikhi. Not by explaining Gurbani or Sikhi itself, but by teaching yoga, taking them to US, then telling them that they had to go through a small 'ceremony' at Akal Takht - taking amrit!!! He didn't explain any of the consequences of taking amrit. Quite a few dropped out then. This is taken from the court notes of one of the court cases that was against him.

All credit to the 3HO Sikhs themselves - they take all the crap for being white and wearing bana, they do all the yoga and sikhi, they also are the inspiring ones. They do all the work that keeps bhajan afloat. So as far as I'm concerned, 3HO is the product of 3HO Sikhs. If bhajan had any humility he'd liquidate those whopping bejewelled broaches and rings he's had made with 3ho Sikh sweat and money, and humbly bow down to his followers and put all credit on them!

just my thoughts anyway!

Again Doubts Doubts Doubts and Doubts... why our people are soo small-minded.. they doubt everything and anything... then this message from jit singh will spread like waves in radios... bloody hell.. you guys are really naive...

there is a jewish church opposite of his asharam..since white sikh are converting.. christians gotta do something about it aint it??? :roll:

pure propaganda... thats why yogi bhajan singh khalsa doenst teach our sikh youths.. he knows.. we gotta cheap mentality and we doubt everything... i suggest you should listen to his speeches... and whats wrong ong kar satnam chants?? isnt that baniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii?? yes or no???

in my eyes.. i hold very much respect for him...

he is there not for converts.. have u ever been to his camps?? he will teach you yoga regarless of who you are.. then he talks about sikh dharma...people get influenced wanted to know about it... he tells em in lecture sessions... provide em japji sahib course... they read it.. thats it.. its bani what can you say...

and also veer i m offended by ur comment..i wish you can say that to his face.. he will certainly clear all the doubts for you...

gora people have to turn to other religions because they are always lacking direction in their lives....i know it may be wrong but it annoys me because it makes me feel that goray are always trying to take over everything (just like they did india and most of africa back in the day). anyway i just have some issues with gora people because of their history...