Sikh Weddings

As many of us are aware nowadays the anand karaj have become just a mere ritual and formality amongst most people, going to the gurdwara, telling the granthi to "chethi kar" and then off to the club for some bhangra and daru :roll:

But lets not concentrate on that, i was wondering what is the IDEAL and proper way of having a gursikh wedding, by this i mean, what stuff is being performed which really shouldnt be?.. an example such as brothers leading sister around guru ji... dunno but it dont seem right to me :?

from what i know and thats not much,

weddings happened in lots of ways they where very personal and ranged from throwing a shawl (kambal) over the woman and walking off with her, too beating her husband and taking her (if hes not treating her right etc)

It was the nirankaris who started the walking around maharaj tradition as prior to that lavaan where done around a fire as is still the case for namdharis, but they have mass weddings where loads of people get married at same time (i think)..

too tired to continue posting, will post later 2day. :D

about the brothers leadin the sisters thing.. my nani ma got really upset that my cousin never had her brother/ brother cousins help her around... the giani ji said that people don't do this anymore in the gurudwara, i think its more traditional thing than anything, i think it shuold be up to the individual, but i think a long way back the sister usualyl needed support from the brother to do this.. (juz my hypothesis) and some people say to FORCE the sis to get married, i think its good support.. juz tellin em i wil be with u in ya marriage.. i don't think my nani ma was that happy that tradition was broken... i think somepeople are just a little overanylitcal, but i do see where they come from!!!

wjkk,wjkf

getting brothers 2 help the bride around the taabia is more of a tradition now then a neccesity - in the past the bride used to have her chunni pulled far over her face so couldnt really c where she was going :LOL:

has ne1 heard of the weddings which r performed in between a rehnsbia @ amrit vela? - i think its a amazing concept! just imagine how buzzin every1 would be!

bhul chuk maaf

wjkk,wjkf

has ne1 heard of the weddings which r performed in between a rehnsbia @ amrit vela? - i think its a amazing concept! just imagine how buzzin every1 would be!

Do such weeding occur?? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Brillant Stuff Man :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Guest Javanmard

Wedding with Guru Granth Sahib in its three forms, Shastar Guru and five Singhs taking care of Maharaj, a havan in front, parikrama anti-clockwise, classical rag kirtan, arti arta...

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :D

Lalleshvari veer,

when you say havan in the front... i thought that was replaced by siri guroo granth sahib ji... instead ... i mean was the hawan traditional existed say about 100 yrs ago??? Did everyone performed it???

I thought nirmalie helped singh sabha to implement new anand karaj concept during british raj...

Please enlighten on this issue :D

after the wedding's done the gyani's can stop lecturering people about sikhi :LOL:

you sitting there for another 1 hour waiting intill there finished ** geos to sleep** **legs start achin badly**

instead of blabbering on they should just say " If you want to learn about sikhi there are classes at...etc etc....

sometimes da gyanis make silly mistakes like forgetting how many times they done the laama :LOL:

the last weddin i went to was my cousins, it was the last spin around the guru granth sahbi (4th time) and the gyani geos it's the third time, lolol ( u been drinking son? :shock: )

and then when they kept saying our family name they said it like "tootter" im like what the ****...............instead of saying tutter, lol :| :shock:

Guest Javanmard

fact is that for the SIkh marriage what matters is the lavan of Guru Ramdas!!! It is true that the Nirmale of the Thakur Dayal dera in Amritsar helped the Nirankaris in propagating this type of marriage but that surely does not mean that all Nirmale helped the movement.

I personally don't mind any ceremony as long as the lavan are recited. The Nirankari type of mariage was quite a new thing actually and only became a norm after 1909. Apart from the Namdharis there is also mention of havan in mariage ceremonies of the Nihangs.

I understand the logic behind the neo-Sikh mariage ceremony but I think that other options are ok as well as long as Brahmins are not allowed to perform any part in the actual ceremony!

The logic of the neo-SIkh mariage is that you go around Guru Granth Sahib. A simple question: When Guru Gobind Singh got married what or who did he circumambulate as Guru Tegh Bahadar had been martyred and Adi Granth was not Guru yet... did Guru Gobind SIngh rotate around himself?

Obviously not!

I have to make clear here that I do not in any way consider havan a "Hindu" thing as 1. HInduism is a colonial notion 2. loads of other religions have havans

Guest Javanmard

1. You wouldn't have a granthi for the havan but a pujari singh (this used to be one of the most important jobs at Harimandar Sahib and Hazur Sahib still has that position though not for havans). The pujari would sit facing the right or left side of Maharaj (preferable norh or east).

2. The couple goes around the fire but matha teks Maharaj at the end

3. It is possible to organise it in such a way that the couple goes around both though it would not be very logical

4. Havan is there to invite the devte devtiana nd shahids to witness the marriage with Maharaj so that the whole universe humans, animals, devte devtian be witness of the marriage.

waheguru ji ka khalsa !

waheguru ji kee fateh !

well the brothers hold onto the bride bcas in the old dayz when the bride used to have a big 'chund' she could hardly see let alone walk so they had to stand around Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji to guide her.

this is not needed now seen as though the bride can see plus anand karaj is only between the bride and groom so no one else needz to do anything they should do the 4 lavan on their own...

p.s that must be really bad for those of you who love the camera :wink:

BLAAAAAAANK @ lalleshvris post

waheguru ji ka khalsa !

waheguru ji kee fateh !

I have a question lalleshvari ji...... you said "I personally don't mind any ceremony as long as the lavan are recited. The Nirankari type of mariage was quite a new thing actually and only became a norm after 1909. Apart from the Namdharis there is also mention of havan in mariage ceremonies of the Nihangs. "

1) Mind telling us here in which book or granth is says that that "nirankari type" of marriage became a norm?? any quote?

2) where can i find the informaiton about NIHUNG marriage where havan is mentionned??? any quote?

thankx.

• 1 month later...

I have a question lalleshvari ji...... you said "I personally don't mind any ceremony as long as the lavan are recited. The Nirankari type of mariage was quite a new thing actually and only became a norm after 1909. Apart from the Namdharis there is also mention of havan in mariage ceremonies of the Nihangs. "

1) Mind telling us here in which book or granth is says that that "nirankari type" of marriage became a norm?? any quote?

2) where can i find the informaiton about NIHUNG marriage where havan is mentionned??? any quote?

thankx.

Sorry to intrupt UR discussion. But friends i have a different appoarch towards wedding ceremonies. I think it does not matter in which religion, caste or class u belong the basic idea behind all those arrangements is only to have such ceremonies in the presence of great GOD.

It might be in Hinuism style i:e: HAVAN presence

It might be in Sikhism styled i:e: Sri Guru Granth Sahib

It might be in Westren styled i:e: In Holy Church

• 1 month later...

I guess its like u both meet at the gurdwara, infront of family n friends. Do lavan da paath, with just u n ur partner to be, no brothers etc!

Then the married couple do a shabad!Dunno if thats necessary!

erm.. More keertan from family etc

Then eat langar n go home!:D

My parents chose the morning after a rehinsbhai lol! Man they must have been sooo tired

• 1 month later...