Book related to sikhism study?

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some books which I read

Sant Baba Attar Singh Ji (Mastuane Wale)

Great book, you can read the whole book in 4 days... N30 has also posted some sample chapters in the Gurbani section

Se Kinehiya, Biography of Sant Baba Harnam Singh Ji by Sant Sewa Singh

Another Great book... many lessons to be learnt from this book.. still reading it

This is an extract from the online portion of MacAuliffe's book:

"When it was represented to Guru Gobind Singh that a Muhammadan army would eventually come to overpower his Sikhs, he replied, 'What God willeth shall take place. When the army of the Muhammadans cometh, my Sikhs shall strike steel on steel. The Khalsa shall then awake, and know the play of battle. Amid the clash of arms the Khalsa shall be partners in present and future bliss tranquillity, meditation, and divine knowledge. Then shall the English come, and, joined by the Khalsa, rule as well in the East as in the West. The holy Baba Nanak will bestow all wealth on them. The English shall possess great power and by force of arms take possession of many principalities. The combined armies of the English and the Sikhs shall be very powerful, as long as they rule with united councils. The empire of the British shall vastly increase, and they shall in every way obtain prosperity. Wherever they take their armies they shall conquer and bestow thrones on their vassals. Then in every house shall be wealth, in every house religion, in every house learning, and in every house happiness."

Regarding the part I have highlighted in bold, what is the source containing this alleged prophecy? And how authentic is it? It does'nt sound right to me. A clear lesson not to trust the English.

Regarding the part I have highlighted in bold, what is the source containing this alleged prophecy? And how authentic is it? It does'nt sound right to me. A clear lesson not to trust the English.

Perhaps I should say: a clear lesson not to trust the content of MacAuliffe's book. Including dodgy "prophecies" such as these seriously undermine his credibility.

Although a wise man would extend that to not trusting the English, looking at the purpose for why the book was written.

Besides which, he starts off the book by saying that he wants to set right the insults and offence levelled at Sikhism by some German swine who made derogatory comments about SGGS. While a laudable aim in itself, it also goes to show that the book is not an objective or unbiased analysis. As such, it should'nt be represented as a primer on Sikhs and Sikhism.

Read it with a large fistful of salt.

• 2 weeks later...

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

ADI GRANTH (Translation into English done by Ernst Trump) : I was reading this book and I didnt like the effort the author has put into it. So far as he also refutes many of the miracles in the life of Guru Nanak Dev Ji as childish and nonsensical. The book contains an english translation of the various Rags in ADI GRANTH, But I dont recommend it as I later found out that he is a Biased Christian Missionary and was assigned this work of Translation.

He completed this work in 7 years, and the whole work seems like a painful experience for him.

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest reading the following books

Gurmukh Sikhiya by Bhai Veer Singh Ji

Kalgidhar Chamatkar by Bhai Veer Singh JI

Guru Nanak Chamatkar by Bhai Veer Singh JI

Spirit of the Sikh by Prof. Puran Singh ji

Spirit Born People by Prof. Puran SIngh ji

Ten Masters by Prof. Puran SIngh ji

Bride of the Sky by Prof. Puran SIngh ji

Sundri, Bijai Singh, Satwant Kaur, Baba Nodh SIngh...all these are by Bhai Vir Singh ji...

Undity Dunia by Bhai Randhir Singhi

will post more as i remember....

• 3 months later...

History of the Sikhs - Khushwant Singh

Brilliant book, begins by explaining origins of sikhism and covers all events in sikh history up to 1984.

Saint Soldier - S S Kumar

Another excellent book explaining Guru Gobind Singh's view of the ideal man

Banda Bahadur Singh - Sohan Singh

The definitive work on Banda Bahadur Singh witten by his direct ancestor, Wrote in 1920 very biased towards british rule, but facts are accurate.

Battles of Guru Gobind Singh

Military encounters described in depth

Safarnama and Zafarnama: Being an Account of the Guru Gobind Singh and the Epistle of moral Victory written by him to Emperor Aurangzeb - Giani Ishar Singh Nara

My Bleeding Punjab - Khushwant Singh

Besides which, he starts off the book by saying that he wants to set right the insults and offence levelled at Sikhism by some German swine who made derogatory comments about SGGS.

i believe he's referring to ernst trump.

an excellent book i'd heartily recommend to everyone is 'garland around my neck' by patwant singh & harinder kaur sekhon.

it's the story of puran singh pingalware & is incredibly inspirational.

u can get it from dtf - http://www.dtfbooks.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=45