Can Sikhism Survive modern pressures ??

Given the pressures of modern societies both in the West and East (India), I often wonder if our 'feldgling' religion will be able to survive and will it be around for the next 1500 - 2000 years like Islam or Christianity.

The Sikh religion is a very tolerant religion, and there is no practice in our scriptures to convert people of other faith - as in Islam or Christianity, after all, that is one of the key reasons why and how those religions have grown so widely all over the world.

You see people of ALL races embracing Islam & Christianity. In all the years Sikhs lived in Africa, I don't think they 'converted' or 'convinced' a black person to become Sikh - why??

I don't have an answer, just a question right now

pls discuss

very good debate neo :D

ok on first glance - there is allot of things that can hold sikhi back - ie lack of knowledge - and lack of thirst too

an example would be - if u look back to say the 60s where most peoples parents came to england - their main priority was to get jobs - go work - and send money back home - and in this same sense they sacrificed ALLOT!... goin to the gurdwara cud be hard because there wasnt many gurdwaras back in those days - pressures from racists gorey led poeple to cut their kesh and be more like gorey - pressures from work places made people cut their kesh just to get work - so if u look back there was allot that put a stop on sikhi

ok as a knock on effect people dont educate their kids - and the habit of making goin to the gurdwara once a week - once a month has also rubbed off on children - how can u learn anything if u dont go to the gurdwara - its like water - water is everywhere in the world - but u have to go to a tap to get it - just like god - waheguru is everywhere - u wont be able to learn sikhi and the word of god if u dont open up a book to learn - or sit down to listen to someones preaching

that may be the evident outlook of sikh youth - however this is very wrong - u go to the gurdwara on say vaisaki - or any other event - u go to a gurmat camp and u will see the sikh youth who u dont talk about and see normally - this is the main thing - and sikh youth nowadays are so pure - this shows that even tho u do see allot of fukked up kids - theres also the khalsa WAHEGURUUUU :D:D:D

anyways - u say that sikhs lived in africa - most of these were tharkans right?... im not too sure - anyway - u see kenyan singhs or african singhs - majority of them shave - how can a religion be spread by poeple who dont follow it correctly?..

u have heard of russian gorey takin amrit and becomin khalsa..... i never even knew there was sikhs in russia... how are these gorey becomin khalsa??.... well maybe there aint any sikhs there - but thats the beauty of sikhi - u learn about it - and it takes over ur soul -

if u think back 150 yrs ago... afta maharaja ranjit singhs death - there was 800 thousand sikhs on this duniya... not a long while back.... now theres 25 million!!!!!! sikhi will always grow - i have no doubt about that - nowadays generation is very much into sikhi - because they dont have to worry about gettin work or nothin like our parents - holi holi everyone will teach their children about sikhi and it will automatically grow

it is human nature to talk about bad things - such as a certain person is drinking smokin blah blah blah - how many times have u heard someone says.. "waheguru di kirpa naal neo singh neh amrit shak leya"

thats wat i mean - all this negative thinking has got people thinkin that sikhi is fadin away - when in reality - its growing - gorey are taking up sikhi - i mean thats a next level in itself

fateh

RAJ KAREGA KHALSA :wink: :wink: :wink:

Guest kaur1699

hmm... Sikhi is goin to be around for a longggggggg time... like Steel Bangle has said there are people all ova the world comin into Sikhi, people from all different backgrounds...

You see people of ALL races embracing Islam & Christianity. In all the years Sikhs lived in Africa, I don't think they 'converted' or 'convinced' a black person to become Sikh - why??

hmm, good point... but Sikhi is a personal thing... its not about convertin people into it... but yea its good to spread the word...

Ur wrong there are african singhs and every other colour under the son singhs - the only Singhs i aint seen a re oriental singhs - but just cos i havent seen them doesnt mean they dont exist.

Sikhi isnt a missionary faith - we have no concept of other religions being in anyway inferior to our own and we dont believe in any sort of hell that unbelievers will be sent to - Also we gain no "browny points" In beinging other ppl to our faith - all we can do is show ppl our path they are welcome to take it if they wish to do so or welcome to pass by if they wish to do so - its a religion without compulsion.

I see the future of Sikhi being like christianity - an awfull lot of "in name only" sikhs and a core of stromg devout Sikhs.

as to what will happen in the future or how big this core group will be all depends on one thing - our ability to educate our children and teach them the beuty of there own faith so they embrace it.

as Tony Blair (an A grade tosser) once said ......

EDUCATION EDUCATION EDUCATION

wjkk,wjkf

2 answer ur question i'll refer back to my greeting;

"waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh"

translated this means the following;

The Kings' [God] servants, the Khalsa chosen Ones, belongs to the Glorious Master [God] He is the truth & Truth triumphs now.

Its the will of our father Guru Gobind Singh Ji that the khalsa was born; i have no worries about sikhism surviving the ages. sikhi has already survived a great deal & is recognised for its practicality.

For instance our gurus have stated things that were later scientifically proven ie that there are millions of stars / planets in the universe which was contrary 2 popular belief.

I think we shouldn't worry about what 2mro will bring, but instead face what challanges us as individuals, as well as an community & with guru jis bakshish, conquer it.

hope this helps! :wink:

wjkk,wjkf

There arnt many ppl (eleders) or "Pounchey" (reached) ppl to teach.

Sikhi is a very individual thing. I think that if a person is brought in a specific way to suit them... then it will be all gud, and as long as there is a foundatiion for that person.

Ppl try and force it or dnt do it the correct way....

just my opinion

Sat Sri Akal:

Will Sikhism survive...?

OF COURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a quotation of the last words of Guru Harkrishen Sahib before passing out of his physical body - taken from the BOSS website:(http://www.sikhi.org.uk/articles/files/LastWordsOfGuruHarKrishanJee.pdf)

Pay particular attention to the last line).

Guru Hari Krishan consoled mother and said, "Dear mother, all this is happening according to God's writ. No one can harm Guru Nanak's throne. This is a high and sacred throne that will always distribute spiritual comforts (to the world). What Guru Nanak has founded will stay

till eternity and continue to distribute pleasures and comforts. (Guru Partap Suraj)".

• 2 weeks later...

Sikhi was there b4 Guru Nanak, and will certainly be there in the end, its is the Truth, weather it comes from any "religion" and practiced......the reason we think Sikhi is dying is coz we see ppl getting mashed and straying away from the khalsa way, when the real fact is that

the flower is shedding its old leaves alowing for the new beutiful flowers to bloom :LOL:

.....aah sounds like a fairy tale ....but thats the way i see it

WJKK WJKF!

Sikhi is not just a faith but a way of life......so has been there since the begining, is there in the present and will be there in the future. :LOL: But I know that doesnt answer your question, but I just felt like posting this...sorry.

To understand this better can I raise a question here if you dont mind, Who is a sikh or what is maharaj ji's definition of a gursikh??

WJKK WJKF!

Fateh Ji

"u see kenyan singhs or african singhs - majority of them shave - how can a religion be spread by poeple who dont follow it correctly?.. "

Paaji steel ji :LOL: , I believe that there were loads of trim chin singhs, but that was in the past. If you look now, you will be amaized to see the amount of ppl coming into sikhi in Kenya :LOL: . It is all good from where I see it. But I can understand where you are coming from, cause I have lived most of my life there.

Coming to the point where why didnt the Sikhs in Kenya try to bring ppl into the faith. I think it has been mensioned here by many ppl that sikhi cannot be forced on to anyone, it is a choice that one has to make. At the end of the day it comes down to is pyaar, how much pyaar has one got for guru ji, because without out pyaar there isnt anything.( hope you get what I am trying to say!).

I think once again I have gone off the topic so please forgive me. If I have stated anything wrong, please feel free to correct me :wink: .

Fateh Ji.

sikhi should be spread by example not by running about with conversion techniques.

for example bhai randhir singh - one of my relatives met him - werent devout at all.....just saw him at a resavae....and they were literally hypnotised by his faith, and now they have become stricter singh...as i have told many before the power he had was so high that during such keertan the tabla player would be unable to stop playing etc, his hands would bleed everywhere yet he could not stop.

basically, just concentrate on yourself and your sikhi. once your solid in that and you demonstrate excellent qualities people will become interested. do not go around forcing stuff down people, tell them if htey are interested though.

what i find funny is so many muslim/christian/whatever missionaries use the scientific miracle thing to pull converts. what people forget is in guru granth sahib ji that there arent ambigious lines, but CLEAR scientific references, for example actually using the word "evolution" and "the globe of the world", as well as "he made living beings from rocks and stones" which is proved scientificially as we came from ocean rocks etc. also evidence of big bang, guru tegh bahadurs bubbling theory, these arent twisted quotes they are obvious pointers that sikhi is wholly divine. yet most sikhs havent even read their guru granth sahib properly to pick them up, never mind show them off and shout about them to others (which isnt right anyway).

• 2 weeks later...

HEY! Why was this post deleted? At least give a reason as to why a post is deleted next time by PMing the person. Moderation is good, however this just blatent censorship! If something is true, then it should not be deleted! There is way too much political correctness on this site, you have to remove this and let the truth come out! Otherwise our youth will never know what is true and keep falling for the lies of Christian missionaries and other anti-Sikh forces! :)

Dear people,

Islam and Christianity are joker religions which were spread by use of the sword, most people never wanted to become Muslims but were forced to do so otherwise they would be killed! Just read any history book for the proof... Sikhism has never done such a thing and it is timeless, it will live forever, as the truth never dies! The biggest problem with Sikhism is the FRAUD "Sikh" leaders and the lousy braindead parents who are too busy making money instead of making good Sikhs out of their children, once we sort this out, the future of Sikhism and the whole world will change for the better! However, Sikhs need missionaries to spread Sikhism and make it known! Not necessarily to convert people but at least to spread INFORMATION! It is clear that Sikhism is the best religion, it is the ONLY religion compatible with science! All other religions are basiclally inadequate, but the worst is Islam, followed by Christianity! These two 'faiths' have done the most damage to humanity, they have caused unnecessary bloodshed and divisions where ever they have gone! To find out the real EVIL TRUTH about ISLAM, please go to: http://www.faithfreedom.org - This is an EXCELLENT SECULAR website which EXPOSES the truth about EVIL ISLAM! YOU MUST CHECK IT OUT AND THE FORUM TOO http://forum.faithfreedom.org , where I and many other Sikhs participate in the Sikhism folder, these guys (Humanists on FFI) have destroyed all the other religions, only Sikhism remains unchallenged even though we have challenged them so many times to find fault with Sikhism! lol :LOL: We often slap these guys up coz they can't find even ONE thing wrong with Sikhism. Their main man Ali Sina had to BAN some Sikhs coz they kept defeating his arguments and made him look like a complete idiot! lol :LOL: Any way, check it out!

Kind Regards,

MI

It is clear that Sikhism is the best religion, it is the ONLY religion compatible with science! All other religions are basiclally inadequate, but the worst is Islam, followed by Christianity

Dear MI, It may be true what you wrote but as a sikh, we are not allowed to condemn any other religion or say that we are the best. I believe that we are all gods children and god within everyone, be it from which ever background or faith. One does not choose where he is gonna be born, so there can be a muslim who is a true muslim and by truely following the ways of Allah, can attain salvation. Same applies if one is a christian, hindu , or any other faith. As Guru Nanak Dev ji said " if you are muslim be a good muslim, if you are a hindu be a good hindu, or anyother ".

It is great that you chose sikhi :LOL: and hope to become a singh one day, all the best Veer ji :wink: .

I am sorry if I said anything wrong or anything that might offend you.

Fateh Ji

• 1 month later...

It is really amazing to join this Forum.

It makes me feel so much relieved and delighted to know that there are so many Sikhs, though outside Punjab, who are much more attuned to Sikhism than in Punjab... sadly thoguh.

I had some doubts over the survival of Sikhism but these doubts are now clearing out... :)

And when we are going to think about the sikhs who are not really a sikh. Creating more sikhs worldwide is some thing we should think later, but how about the sikhs , who cut their hair, doing worng things, never do the path, dont' believe in our gurus. I think we need to preach the sikh born ppl first , so they can be called really sikhs. There is old saying in punjabi

"Aga thord picha chodh" lets make our home safe first.