Eyewitness Account of Vaisakhi 1699

Eyewitness Account of Vaisakhi 1699

(From an Urdu Pamphlet)

Bhai Veer Singh mentions Abu-ul-Trafi in his book. He was spying on Guru Gobind Singh for a year and a half. This is how the incident is recorded in this spy's journal:

"On the day Guru Gobind Singh Ji prepared Amrit in Anandpur, the attendance in the Diwan was about 35 to 40 thousands. The Mughals had four thrones (seats of Imperial Power), Delhi, Agra, Lahore and Kalanur, but the grandeur of Guru Ji's throne was in a class by itself. The grandeur of this throne was out of this world.

Guru Ji came to the Diwan and, unsheathing his sword, spoke in his thundering voice that he needed a head. No questions or hesitation at all, Bhai Dya Ram came forward to Guru Ji. Guru Ji right in front of all, cut off his head from the body in one stroke. Every body present was stunned. Then Guru Ji again thundered and demanded one more head. Right on Guru's call, Dharam Chand got up, came to Guru Ji, bowed his head and said here is my offering of my head. Guru Ji, again, in one stroke cut off Dharam Chand's head from his body.

Now there was a big commotion in the Diwan. But Guru Ji in his thundering voice went on demanding heads, one after the other. Himmat Rai, Mohkam Chand and Sahib Ram got up and offered their heads. Guru Ji cut off the heads of these three also.

Many from the congregation went to Guru Ji's mother, and narrated the whole happenings in the Diwan to Mata Ji.

Guru Ji cleaned up the blood from the five bodies and heads, and even washed the floor, Then the Guru of these infidels, stitched one head with other body, one by one. This process took about three hours. Then he covered these dead bodies with white sheets.

The Guru of the infidels then took a cauldron made of stone and put an iron wok without handles on top of it. Poured water into the wok and started preparing the "Amrit" (Aab-e-hyat - Elixir of life). The infidel Guru kept churning the water with his sword and kept on reciting his Kalma (Gurbani). This process went on for 1.5 to 2 hours. During this time, a lady from Guru's house came and put something in that water. Now the Amrit "Elixir" was ready.

From the corpses, he took the covering sheets off. First he sat on the head side of Dya Ram, and poured AMRIT "Elixir" in his mouth, then poured some on his head and sprinkled some on his body, and then he asked the dead body to say "Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh." As if on his Guru's Command, Dya Ram got up and repeated in his bold voice,"Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh."

It appeared that in the entire congregation every body was so stunned and as if stopped breathing. There was pin-drop silence. All those present were mesmerized with their Guru's miracle. In the same manner, one after the other, Guru made the other four alive too.

Then, he took all five of them inside a tent. After a while Guru Ji along with the five came out. The Five were now wearing new attire. Those five risen from the dead were standing in a line. Then Guru came in front of them and took the "Bir Asan" (Posture of the brave - kneeling on one knee) and asked for the Amrit "Elixir." At this point, these five asked, what are you offering to get this Amrit "Elixir." Then Guru said that I would sacrifice my parents and my sons for your sake. Then these five gave Amrit "Elixir" to Guru Ji, and his name was changed to "Gobind Singh." The word "Singh" was attached with other five's too - Dya Singh, Dharam Singh, Himmat Singh, Mohkam Singh and Sahib Singh.

Abu-el-Trafi writes that I was very remorseful and cried like a baby. After that, thousands took the AMRIT "Elixir". Even, I was attracted by a magnetic force and with utmost regret fell on Guru's feet. I requested Guru to give me Amrit (Aaab-e-hyat) too. Guru Ji already knew about my role as a spy and a traitor, put his hand on my back, gave me Amrit and changed my name to Ajmer Singh. Just with this act, my sins of numerous lives got washed away. I participated in many wars.

On that day, I sent my last report to Emperor Aurang Zeb. In this report I wrote my eyewitness account in details. I also warned Aurang Zeb in the strongest possible words not to dare challenge the incarnation of God, and desist from cruel policies and that if he did not listen to and act on my advise, then God forbid, he would lose all - his throne and family.

Gyani Dalip Singh "Komal" of Dhaunola informed that this book is lying in the archives of Aligarh University."

(Extracted from the unpublished, "History of Ramgarhias")

If any body doubts the above eyewitness account of the Visakhi of 1699, Guru Granth Sahib Ji says," Ikna nu Satguru Ki partit na Aaye." (Some who have no faith in their Guru)

• 3 weeks later...

This following account differs:

Creation of the Khalsa by Guru Gobind Singh in 1699

All of the Sikh cronicles record the fact that during the ceremony of initiating the first five Sikhs into the Khalsa brotherhood Guru Gobind Singh asked for volunteers who would be willing to give their heads. He took each volunteer into the tent and a loud thud was heard and blood trickled out of the tent. Guru Gobind Singh then emerged from the tent with his sword dripping with blood and asked for the next volunteer. Eventually Guru Gobind Singh emerged from the tent with the five beloved ones alive. He pulled back the covers of the tent and revealed to the thousands gathered that he had really slaughtered five goats with his sword and not the five beloved ones

which one is correct?

Have you heard of Rita sahib Gurdwara?

Have you heard of Gurdwaras Nanak-Matta?

Both Gurdwaras are in Himachal Pardesh and Guru Nanak Dev ji showed miracle over there but to prove something not to show his power or to impress people.

um...I thought the gurus couldn't bring people back to life, that is something left best up to god, and as we all know the gurus were not god, they were enlightened, but could not bring someone back to life. Because that would also refute the idea that sikhism is practical, in my opinion atleast (ie humans can't bring anything back to life, and the gurus were human). I have always been taught the goat theory because the guru's did not control life and death. Just my two cents.

ok, would pretty much wholeheartedly agree with the account posted above by NEO SINGH

iv read the account on several occasions, and have also heard the story in many sakhi's being told at the Gurdwara,

the names of the panj piyare are very significant to Daya, Dharam, Himmat, Mohkam, Sahib, for the Khalsa to be established Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji instilled five Shakti's within the Khalsa's mind body and soul

Daya - Charity and compassion towards others

Himmat - Strength, Courage

Dharam - Religious belief

Sahib - Ordered Governance

Mohkam - n lastly i cant remember the english for this, il add it as soon as i get home n refresh my memory.

by instilling these five powers within Sikhs and the Khalsa was established to fight against the Moghul ruler's of the time, and up until all the five shakti's were intact the Sikh rule was prevelant, and as they say the rest is history

;)

n in regards to Nihal Kaur's comments, it was if i remember correctly Guru Arjan Dev Ji's son who was reprimanded, but not for showing miracle's, he was sent to the court of the Moghul ruler of the time, and he displayed many miracles by the Guru Ji's order's but then he read a line of Gurbani wrongly so in order to not cause offence to the Moghul ruler,

Infernal Monk, IMHO, the Satguru is God's representation on this earth, hence they have power over all of which exists, so bringing someone back to life wouldnt b something out of the ordinary

Goat theory is more accurate.

Scholars will always go for accuracy because its their job to write something that make sense. But guroo maharaj did many kautak's that normal scholar cant even intrepret it.

Theory of bring people alive from tent after wouldnt make sense to them because they lack big time "faith" in guroo sahiban though they might be filled with vidiya/gyan/doubts.

Guruoo maharaj were nirankar themselves!!!!!!!

I would rather die then question guroo maharaj's bringing their panj pyareiz alive from the tent after chopping their head off!!!!!

Let me quote from the writing :

Guru Ji came to the Diwan and, unsheathing his sword, spoke in his thundering voice that he needed a head. No questions or hesitation at all, Bhai Dya Ram came forward to Guru Ji. Guru Ji right in front of all, cut off his head from the body in one stroke. Every body present was stunned. Then Guru Ji again thundered and demanded one more head. Right on Guru's call, Dharam Chand got up, came to Guru Ji, bowed his head and said here is my offering of my head. Guru Ji, again, in one stroke cut off Dharam Chand's head from his body.

Now there was a big commotion in the Diwan. But Guru Ji in his thundering voice went on demanding heads, one after the other. Himmat Rai, Mohkam Chand and Sahib Ram got up and offered their heads. Guru Ji cut off the heads of these three also.

From the corpses, he took the covering sheets off. First he sat on the head side of Dya Ram, and poured AMRIT "Elixir" in his mouth, then poured some on his head and sprinkled some on his body, and then he asked the dead body to say "Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh." As if on his Guru's Command, Dya Ram got up and repeated in his bold voice,"Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh."

It appeared that in the entire congregation every body was so stunned and as if stopped breathing. There was pin-drop silence. All those present were mesmerized with their Guru's miracle. In the same manner, one after the other, Guru made the other four alive too.

I'm a bit confused then, if the gurus could indeed bring people back from the dead and perform such miralces then how does that make sikhi practical? I mean only god can control such things. Also if the gurus were just god's representation then why do we make such a big deal about them, I mean they were just god in different bodies so just worship god and don't worry about the guru's cause those were only bodies that god used. I just see a contradiction there.

P.S. I am a sikh, I am in no way trying to disparage the gurus, I am merely trying to better my understanding of the panj pyare.

Monk bro

If WAHEGURU is the sun, the Gurus are sun rays, lets look at it that way. Since we may not have direct access to the sun, its the sun rays who bring us the light, and so in this case Gurus brought us Gurbani. The reason why Sikhi believes in following Gurujee is coz without a Guru, even if some1 does find GOD, he/she will still be stuck with haumai that I FOUND GOD. Therefore Guru takes away that I.

Also, if we really want to take every words as truth then we have to have original manuscript in which it was written and also the name of the author. And how did they find it? Can somoene please let me know?

Ok you guys cleared one of my questions, but what about the whole deal with performing the miracles, I mean the gurus were still human. I'm sorry if i sound redundant, but humans can't bring people back to live. Admittidly the gurus were on a much higher spritual plane than others, but they still did not possess the powers of god. Only god is above time, and no one else is, to bring someone to life is to go against this.

Pardon any spelling errors, I'm writing this in a hurry, work..lol

Vaheguru je ka khalsa, vaheguru je ke fateh!

This moorkh will try to shed some light with the grace of satguru maharaj.

Gurus were not ordinary men. They were perfect. They were immerersed in naam. They were sent to spread the message of sikhi which will kindle a new light in the age of kalyug( age of darkness). Gurus were not god as guru gobind singh je said

whoever shall call me god will burn in the fires of hell

BUT

they had completeley merged with vaheguru, making them no different from god

Vahegurus naam is a source of anand, spirituual bliss, and supernatural powers

Guru je had been so immersed in gurmantar vaheguru, he was no different than vaheguru

Just like if you take a cup of water from the tap, and pour into the ocean, the tap water completly mixes in with the ocean

Just like that, guru je was completly mixed with vaheguru, they were not the same, but there was no difference

The same is with a brahm giani, someone who has ataained the knowledge of god

AS for the vasakhi account, abdul trani was there in 1699 and also took amrit that same day

There are many quotes in bani, that guru je can bring people back fromm the dead

Guru je had immence power we cannot even begin to comprehend

And sparrows, when drinking only water mixed with the khanda, were not turned into hawks, but instead, being a sparrow, killed a hawk

And as bhia rochak je said, guru je was sent to deliver the message of sikhi, which, if followed properly, will take you to sach khand easily and fast

Guru je does take away the i

And as to why guru je would cut the heads, this moorkh has this to say

In 1699, there were many people. Guru je asked for 5 heads. Those who didint question WHY their guru did it, were given supreme authority as panj pyaras, and those who did question, just sat back or ran away

Guru je is perfect, sent by vaheguru to lead this world straight, if we doubt him, we doubt vaheguru, as everything guru je does is a command of god or approved by god

for example

agai paye akal ke, tabe chalou panth

Guru gobind singh je says

God ( akal) oredered me, that is the reason i started the panth khalsa

everything done by guru je is either approved by god, or a hukam given by god

i ask for sincere forgivness if i have made any mistakes

bhul chuk maf

Vaheguru je ka khalsa, Vaheguru je ke fateh!

Khalistani Sahib,

You've written good post but then it contradicts Guru ji's own words.

Also can you tell us where this manuscripts was found? Who is the author?

Here is what Guru ji has written by himself in Bachitor Natak.

http://www.sikhs.org/guru10.htm

I establish thee as my son, that you spread My Path. Go and instruct men in Righteousness and the Moral Law, and make people desist from evil.'

I stood up, with joined palms, and bowing my head to Lord God, I said: Thy Path I shall spread only if Thou be at my back.

For this was I born into the world, I utter only how and what God uttered to me, for I am the enemy of no one. He who calls me God will surely burn in the fire of hell. For I am only the servant of God: doubt not the veracity of this statement. I am but the slave of the Supreme Being come to witness His Play. I tell the world only what my God said to me, for I will not be silenced through fear of the mere mortals. I utter as is the Instruction of my God, for I consider no one greater than Him. I am pleased not with any religious garb, so I shall sow the seeds of the Unaccountable One. Nay, I worship not stones, nor am I attracted by denomintional coats. I utter only the name of the Infinite and so attain unto the Supreme Being. I wear not matted hair, nor ear-rings, nor have regard for any such ritual, and do only what God bids me do. I repeat only the Name of One God who fulfills us, at all places. No, I utter not another's name, nor establish another God. I dwell upon the Name of the Infinite One and so realise the essence of the Supreme Light. I give thought to none else, nor utter another's name. O God, with Thy one Name I am imbued. I have no other pride. Yea, I utter only Thy Name and eradicate my endless sins. (Guru Gobind Singh, Vachitra Natak)

Vaheguru je ka khalsa, Vaheguru je ke fateh!

Pyare bhia sahib trith singh je,

With the blesses kirpa of vaheguru je, i have read bachiter natak.

Thats why in my post i mentioned,

Whoever shall call me god, shall burn in the fires of hell

- Guru gobind singh je, dasam granth, bachiter natak

But if u read sukhmani sahib, it will say

Brahm giaini aap nirankar

( The Brahm Giani is Nirankar ( god) himself)

Now how could that be?

I used the tap water and ocean philosophy to try to explain how guru je was not god, but there was no difference. Please perhaps read my post very carefully, and then please, tell me if i have made a mistake

I am a moorkh and i can make mistakes

please correct this dasan dass if he does

bhul chuk maf

Vaheguru je ka khalsa, Vaheguru je ke Fateh!