Y parents stil adopt da caste system?

Y do parents stil use da caste system? It doesnt say ne where in da Guru Granth Sahib dat we av to abide by da caste system. Guru Gobind Singh Ji said dat we av no caste das y we treat each ova equally. Da only caste we av is Khalsa wen we take amrit. Let me no ur views on dis.

well - the caste system is more of a punjabi culture thing - not sikhi

yes the caste system was abolished by the creation of khalsa - but because of how the way india works - the hindu influence - and all this stuff its hard for many people to get rid of this stigma

caste system in sikhi is more of a proffession thing - not heirachy - if u think about it the average sikh (not ignorant person who thinks jatts are the best and everyone else is scum) will treat everyone the same - IVE NEVER come accross anyone who like hates tharkhans - chamars - choorey and jatts myself.... i think its a bit of a overated thing

yes people brag about their caste but the way it works in sikhi is no one is looked on as a nothing - u get me

hopefully in the next generation - we will be able to break this whole caste system and get rid of ti forever within sikhi - education is the key :wink:

fateh

i agree wid u steel

all wz sed rite

sum gurdwara's av der sign board sayn 'Ramgharia Gurdwara' wich is rong i fink.

dat js divides us sikhs even mor.

jatts, chumars, lohare's all go to da ramgharia gurdwara.

caste system shud b abolished totally.

i blame da parents.

i agree wid u steel

all wz sed rite

sum gurdwara's av der sign board sayn 'Ramgharia Gurdwara' wich is rong i fink.

dat js divides us sikhs even mor.

jatts, chumars, lohare's all go to da ramgharia gurdwara.

caste system shud b abolished totally.

i blame da parents.

lol everyone blames parents!!.... in some cases yeh they can be made to blame - but not cos someone created a ramgharia gurdwara

u think about it.... have u ever come accross a "jatt gurdwara"??..... ive never heard of one ever in my life - its stupid cos why have a ramgharia gurdwara - its not liek there is a jatt SGGS and a tharkhaan SGGS... we follow the same scriptures..... shri guru gobind singh ji abolished the caste system and social labbeling by creating the khalsa singhs and kaurs..... so why is this bullshit still around 300 yrs lata? :evil: :evil:

im not tooo sure about this - ill have to ask my dad or someone - but the reason why theres ramgharia gurdwaras is cos when people came to uk n that - there was some panga's between the managements - most probably cos of castes or soemthing - and so one of em went n made his own ramgharia gurdwara.... anyone else heard about this?

Guest kaur1699

its about people passin on wat their parents told and taught them... our parents hav been told that the caste system is important etc etc and thats wat they believe even though they kno its wrong...

wat we hav to do is start sorting out wat we want for the future... if we make a stand now... then theres a chance all this caste stuff will start to lose its importance with the generations to come....

its good and tru to say that the caste system shud be abolished... but the older generations are stuck in their ways... i dont see them changing... its up to us to make changes for the future...

Having a caste system is a MAJOR problem.. we have enuff divisions amongst our people as it is. this gives another excuse for people to make up their own rules and regulations and are dragged further from their Guru in the process. and new generations suffer as a result.

i saw the most shocking thing in my life when i attended the wedding of an old schoolfriend of mine. I walked into the "caste specific" Gurudwara and saw bacon, eggs and sausages being served in the langar hall.

my friends, i had no idea what was going on.. and to these people it was quite the norm. I was so disgusted that i left, and didnt even go up to the darbar hall for two reasons:

firstly, had i seen any kind of be-addbi (disprespect) happning up there i would have flipped out and caused a massive scene at someones wedding amongst people who find this kind of behaviour appropriate

secondly, i was afraid to accept the deg (prashaad) as i had no idea what it would be and how it was prepared.

this is the extent to which we are divided my friends. people argue about meat, drink, morality etc etc and in the process all we do is drift further out to sea and away from the safety of the shore. i simply say this:

regardless of what your cultural background is, regardless of the caste names up on our Guru Ghars, just focus on embracing our Gurus word IN ITS ENTIRETY. ie not trying to be slick and misqouting Baani for our own ends. because i have seen with my own eyes the depths that these things have caused people to stoop to.

Having a caste system is a MAJOR problem.. we have enuff divisions amongst our people as it is. this gives another excuse for people to make up their own rules and regulations and are dragged further from their Guru in the process. and new generations suffer as a result.

i saw the most shocking thing in my life when i attended the wedding of an old schoolfriend of mine. I walked into the "caste specific" Gurudwara and saw bacon, eggs and sausages being served in the langar hall.

yeh me heard about this lot... BHATREY innit??? personally i think its disgusting and disrespectful....

hmmm u may find the bhaterrey serving meat disrespectfull but I think the main reason the Sikh langar is vegetarian if to make sure ANYBODY can partake of it.

I did read somewhere that the original Langars didnt have onions or carrots as part of the langar as these root vegetables arent allowed to be consummed by the Jain faith (Feel free to correct me on that i aint 100 % sure thast true)

As for the caste system we all know its bukwaas but as long as we keep perpertrating its ills and teaching it to our children it will remian,

• 1 month later...

VJKK VJKF

I understand that it's wrong to use the caste system, but what about using caste names?

My family has the name "Grewal" - is this not wrong?

I want to get it deleted from my birth certificate, but my parents won't let me. It looks dead stupid writing Kaur and Grewal together in school, say.

VJKK VJKF

VJKK VJKF

I understand that it's wrong to use the caste system, but what about using caste names?

My family has the name "Grewal" - is this not wrong?

I want to get it deleted from my birth certificate, but my parents won't let me. It looks dead stupid writing Kaur and Grewal together in school, say.

VJKK VJKF

Caste is against Sikhism but there is nothing wrong with your name, it is a part of your heritage and family! Keep it and be proud of your Punjabi race as well as Sikhism!

Kind Rgeards,

MI

i don't know if its part of my heitage, we are sikhs, universal brother hood, and we are all singhs and kaurs...My parents and my uncles all got rid of our "last names". There was no heritage in that, just restrictive lableing that is against sikhism. Just my views on the matter.

true - the surnames are also a label too.... if i tell my mom any of my friends surnames... she will say... "oh tharkaan hoona fir" lol... surnames also reflect ur caste too