Very few practice Sikhi in real life

here is the email forward i got.. some interesting points in them..

-------

Well Sikh women preferring Clean Shaven men is some thing with is very

common Sikhs staying all over the world. The reason is majority Sikhs

have misconceptions about the Sikh belief. In others words when parents them selves are not dedicated to Sikhi we cannot accept children to follow.

Then there are people who can read the Guru Granth Sahib Ji but hardly

understand any thing. When one cannot understand Bani then one cannot

practice Sikhi also.

Then there are people who are knowledgeable but do not want to share

with others. This is a typical Brahiminical attitude. Most raagis today sing

Sabads only for money. The same is applicable who do Katha in

Gurudwaras.

Building Gurudwaras unneceassaryly. Recently I had been to Amritsar and was travelling by road towards Delhi. On the high way I came across

Gurudwaras existing with no Ardas and Bani being read.

Too much Parshad. This is some thing very common among the rich Sikh

businessman. On the Sunday Morning Deevan I have observed boxes of

sweets, Chole Bature, etc. being distributed. The result of which I see people come only 5 minutes before the Anand Sahib is read. In others words Gurudwaras are as good as an eating resort in present times. Many distribute Prasad to only express their ego (Ahankar). These rich Sikhs ill-treat all poor and middle class Sikhs coming to Gurudwaras. Some thing, which is against Sikh principles.

Sewadars in Gurudwaras are very arrogant. When a person doesn’t have

control over one’s anger (Krodh) then one cannot understand bani also.

People don’t want to follow the Guru Granth Sahib Ji but believe in

following what the Saints and Babas say in their speeches (Pravachan).

Many distort the Guru Granth Sahib Ji and create misconceptions among

people. The result of which many Sikh families have paintings of Hindu Gods in their homes. Many perform rituals of worshipping idols also. Many go the Hindu Temples and ask the Pandit to perform Puja.

Sewa has become conditional. If someone donates any thing to the

Gurudwara he/she wants their names to be announced in the Ardas or names to be written on marbles in Gurudwara. Something I have observed in Harmindar Sahib and Sri Hazoor Sahib.

Again this is not something what Sikhi teaches. Such a thing should be completely abolished and should be part of religious guideline.

Many complain that reading Guru Granth Sahib is too complicated, but

don’t have the time to even go through the Sikh web sites which are full of information.

Infact the complete English translation of Guru Granth Sahib is

available on line. Apart from that SGPC also publishes English

translation of Guru Granth Sahib. There are 11 volumes available at Harimandir Sahib. When one doesn’t have the will to do things then no one can help.

Another factor is that we always talk of Sikh history with bloodshed.

We can talk of love and affection with children. We can talk about the

teachings of Gurus, their achievements, their works, their service to mankind, the improvements of rituals and practices being carried out by other beliefs, etc. We need not always talk of violence.

Above all the improper image media shows in films, since there is not a

single film maker dedicated to Sikhi. Sikh film makers themselves demoralise sikhi to make money.

When children see all this things then certainly it creates confusion

in their minds and encourages them to see for life partners from other

beliefs.

Please discuss :D :D

Guest Punjabi Nationalist

Well Sikh women preferring Clean Shaven men is some thing with is very

common Sikhs staying all over the world. The reason is majority Sikhs

have misconceptions about the Sikh belief. In others words when parents them selves are not dedicated to Sikhi we cannot accept children to follow.

Didnt Guru Nanak speak out against the superficialities of keeping a certain look or appearance and pretending that this is in any way, shape or form, connected with spirituality?

Being apart of the Khalsa Panth is one thing, being a Sikh is another.

Sikhism is not restricted to wearing of 5K's. I see no conflict between Amritdhari, Keshdhari or Sehajdhari. All are Sikhs, all believe in the teachings of the Guru Granth Sahib, all are equal before God's eyes.

Making a fuss about clean-shaven or beard and turban is digging into the realms of fundamentalism and plain idiocy.

I am not an amritdhari, yet i am growing my hair, tie a patka (non-traditional way i admit) and at all times wear a kara. Yet, these things do not make me a Sikh, it is my belief in God and Guru Granth Sahib that does. I am likely to cut my hair in a couple of years, i already trim my beard, do these things make me any less a believer? I dont think so.

What people misinterpret is that Khalsa Panth was formed so that Sikhs could all unite as one in the face of oppression. It is said that every Sikh should be a saint, and if necessary, a soldier. Khalsa Panth is a militant order, it is not required that all Sikhs become Khalsa. That is my view and i have not been convinced otherwise.

Guest Punjabi Nationalist

Sat Sri Akal:

"Being apart of the Khalsa Panth is one thing, being a Sikh is another."

Got some support to that claim?

The fact that the ideology and philosophy behind Sikhism is 200 odd years older than the introduction of the Khalsa Panth.

God is the most important factor of any religion. Khalsa Panth is for those who wish to become amritdhari. It is not mandatory that all Sikhs must take amrit and keep the 5 K's.

This is not something Guru Nanak taught his Sikhs that they needed to do to prove their love and devotion to the almighty, which is what Sikhism is centred around (ie God)

I agree it i not mandatory to take Amrit. It appears that you seem to know a lot about Guru Nanak Dev ji's teachings....

So, in Japuji Sahib Ji Guru ji makes numerous references to 'Sunnai', Guru ji often stresses the important of listening( to the guru) and subbmitting to his hukam(some people consider this to be 'cosmic law')and becoming a slave help us listen! In fact Guru Ji takes this a step further, he offers us the secret to achieve this, to put it simply, drop your ego and you will be able to listen and submit to hukum!

So how does this link in with Amrit? Well, many consider it to be a gift, in the sense that when taking Amrit you are accepting death( to your ego), you effectively chop your head off and place it aside.

Only then you feel the full fruit of Guru's teachings, why?

Because once you chop your head off and place it aside only then can you truly listen

So you could say that AMRIT IS UNIQUE AND A GIFT FROM GURU JI! and its designed to act as a ego basher!(Although it had adverse effect on some Amritdharis - mainly due to lack of understanding of gurubani)

Furthermore, in my opinion, i think TRUE AMRIT occurs for people who have love for Guru Ji(now in the form of Guru Granth Sahib Ji). They read and absorb bani, and think to themselves WOW!(waheguru), they fall in love with Guru Ji!

When you fall in love with someone you may notice that when they are present your focus is entirely on them! you dont even think about yourself because they are sooooo beautiful! Similary, people fall so much in love with guru ji that they begin to forget about themselves, their ego drops, hence the THIRST FOR AMRIT GROWS, they WANT TO GIVE THEIR HEAD !!!

'Oh Waheguru,dispeller of darkness, i love you! I dont care about me! im a blind child without your guidance! TAKE MY HEAD PLEASE'

Guru Ji's gift!!!! and we are considering it to be a chore!!

We are considering it to be an Issue a BURDEN!!!

THAT IS OUR PROBLEM - !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! True Amrit is the key to success(spiritual) in Kalyug!!!!! AND WE SIKHS HAVE GURU JI and AMRIT!!!

IF HE ASKS US TO KEEP HIS HAIR SO WHAT THE HELL!!! ALL THE FRUITS HE HAS GIVEN US, HE AS NEVER TURNED HIS BACK ON US!!!! DO YOU THINK HE WOULD EVER DO SOMETHING DETRIMENTAL TO US!!! NO!!!

PS IM NOT A AMRITDHARI and feel hurt when people(who havebeen forced to take amrit) make it seem like a chore! how can you force people to take amrit! CAN YOU FORCE SOMEONE TO LOVE SOMETHING! NO

THAT IS ANOTHER PROBLEM; so we N30 Singh we

have lackof understanding of BANI

Results in Lack of understanding in Amrit

• 3 weeks later...

IF HE ASKS US TO KEEP HIS HAIR SO WHAT THE HELL!!! ALL THE FRUITS HE HAS GIVEN US, HE AS NEVER TURNED HIS BACK ON US!!!! DO YOU THINK HE WOULD EVER DO SOMETHING DETRIMENTAL TO US!!! NO!!!

PS IM NOT A AMRITDHARI and feel hurt when people(who havebeen forced to take amrit) make it seem like a chore! how can you force people to take amrit! CAN YOU FORCE SOMEONE TO LOVE SOMETHING! NO

Fully Agreed !!!... :D