Marriage

Also, when did it start?

Some people say that it was around at the times of our Gurus (Guru Hargobing I think), whilst some say it was started by a sect of Sikhi (can't rremember their name) in the 1800s.

Isn't it ritualistic? I've heard the explanation given for them (ie the union of 2 souls) but I'm still not convinced.

• 3 weeks later...

If I loved a woman and we love been partners then why is it nessacary to have a anand karaj?

whats the importance of it?

It's quite simple really: if you are a Sikh, then you must be married (via the Anand Karaj) before you engage in any sexual contact. Otherwise, you would be in violation of the Rehit Marayada.

i think hes asking more in the purpose of Marriage.

As Amrik singh stated, if i love someone and its mutual what then is the purpose of a marriage??

i am curious as well as to what is the real purpose is.

Is it just a licence to have sex??

Is it a bond that lets you share this spiritual journey with a partner. It could also support the Monogamous relationship one must hold to, rather than just breeding like animals. Marriage make the experience of pro-creation much more civilized and emotional. With the bond of marriage you share the experience of life with a partner, that sharing of the ups and downs of life makes living life much more supportive. Also taking into consideration the Spiritual journey one can share with their partner. So besides the Soceities rules of one should get married is to force monogamous bond with an individual.

atleast thas my prespective of it.

It's quite simple really: if you are a Sikh, then you must be married (via the Anand Karaj) before you engage in any sexual contact. Otherwise, you would be in violation of the Rehit Marayada.

so you infront of the guru granth sahib....your doing all this ceremony and afterwards you have the passport to have sex, lol

anymore explanations?

this doubt don't go away

WEll Amrik, take it this way, In my opinion, Sex is for REPRODUCTION, for pleasure in my opinion is LUST

now AnandKarj is when two body's become one soul ...or is it opposte :?

and I TIHNK Maharaj says, that with Anand Karj, you've got your parenter, which amkes it easier when its two fo you to do Naam Jaapna , and achive salvation :)

hoep that explains it :?

bhull chukk maaf

WEll Amrik, take it this way, In my opinion, Sex is for REPRODUCTION, for pleasure in my opinion is LUST

Gur Fateh!

I have found it hard to understand why this view has developed within the Panth...for it is one derived from Vaishnav Hindoo movements such as the Hare Krishnas (and now strangely adopted by Sikh Organisations and Groups who proudly tend claim to be following Tat Gurmat Maryada)...nature produces far more Libido than that required for reproduction alone...

...if you equate Sex totally with Lust, then I suggest you please reconsider your understanding of Sex and also have a read of Charitropakyan for the Guru's instruction on Sex within marriage...

Humbly,

Niranjana

MR Singh

Ummm, Its actually HARDER to find the time to do naam simran, seva, and paat when you have to be married and live a family life.

So thats kinda wierd idea.

If a person doesnt get married and lives by themselves, don't they have tonnes more time than married couples to do the simran etc?

HUman being is stuck in WORDLY affairs

remember

'Gobind Millan ki eho teri Bariya'

Gur Fateh!

I have found it hard to understand why this view has developed within the Panth...for it is one derived from Vaishnav Hindoo movements such as the Hare Krishnas (and now strangely adopted by Sikh Organisations and Groups who proudly tend claim to be following Tat Gurmat Maryada)...nature produces far more Libido than that required for reproduction alone...

I was basing my post on My Opinion, not what some Hindu movement says :)

...if you equate Sex totally with Lust, then I suggest you please reconsider your understanding of Sex and also have a read of Charitropakyan for the Guru's instruction on Sex within marriage...

Humbly,

Niranjana

I shall, thers jsut one Problem.

I got to begin Understanding and followign Jaapji Sahib, and begin Following DHAN DHAN SRI GURU GRANTH SAHIB JI,

only then can I arrive to Dasam Granth :)

also For some reason, thers a missunderstanding whether above is GURBANI OR NOT..

I'm nether pro of COns, as I havn't read it but jsut felt it could be good to bring up

Bhull chukk maaf ;)

Mr Singh, it is a misunderstanding (re: Charitopakyan) because the very mention of SEX these days within Sikh circles receives reactions you usually expect from Zealous Christians or Vaishnav Hindoo movements...if not this, then you get the usual reaction you'd expect from a adolescent boy with wild hormones (again for the same reasons)...

Guest Javanmard

From experience I can say that my simran has actually improved since Akal Purakh has blessed me with the presence of my other half. All you need is love!

but I do understand that a lot of girls are afraid of marriage because they forced into it because of social pressure. Sisters: resist!!!

Guest Maha_Pavitar

I certainly concur with that point veerji..To give love is such a joyful experience, it lifts your spirits and certainly brings you closer to divinity. The most joy is shared doing simran..seva together..

Guest Javanmard

bihangam means "without attachment" not celibate!

As a bihangam you can chose to be celibate or... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: not to be attached! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

sowwie lalleshvari.. i meant thats what i meant.. lol... not to be attached is good but its a challenge itself.. how can you not get attached with your wife living with you ....i m afraid my wifey might take place over my murshad... :(..... but i guess i have develop more faith in order to totally secure :D