How much we really love our Guru?

When we goto the Gurudwara and we open our purse. We look for the smallest amount of money that we can offer to the Guru and then the next thing we look is the most woren off bill that we can offer.

but we are ready to spend 20-30 bucks on clubbing and we easily spend 10 bucks going out for having a nice time with our friends, but when we goto the Gurudwara we are always thinking of the smallest amount of money we can put ! how sad !

When we goto the shopkeeper we tell him "Give me the most cheapest hankerchiefs" for the SGGS.. but for ourselves we examine each and every cloth and we buy the most expensive and stylish clothes.

When we goto the Gurudwara and we do seva.. we do seva inorder to get it done, sometimes we leave it half-done, but when we clean our houses we dont even let a single speck of our dust on the floor !

Is this the state of our devotion to our Guru in this age.

although we repeat everytime "Guru maniyeeo Granth. Pargat Gura Ki dain."

It depends sevak. If you look at Sikh history then you can see that Sikhs were on the top in donating. In new generation still we have Gursikhs and they are willing to donate and serve Gurudwaras and Sikhism at anytime. Its just every coin has two sides so that goes for Sikhs as well. We have good ones and we have bad ones. Maharaja Ranjit Singh did the Gold service at "Darbar sahib" at Amritsar and still he was "Tankhayia" Sikh who was punished for not following Sikhism properly with law of Akal Thakhat. We have Singhs like Baba Deep Singh who has donated his head in front of Guru so what is left if we see at Sikh history.

Sikh history and Sikhs are amazing but one local gurdwara in local city and one Sikh can't tell you the whole story but our area of judgement should be wide enough to judge Sikhism.

Regards,

It depends sevak. If you look at Sikh history then you can see it that Sikhs were on the top in donating. In new generation still we have Gursikhs and they are willing to donate and serve Gurudwaras and Sikhism at anytime. Its just everyone coin has two sides so that goes for Sikhs as well. We have good ones and we have bad ones. Maharaja Ranjit Singh did the Gold service at "Darbar sahib" at Amritsar and still he was "Tankhayia" Sikh who was punished for not following Sikhism properly with law of Akal Thakhat. We have Singhs like Baba Deep Singh who has donated his head in front of Guru so what is left if we see at Sikh history.

Sikh history and Sikhs are amazing but one local gurdwara in local city and one Sikh can't tell you the whole story but our area of judgement should be wide enough to judge Sikhism.

Regards,

brilliant - cudnt have said it any better myself :wink:

fateh

in most cases it is not the money factor... u can have a 20 pound ramala or u can have a 100 pound ramala.... the person who offers a 20 pound ramala can give it will upmost respect and devotion for shri guru granth sahib ji - whereas the person who give sthe 100 pound ramala can give it as a way of sayin his money will buy wahegurus love..... which is not true

someone can put 5 pound in the gollak - someone can put in 10 pence... however the way they ask for behnti from guru ji can be miles apart... its not about money - its about perception

fateh ji

in most cases it is not the money factor... u can have a 20 pound ramala or u can have a 100 pound ramala.... the person who offers a 20 pound ramala can give it will upmost respect and devotion for shri guru granth sahib ji - whereas the person who give sthe 100 pound ramala can give it as a way of sayin his money will buy wahegurus love..... which is not true

someone can put 5 pound in the gollak - someone can put in 10 pence... however the way they ask for behnti from guru ji can be miles apart... its not about money - its about perception

fateh ji

yup this is also true.

One should not make an appeal for money is Sangat in the holy presence of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. If everybody contributes his 'Daswandh' (One tenth of one's income) there will be no shortage of funds and all the programmes will run smoothy.

thats what guru ji said.. is that exactly whats happening??? instead of that... fake sants rip off people

The idea behind money is not who gives more money and who gives less money. It is to show us and reflect how attached we are to our wealth.

Guru doesnt want our money. He is only hungry for our love.

When we goto the Gurudwara, people's hearts become small and they dont want to give money and others who are rich will start throwing lump sump of money just to attract attention or show how devoted they are.

In truth none of this is accepted by the Guru, but anything that is offered out of love no matter how little is accepted by the Guru.

Sikhs are by in large Punjabis and Punjabis by in large are khullay dhill gregarious ppl who love showing off - how many of us have fought over who pays the bill at a restaurant ???? and i dont mean ppl shirking i mean ppl insisting they pay for others - I know ive done it and the majority of our mates have we love being the ones buying the rounds and showing ppl how open friendly we are and on a certain level its all about posing.

where we cant publicly flaunt how much we spending then we try and cut our losses and do the old hunting for change whilst approaching the golak routine.

Yes we should give generously to the gurdwara but that means more than publicly donatong a grand to the building fund - there is nothing better than serving of urself.

Doing seva with ur time rather than ur money and then we learn the true meanings of seva and the humilty gained by serving our fellow man.

Seva is all about giving of urself and it dont always mean money.

ppl are forgetting the ways.

How sad it is...

Anybody ever wonder what God is thinking when They look dwn on earth?

Just 4 a second think... God is inside of you now, what wud They be thinking... and with everything u do (dnt go over the top) but iin the key points in your life, how do u think God wud want it. Okay i know off gone off the subject - sorry...

• 1 month later...

actual seva is priceless and helping in a gurdwara is much better then boosting ur ego by giving a load of money, however many times ive seen people do seva for "show"..... at my local gurdwara there is a singh who does jorey di seva.... he just rubs his hand over a shoe and then picks the shoe and puts it on his head..... i dunno what hes doin - whether trying to lower his worth by puttin shoes on his head but... why????? :?

u dont have to clean every shoe - clean a few properly and thats seva.. not rub the shoe and do ur besathee by puttin the shoe on ur head.... we dont even let our paags touch the floor - dont touch our kesh with unclean/jootey hands.. and this guy is puttin dirty shoes on his head.... we are told not to touch the feet of anyone else apart from our shri guru granth sahib ji - so whats this? sorry if this seems very picky :?

I m afraid, Real hardcore seeva doesnt even exist today.

Wants to be seevadar... read jaanam sakhis of guru angad dev ji (bhai lehna ji) 12 yrs of guru nanak seeva...

Murda hayo seeva hundiii aa....(Forget about ur body, think of that chola and do seeva of the sangat)

all though there are many great examples of seevadars in 19th century... best example i think of bhagat puran singh ji..

vahegurooo :D

• 10 months later...
Guest Maha_Pavitar

Vaaheguroo jee..

Our wondrous beloved Akaal Purakh is the endless giver of all gifts..

I agree with veerji, what possibly can we give 'back'?? Veerji, nothing really..all we can do is LOVE & RESPECT the gifts we are given..

Love life, love the light in everything (trees, animals, humans, air)..love it so much..you become one with it..Respect it..care for it as your own..make use of the time, the breaths, the gifts you are given..

'This lifetime is devoted to your dear beloved'

"YOU ARE NOT OF THIS WORLD"

in & with love!!!!

Jis ke vast soi lain jayega. "What he has given, he can take it back".

For me God is like a pond of water and I will drink from it and drink as much as I want.

N30 SINGH. ... Hardcore seva exists. You dont have to goto teh Gurudwaras. God gave you parents to do seva for. He gave you duty/kirt for which you should do seva and morning and evning doing path/simran. This is hardcore seva. You dont need to search or go out for seva.