Validity of our Rehat

Sorry I haven't responded in a while...been busy :)

When I was growing up, I had my haircut, so did my parents, etc, but I was always raised in an environment that in which I was taught cutting your hair is bad, and is not acceptable. Now we can keep justifying that "cutting your hair" doesn't matter as long as you have a "good heart," etc blah blah blah...But lemme suggest one thing, a TRUE SIKH will learn and never cut their hair.

Well, that's pretty much an opinion. I myself have kept my hair since birth, and everyone in my family has as well. However, after meeting many Sikhs, I have found that a lot of the things I believe in--i.e. keeping of hair--are very hard to justify. We can pull out this quote from this book or that quote from that book...but in the end, these things are no where to be found in SGGS...which makes us wonder how crucial they are

I personally began to keep my hair, last year. And what is the purpose? Keeping our hair, reminds us, everyday while tying our dastaar who we are, that we should always do good, n etc. Doing paht 3 times a day, brings us shanti, and we always live on the principles of guruji. Now, I'm not amritdhari, but I do see sense in the guruji's teachings.

Come on, bro...you don't think we can remember who we are without tying a dastar? I'm 17, and I think I have enough common sense to have morals and know what I stand for without having to stand in front of a mirror every morning tying a dastar. As far as path is considered, Guru Ji says we should always think of God/do simran...so if we try to think of Waheguru with every breath, we should be fine. Sikhi is about changing the way we think, not the way we look (in my opinion, of course).

Back during the moghul rule, Aurganzeb use to ask for his muslims to bring back KESH of SIKHS. Why do we tie paghs? Cause guruji from the beginning has said, the pagh is a crown. I think it would look quite stupid for a sikh to tie a joora, and walk around. That it is where the cultural thing comes in. That we have TO TIE A RESPECTFUL DASTAAR to keep our kesh nice and clean. The KESH is sacred, but we can almost tie anything to cover it.

But again, I have a problem with this because it's not documented in the most powerful thing in the world--SGGS. If SGGS is supposed to tell us how to merge with God, then it should have everything we need.

Do you know that the SGGS doesn't mention anywhere to keep our hair? I have questioned everything in sikhism, and from my questioning I haven't even found one fault in Sikhism. I do not follow the faith blindly, we shouldn't debate on stupid matters of kesh, cause we all know what the truth is, we can make as many excuses we want.

I simply don't see how you make kesh so obvious. Perhaps we should question everything we hear...just like Guru Nanak Dev Ji...and accept what makes sense...I have a hard time believing that hair makes me any better of a Sikh...I personally know some Sikhs who have cut hair that are 100000000 times better than me...

The turban is the Sikh's nishani, it wil always be, you can spot out a Sikh anywhere thats the beauty of it. It is universal brotherhood, when you see another Sikh you always feel comfortable and say Sat Sri Akal.

What's the big deal about being able to spot a fellow Sikh? I don't understand how that brings me closer to God. Also, most people when I step out into the world think I'm Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist...no one ever guesses I'm a Sikh. Also, you say that when you meet another Sikh you feel very comfortable. Not for me. When I meet a "jatha" Sikh (AKJ), they hate on me cause i'm not AKJ. Taksal Singhs hate on me cause I'm not Taksali. Even worse, the AKJ singhs fight with the Taksal Singhs, who fight with the Dodra Singhs, who fight with the SGPC singhs...and so on...

Please note...I'm not here to belittle anyone or anything...I'm just trying to find out what's right and makes sense and what isn't.... :D

Also, to the admin...I only said that we question the validity of Dasam Granth cause that's what I've been taught my whole life...I have always been told by my friends, family, etc. that we are not sure about parts of it and whether it's actually Guru Gobind Singh Ji's bani...(except the banis we do every day, like Jaap Sahib)...I'm sorry if that offended you in any way...

Also, you asked where I have been learning about Sikhi...well, I've been learning about Sikhi my whole life, from camps, friends, teachers, family, messageboards, websites, reading bani and books, etc...I don't think there's one thing I can pinpoint and say I learned Sikhi from...