I want to take amrit but...

sikh_fauge

I need some advice..deep advice..please..dnt laugh at these points; instead (for sake of clarification) give ur personal views backed by bani.

Many thanks in advance; waheguru!

I want to take amrit this year but theres a few things holding me bacl:

1)i do not rise early and repeat gods name

2)im aiming for a career in music; spending time in the studio means not thinking of god..isnt this wrong?? (or do we all switch off sometimes?)..and i would be making songs of a pop nature (nothing taboo however)

3)i eat eggs (because i need the protein)

4)i wouldnt be in the habit of wearing all five ks..and wouldnt, ideally, want to go a day without them

5)i would miss paaths sometimes when im busy i.e rehraas or nitnem..which i would then feel bad about

6)i do not know gurmukhi propally..infact its quite poor in reading and writing; speakings not bad

Any views on each point?? (please straight forward answers, in bullet points if u have to)

Thank u bros and sisters!

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Dear Bro,

You have made the first step, which is to analyse what is stopping you from entering the Khalsa. Most of your points are easy to solve, if YOU want to. There is no use in anyone telling you to do this and that when you have already decided you cant take it and are making excuses (not saying you are, please correct me if Im wrong). Lets go through your problems.

No one is expecting you to get up at 2 or 3 and do hours of Simran straight off. I have days when I just dont get up until late, trust me. You have to change your lifestyle, ie. go to sleep earlier. Isnt this a small sacrifice to make? Think of what you will be gaining. The Sahibzadey's were younger than 12 and were given Amrit, so if small children can keep the Rehat, can't we at least try? Get up at 6am if you have to in the beginning, MAKE THE EFFORT! This effort will not go unrecognised, Guru Ji will take this into account, knowing his Sikh at least tried. It's better to have tried than dismissed it completely. Build it up gradually, as you get peace and Anand from doing Path, you will want to get up, and if a day goes past without you doing Nitnem, you will feel incomplete, have faith.

2)im aiming for a career in music; spending time in the studio means not thinking of god..isnt this wrong?? (or do we all switch off sometimes?)..and i would be making songs of a pop nature (nothing taboo however)

Thinking of God doesnt mean you sit in one corner with a Mala all day like an ascetic. Guru Ji said his Sikh must live and earn like a householder. Your rememberance of Vaheguru should be like this. Imagine a mother who works (housework) all day while her small child is playing nearby. She is concentrating on her work and at the same time has a constant awareness of her child's wellbeing. She has a constant remembrance of her child, this is how a Sikh should be 'AWARE' of his/her Guru.

3)i eat meat occasionally..and eat eggs (because i need the protein)

Although many Maryada's and people believe you can eat meat and stay Amritdhari, I dont. You have to make your own mind up, BASED on Gurbani. Just a few points to explain my personal decision on not eating meat. The Langar is meat free for a reason. Also, when you kill an animal, its scientifically proven that it releases toxins into its bloodstream because of fear of being killed. These have a harmful effect on your spirituality, this is why most Gurmukhs and holy saints of other religions are generally vegetarian. If your Punj (when you take Amrit) say don't eat meat, you cannot eat it, as this a Hukam of your Guru. This is no reason to not take Amrit.

4)i wouldnt be in the habit of wearing all five ks..and wouldnt, ideally, want to go a day without them

Can you clarify more about what you meant there. Sorry, didnt get it. Did you mean you can't wear them as a habit? If so, then this is again no excuse. Your Kakkar's are given to you by your Father, your Guru, after sacrificing his young sons. He have up his whole family for those symbols of love. Is it too much to ask to wear them and be recognised as a Khalsa? The torture of many GurSikhs for you to wear them with pride, does this go unnoticed?! Think about it. No excuse again. People respect you if you have a religious discipline, try it sometime.

5)i would miss paaths sometimes when im busy i.e rehraas or nitnem..which i would then feel bad about

Depends on whether you can take time out for your Guru. He has given you the life and brain to actually be 'busy'. Don't you owe him 10-20 minutes of your time?! Will you say you are busy when it's your time to die? Will you ask DharamRaj to wait until you finish your work? No! The Guru comes first, read about Shaheeds, I don't think they ever thought like this.

6)i do not know gurmukhi propally..infact its quite poor in reading and writing; speakings not bad

Any views on each point?? (please straight forward answers, in bullet points if u have to)

No problem. When I took Amrit, the Punj said to a few people who didn't know Gurmukhi, start learning and do your Path while listening to a tape, or read English translation. You must have the willpower to learn, for your Guru. You need to know what He is saying to you, otherwise what is the point? How can you hold on to something you know nothing about, to know your Guru, learn His language.

Il write more later, was in a rush, sorry for offending you and I hope you realise that taking Amrit is not a choice, it's a blessing. May Vaheguru bless you with this gift of love, sooner than later. Who knows how long you will live? Unless you can guarantee that you will live until tomorrow, I wouldn't delay it Bro.

Gurfateh

Fateh ji,

Singh ji, Its good that you are going towards the goal :D, respect to you!

"charan saran gur eaek paiddaa jaae chal

sath gur kott paiddaa aagae hoe laeth hai ||" This Shabad is by Bhai Gurdaas Ji in Vaars Bhai Gurdaas on Pannaa 37.

Sorry they dont have the english translation there, but I think it means , If you take one step towards your Guru, Guru ji takes thousands of steps towards you.

Its a start and hopefully one day you will have the blessings of guru ji and take amrit. But, the only thing I can suggest to you is that you should take it when you really really really really really want to take it, and not just cause everyone else is taking it.

4)i wouldnt be in the habit of wearing all five ks..and wouldnt, ideally, want to go a day without them ?

Take the 5 kakkars as uniform. When you start school for the first time, you have you wear a uniform. It feels odd cause its your first time, and might even feel uncomfortable. But as time progresses, you get used to it, and it becomes part of you.

It is all about love for guru ji, When you really love guru ji from the bottom of your heart, all the above weaknesses will vanish.

Just start to do the sangat of the Holy, sadh sangat. You will be amazed to see how your life will start to change.:D ( for all the points mentioned)

saadhh kai sa(n)g mukh oojal hoth ||

In the Company of the Holy, one's face becomes radiant.

saadhhasa(n)g mal sagalee khoth ||

In the Company of the Holy, all filth is removed.

saadhh kai sa(n)g mittai abhimaan ||

In the Company of the Holy, egotism is eliminated.

saadhh kai sa(n)g pragattai sugiaan ||

In the Company of the Holy, spiritual wisdom is revealed.

saadhh kai sa(n)g bujhai prabh naeraa ||

In the Company of the Holy, God is understood to be near at hand.

saadhhasa(n)g sabh hoth nibaeraa ||

In the Company of the Holy, all conflicts are settled.

saadhh kai sa(n)g paaeae naam rathan ||

In the Company of the Holy, one obtains the jewel of the Naam.

saadhh kai sa(n)g eaek oopar jathan ||

In the Company of the Holy, one's efforts are directed toward the One Lord.

saadhh kee mehimaa baranai koun praanee ||

What mortal can speak of the Glorious Praises of the Holy?

naanak saadhh kee sobhaa prabh maahi samaanee ||1||

O Nanak, the glory of the Holy people merges into God. ||1||

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?SourceID=G&PageNo=271

I hope haven't said anything wrong or anything to offend you, and if I have please forgive me as I am just a bandher!:-S

Good luck and wish you all the best bro;)

Fateh ji

• 4 weeks later...

I need some advice..deep advice..please..dnt laugh at these points; instead (for sake of clarification) give ur personal views backed by bani.

Thank u bros and sisters!

can i download some mp3s of your songs?

do u have a site?

fauge here is an article for you... yuo kno when we think about taking amrit - we always bombard our mind with things we CANNOT DO. we never actually make a lits of things that we CAN do once we take amrit. there are so many misconceptions around. bad parchaar - backward parchaar. btw namaste to y'all my first post on this site. take care and stay high hope it helps fauge.

Amritdharis’

cannot go to the movies

cannot socialize with non-Amritdhari friends

cannot eat meat

must cover their heads 24 hours a day

cannot wear jewelry

cannot be fashionable

cannot go swimming

cannot share food with others

must wear only Punjabi suits everyday

cannot listen to pop music

food must be cooked separately from other family members

cannot eat in restaurants

must be able to read and write Punjabi

cannot dance

and some more weird stuff that we don’t have the space to put here…………

That’s what they told you, right? It is my pleasure to inform you that none of the above is true. All those were old practices, unchanged for centuries, the result of ultra-orthodox interpretations and cultural influences of the Sikhs living in the Punjab. That Sikhi was good for that time. Today, Sikhi is a global religion, just like Guru Nanak wanted it to be. For years now, Amrit has constantly been modernizing to keep up with the times. Amritdharis today are just ordinary folk like you and me. They are not from another planet. They love fast food, fast cars and super bikes too !!

When Guru Gobind Singh first introduced Amrit, His instructions were so simple that they rang out like a bell. And at his first sermon, out of 80,000 people gathered to listen, 25,000 took their Amrit immediately! The only reason the others didn’t take was fear of their priestly class, the Brahmins, the Mullahs and their own family elders. Otherwise there would have been much much more.

He said only 3 things

First – an Amritdhari must wear the 5 K’s.

Second – he/she must not commit the following misconduct :

a) Cut one’s hair with intention, B) Consume intoxicants, c) Eat meat that has been slaughtered by another religion’s rites, d) Be unfaithful to your spouse.

And third, be a God-conscious person.

Amrit was so simple that Guru Gobind Singh baptized His two younger sons Zorawar Singh and Fateh Singh, who were only 4 years and 1 year old. !! (Should you meet anyone who disagrees with our approach to Amrit, please ask the individual how, do they think, a 4 year old and a 1 year old child could take Amrit) They cannot possibly know how to do any path or prayers. A one year old child does not even have enough hair on his head to keep a kangha, let alone carry a kirpan. This is complete proof of the flexibility and maturity of our Guru’s approach, as compared to the fanatical and unreasonable attitude of some Sikh groups today. They have caused so much damage to the Sikh psyche in their preaching of Amrit that even the more devout Sikhs move quietly away as soon as someone speaks about Amrit.

If we do not start preaching the real truth about Amrit, how are we going to save our religion. How are we going to interest our young to take Amrit when even Sikhs in their 50’s and 60’s, after going to Gurdwaras all their lives, serving the Guru faithfully, then still refuse, or are afraid to take Amrit for fear of committing some sin that will condemn them to Hell ! Their fear of Amrit is so extreme that they rather go to their deathbed unamritised and unbaptised, with no one to help them in the after life, than to take their Amrit and have the Guru to receive them and save them from Hell and rebirth!!

So, what is Amrit ……………?

Amrit Is A Lifestyle

God gives us life. We give it style. And there it is – lifestyle. There are many lifestyles around today. Most will lead you to ruin. Look around you. You are surrounded by conflict everywhere – in homes, marriage, work, life. This is resulting in domestic violence, divorce, broken homes and frightened children, court battles, social problems, confusion, hopelessness and suicide, just to name a few. Amrit teaches us to be a wonderful, God loving person. It saves us from the bad habits that that have brought this world to where it is today, The Guru is life. Amrit is a oasis in the desert, where you will find cool water and shade from the burning sands of kalyug.

Amrit Is a Passport

One day (we never know when), we shall leave this world. The prophets of every religion including ours, tell us that we shall go to judgment. Our Gurus promise that if we take our Amrit, it becomes His responsibility, and He will personally be there n the other side, to receive us and take us to Sachkhand (heaven). Sachkhand, or Gurpuri, is a realm, a place where those who are blessed, go after death.

Some people say that ‘as long as I am a good person and pray to God, I’m sure everything will be alright’. On this matter, I shall not speak. I should not talk about things I do not know. But what I do know is that I can be the best citizen in my country. I obey all the rules and have done great and wonderful things for my country. I may even have many testimonials to prove it but on the day I decide to migrate to the U.S. or anywhere, I will have to produce my passport at New York airport. If I do not carry one, I will be put on the on the next flight out of the U.S. and made to pay for it too. They will not allow me to enter even if I showed them all the fantastic testimonials and medals that I won while I was loyally serving my country. I will need a passport. I can land anywhere in the world. Without a passport, I will be turned back. But as long as I have a passport, someone will have to attend to me. Amrit is that passport !

Amrit Is Freedom

Freedom is something we feel when we feel totally safe and secure. Have you seen a child at a park playing happily, skipping around without a care in the world, when the parents are nearby. That’s the feeling. Amrit is freedom because you will have the Guru, your guardian angel watching over you all the time. And when tough times come, the Guru will shine like a lighthouse to show you the way.

Amrit Is Salvation

When we are born, we come from God. We are spiritual beings on a human journey , sent here to rejoice and spread the word of God’s greatness. One day we must leave this life, this world. Salvation means going back to God after having achieved that goal; going back to the Guru or Gurpuri – the city of our Guru.

Salvation comes to those who listen to the message of their prophet and become higher beings by practicing the wonderful teachings, which also bring us respect in society. If you take Amrit and keep improving as a good human being, the Guru shall save you. He will guarantee your salvation. And you know what – the best part is – your prayers will save your family and many others too.

So, here we are. Now you know, that Amrit was never about borders and limitations, can’t do this and can’t do that; it was never about whether a girl can wear jeans or whether a boy can wear a turban scarf with tails! It was never about whether you can eat chicken, or vegetarian pizza only.

Amrit is about becoming a greater person than what you are now, a person of higher consciousness, higher thinking and higher living. Amrit is about a lifestyle, a choice to live life to its fullest, while observing all the things that good people all over the world value – honesty, discipline, charity, humility and worship. Never hurt anyone. Be sensitive to the feelings of others. Always help those who need it. Never look down on anyone, (even who you perceive as the lowest sinner). And pray for everyone – sarbatt dha bhalla.

Amrit is about becoming a “Lighted Candle†so that you can light the candles of others who need this light in their lives. Amrit is about becoming a “blanket of God†( raam rezaii ), so you can offer warmth to those who are ‘out in the cold dark night of spiritual loneliness’. There is no one they can go to when their heart is troubled. Amrit is about becoming a higher being, one who is here in this world but lives high above it, and cannot be touched by any of its impurities.

As part of our celebrations for the 400th anniversary of the ‘Pahela Parkaash of Guru Granth Sahib’ to be celebrated by us on the 31 Aug 2004, we invite you to join ‘The March of The 1000 Khalsa’. We are inviting 1000 Sikhs to take their Amrit baptism together, all at once, on that historical day. I am inviting you too. This would be the greatest opportunity in your lifetime. An event of this nature has never ever been held anywhere, outside of India.

Take some time out to think about it. It will secure your life and the life of your loved ones. It will bring balance into you life. Your children will grow up confident and upright. The reason we have all been born is to rise higher on the spiritual scale, from being ordinary men (maanas) to transform into angels (deveteh). If we do not go up this scale, we shall go down in our next life.

Please contact us if you have any questions or for details of this event. Please be there, and you will see for yourself that Amrit was never ever about those silly little things all those people had been telling you all this time. It was always about something much more special.

In Celebration of 400 years – The March of 1000 Khalsa, 31 Aug ‘04

Other Flyers in this series:

What are we celebrating

Magic Minute

Navee Zindagee, Navaa Jeevan

Blessing your Home with Guru Granth Sahib

Your Children and their Baptism

Empower Yourself – are you a problem or a solution

Why We are Doing What We are Doing

The Challenge

thank you pravva. it just really amazes me how people are so afraid of amrit!!! i always hear 'i will take amrit once im a better person and am PERFECT' ....we will NEVER be perfect!!!!! in fact we take amrit BECAUSE we are NOT perfect!!! i think its time we started to change peoples mentalities and perceptions about amrit. its amazing.

The only reason the others didn’t take was fear of their priestly class, the Brahmins, the Mullahs and their own family elders.

I'm glad to see your post A.S kang and it was nice to read straight forward post which was to the point and shows real truth. But I would like to add this here that it was not about priestly class only but others high caste Hindus denied to become Khalsa as well. Most of the Khatris, Rajput denied to become Khalsa but not all and same goes for priestly class as well.

High Caste Hindus were ready to become Khalsa, if they would have given Amrit only because they didn’t want to stand in the same row in which low caste Hindus were going to merge under Khalsa panth. I think they were concerned about their social status, which was about to abolish by entering in Khalsa Panth.

sikh fauge

1. Dont worry, it will come sooner or later. This shouldnt stop u from taking amrit.

2. mediating on Waheguru 24/7 is VERY difficult. just TRY what u can, the rest will happen.

3. Dont worry, keep eating them if you like - its a minor issue.

4. 5 ks ARE necessary - its the uniform you adapt (anyway what kind of fauge are you if u dont keep your shaster??). You can adopt smaller versions if you like, but the only time they should be removed is for good reasons.

5. Paath MUST always be maintained. If you cannot, then dont take amrit. HOWEVER, if you miss one morning, then no problem, do double your morning paath the next day - MAKE up your quota!

If you dont have a guthka, then you can do simran instead for that duration.

6. Dont worry, make sure you learn after. You can still listen to nitnem.

Good Luck.

Why don't you get up early in the morning? You will say it is your habit. A habit can easily be changed, if determined to.

I usually do not sleep in night. All the night I do read/write etc. But, I remember that when I joined the 'Gurmat Vidyala' near Sri Anandpur Sahib, I felt no difficulty in getting up early in the morning. Actually, if you want to get up early, just sleep early in night. It is so simple. You can use alarm clock. It is so easy to get up early, brother.

"Mere Mohan Sravanee Eh Na Sunaaye. Saakat Geet Naad Dhun Gaavat Bolat Bol Ajaaye". (My fascinating God, let me not listen to such things. The singing of faithless people's songs and tunes are useless. (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, page 820).

I know some artists personally, who are 'Amritdhaaree'. I remained a music student in 'Praacheen Kalaa Kendra' (Chandigarh) for four years. (Ustaad Sri O. P. Gupta Jee, the head of the music department, was my teacher). Obeying my teacher, I accompanied various famous artists like Pandit Raajan Mishra-Saajan Mishra etc on 'Taanpura'. I had interest in 'Ghazal-singing' (Sri Gupta ji sings 'Gazals' amazingly). I used to sing 'Gazals'. (I composed some original tunes too). I got an offer for 'Gazal album'. Then, I realized that it is not my field. I realized that I should not sing 'Saakat Geet'. So, I stopped to sing such songs/gazals.

When you will start the 'inner' journey, you will realize that 'Saakat Geet' keep us far away from the 'Truth'.

Even prostitute makes money. Making money is not a big problem for a 'talented' person. When we sing songs about wine etc and make money from it, how can we think to be real religious? Listen present 'paap' songs/music in Punjabi. They are spreading just 'paap' (sin). Are you going to be a part of this culture?

Well, I am not asking you to leave the idea of 'Pop' music. Instead, I want to say that just go for 'Amrit' and see what is going to be happened. Even after taking 'Amrit', I continued to sing 'Gazals' and write 'poetry' (Three books of my Punjabi poetry are published so far). But, then I realized that this 'poetry' is meaningless. The 'Vismaad' of martyrdom of Shaheed Bhaayee Matee Daas Jee changed my views. (Aareya Ve Aareya! Challee Chal Piyaareya. Ishq Mere Noo Ajj Kise Ne Vangaareya). Now, I cannot glorify eyes of any girl in my poems.

Best of luck for your carrier in music.

I do not know whether there is any description of eggs in our old Rahatnamas, though eating meat is NOT the 'Bajar-Kurahat' (big sin) according to old 'Rahanaamaas' and the 'Sikh Rahat Maryaada'. On the other hand, being a vegetarian is good for our body and mind.

You will be in habit of wearing the five 'Kakaars', if you wear them for a month. After a few months, you will not feel easy WITHOUT the 'Kakaars'.

Many shopkeepers miss the 'Paathh' of Sri Rahraas Sahib. They do it in evening.

It takes ONLY 15 DAYS to learn the 'Gurmukhee' script. It is so easy, my brother. Any 'seva' for me in this regard? I am always ready to. I have been working on online Punjabi/Gurmukhee learning course.

GO FOR IT, someone said this once, you can go to school,college etc sit the exams etc but if your not registered teachers can't mark your work, because they won't know who the student is in the same way, life is short SIKHI is about LOVE not just fake rituals of this/that etc everyone has differents rehits etc, its the battle of the mind.

You'll be fine

• 2 months later...

[highlight=red:4bfb136196]Its okay, Its alright. No problem. you will repeat God's name when God wants , not when you want[/highlight:4bfb136196]

)i eat eggs (because i need the protein)

[highlight=red:4bfb136196]Okay eat eggs, but dont stop eating eggs just because you dont want to stop.[/highlight:4bfb136196]

[highlight=red:4bfb136196]okay no problem[/highlight:4bfb136196]

[highlight=red:4bfb136196]yes sure you will .. but u will only do patths when God wants u to do them[/highlight:4bfb136196]

[highlight=red:4bfb136196]No problem, God is not bound by language[/highlight:4bfb136196]

Thank u bros and

[highlight=red:4bfb136196]okay welcome[/highlight:4bfb136196]

[glow=red:4bfb136196]Your problem is your "forcing/making" yourself do things but in reality it is suppose to happen by the will of God and then at that time even if u dont want to repeat God's name u will be made to repeat it.[/glow:4bfb136196]