Ik Omkar or Ik Onkar?

Ik Omkar or Ik Onkar?  

6 members have voted

1. 1.

• Ik Onkar
    • Ik Omkar

hmmm the 'OORa' with the open top gives off the sound of Ooo, as for it making the OaN or OM or OaN(G), i guess it could be left up to the interpetor, the sound is basicaly the same. But i guess you can create two different sounds Om-kar, Oan-kar. Tis all the same to me just different vairations. of OM. ie: 'Ameen', 'Amen' is from teh same sound as OM, so is Om-nipotent, Om-nipresent. just varied.

So you can see how this sound of OM is present in all Major Religions just a bit varied.

Admin, the link you provided is a good resource, I've been listening to this myself after I was given some Gyani Thakur Singh CDs by my girlfriend prior to my Amrit Sanchar and have found him to be a great source on Nitnem Katha/Veechar, notwithstanding his military-style drilling in the good old Doabi accent!

"Ek-O-Ang-Kaar" is certainly more accurate than ek "OM" kar, which is blantantly incorrect, there is a big difference between the OM and Oang, as elucidated in this katha.

Gur Fateh!

wjkk wjkf

Gurmukhi is precise and not like english where one word can have multiple meanings( personal opinion and according to what I have understood from listening to others, but could be wrong). The correct way that I been taught to pronounce it is IK O-AN'G'- Kar. The G is silent and its like you speaking trough the nose. Hope that helps.

wjkk wjkf

This is about transliteration and not wether Omkar means the same as Oankar.They are both different transliterations of the same Divine Name.

The word Omkar/Oankar existed well befroe Satguru Nanak Nirankar manifested on this plane.

In Devnagari script (used for Hindi and Sanskrit) you have a nasal sound called anusvara or chandrabindu which is transliterated as "m".This is what appears at the end of Om ---> A-U-M.When you couple Om with kaar, you pronounce the "m" as a nasal "n".Hence you get Oankar.

Omkar is not pronounced "Omkar" but Oankar.

Om appears in Gurbani as ura-aira-tippee, also the Akshar Onam which appears in Dakhni Oankar is supposed to be synonymous with Om/Oan.

Om is known as Mool Mantra, as is Ek Oankar.

Hari Om Shanti Shanti Shanti...