5 Shastars Mentioned in Dasam guroo ki Bani????

SAadmin

I have recalled there are 5 shastars mentioned in dasam bani which guroo maharaj told his ladlee fauz(nihangs) to carry all the time.

If someone can assist me what exactly are 5 shastars??

I remember was one- Kaatuar... correct me please if i m wrong??

Thanks in advance..

akaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal hiiiiiiiiiii akaaaaaaaaaaaaaal

anand hiiiiiiiiiiiiii anand :D

Guest Sardar Moderator Singh

Neo, the 5 Shastars in the classical sense were,

-Kirpan,

-Dhaal(shield),

-Bow & arrows,

-Spear, and

-Kara(along with quoit and chain mail if available as protective weapons).

The bow and arrows were later replaced by matchlock and of course, the kirpan was essential for everybody.

In the Hukamnama Guru ji states,"Panj Shastar Banh ke Awna". (Come with five weapons doned on your person).

Of course we know the present Kirpan is a verson replaced by external dictation and circumstances.

Neo, the 5 Shastars in the classical sense were,

-Kirpan,

-Dhaal(shield),

-Bow & arrows,

-Spear, and

-Kara(along with quoit and chain mail if available as protective weapons).

The bow and arrows were later replaced by matchlock and of course, the kirpan was essential for everybody.

In the Hukamnama Guru ji states,"Panj Shastar Banh ke Awna". (Come with five weapons doned on your person).

Of course we know the present Kirpan is a verson replaced by external dictation and circumstances.

so we have to wear all of these or what. even most nihangs dont all have those on them.

vjkkvjkf

Guest Javanmard

Panj shastar in Nihang maryada refers to the five shastars you wear in your bunga dastar intertwined with your kesh. It is mentioned in the shastarnam mala as far as I remember. The shastars are khanda, arrow, kirpan, chakar and an inverted form of the kirpan whose name I can't remember (HELP!!!)

Guest Sardar Moderator Singh

The shabd you refer to, Sukh Singh, refers to the 5 shasters, there's a recording of Bhai Balbir Singh singing Tuhi Nishaani Jeet Kee (from the ShasternaamMala) in which he also sings of these shasters and also incorporates some verses from my favourite Sri Bhagautee Astother.

As per Lalleshvari's note, these are worn within one's boonga ensuring 24 hour Shaster Namaskaran...at the same time, in a literal sense, these weapons make sense from a combat perspective as they cover all ranges from melee to long distance and everything in between...hence, the 125,000 strong Singh is equiped as a singular fighting force...

... as "teroo tanfungo" these are lethal arrows, which consist of 3 heads which one having pierced the body, if pulled out also tear with them the insides...Bhai Balbir Singh gives a good account of all these weapons and their uses in the vichaar accompanying his kirtan (it's available on Sikhnet).

Guest Javanmard

Sri Bhagauti Astotar is not in Dasam Guru Granth Sahib and belongs to Nihang oral tradition. It can be found though in Giani Gian Singh's Panth Prakash and of course in any Budha Dal gutka.

• 19 years later...