Guru Nanak Dev Ji onces worn a Hat?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maha_Pavitar

Just looking through all my books and found this English translation of Japji Sahib, on the cover it shows a painting Guroo Nanak Dev Jeeio with Bhai Mardana, and Guroo Jee is wearing 'topi', red tilak, as the websites show, I'll upload the image later today..'Cover painting from B-40 Janamsakhi Guru Baba Nanak Paintings (Plate 31)'.

Guest Javanmard

Sehjo Kaur wrote:

Well aren't the JanamSakhis dodgy anyway, and a Red Tilak? That's weird, they refused to wear a Janeyoo, but wore a Tilak instead?

Hmmm interesting, so according to you we should not trust Sikh literature written at the time when SIkhs ruled but only the writings that appeared during the British Raj and the SIngh Sabha?

Guest Javanmard

tableji: don't quote Gurbani out of context!

Regarding Noor: as a Sikh you should always foresee situations like that. That's why you should always have a spare kakkar with you when you travel etc... forebearance is the mother of wisdom!

• 1 month later...

OO MY GOD .... WHERE ARE WE SIKHS GOING

FIRST OF ALL LET ME CLEAR MY POINT THAT GURU DOES'NT MEAN A PIC, INFACT CALLING SOME PIC A GURU IS A INSULT OF THAT ALL MIGHTY. "BANI GURU GURU HAI BANI!! VICH BANI AMRIT SARAY!!" THIS MEANS GURU'S BANI IS GURU NOT HIS PIC.

SECONDLY, HENCE GURU NANAK DEV JI NEVER WORN A CAP & JINYUEE, BUT STILL LET ME PLACE AN EXAPLME, IF WE GOT A POT MADE UP OF SOIL... WHAT WE CALL IT "A POT" OR "SOIL", I AM REALLY NOT CONCERN OF THAT GURU NANAK DEV JI WORN A CAP OR NOT IN HIS LIFE, WHAT I AM COCERNED IS THAT GURU GOBIND SINGH JI ORDERED EVERY SIKH TO WEAR A TURBAN. HE ORDERED IT SO NO ARGUMENTS LEFT IN THAT

FOR ME MY GURU IS BANI (HIS TECHINGS) & GURU GRANTH SAHIB CONTAINS THAT BANI.

OK WHAT IF I MADE SOME WEBSITE & PLACE A PIC OF GURU NANAK DEV CLEAN SHAVED & WRITE SOME STORIES WITH THAT, WILL YOU GUYS BELIVE THAT PIC ?

MY DEAR FRIEND TRY TO LIVE IN UR PRESENT WHICH IS GURU GRANTH SAHIB JI & DISIPLINE OF SRI AKAL TAKHT SAHIB

Guest Maha_Pavitar

Dear Veerji, I'm sorry but this is not information based on 'pictures'--these are Janamsakhis, there are other historical records. It is not a cap/hat as the modern definition would imply, it looks distincly like a large dastaar..I think this is the problem of Sikhi these days, we are not prepared to read and jump to silly conclusions..

Bhul chuk maaf..

dear phanji .... i guess u need to read my points again ..... "I AM REALLY NOT CONCERN OF THAT GURU NANAK DEV JI WORN A CAP OR NOT IN HIS LIFE, WHAT I AM COCERNED IS THAT GURU GOBIND SINGH JI ORDERED EVERY SIKH TO WEAR A TURBAN. HE ORDERED IT SO NO ARGUMENTS LEFT IN THAT "

kawal... some people are interested in the lives of the gurus. just because u are not interested in the life of guru nanak, it doesn't mean that other people are not... & if u read through the thread, it is not about whether we should wear hats now, but if guru nanak dev ji did.

please be more considerate of other peoples interests & read the thread carefully first.

guv, do read my comments again "i said I AM NOT REALLY CONCERN" i am stateing my point very individually & what i am trying to say is we should talk abt the bani of guru, which is real guru.

already we have confused the society & ourselfs by creating pictures of gurus, some ppl call guru nanak GOD, some ppl show mala in their hands, some ppl say he did'nt left his body behind, when he died & babaji says "swas swas simroo gobind !!" that u don't need a mala for simran.

comeon my dear friends...... try to understand the guru ...... guru is a logic, a logic of life, a dicipline, a path to get a god, he is really nothing more then that. so we SHOULD (I HAVE'NT WROTE MUST HERE) TALK ABT THE LOGICS OF GURU (VICHARDHARA) INSTEAD OF THAT HE WORN A CAP OR NOT.

WHAT WILL WE FOUND OUT OF THAT, IF I MAKE ONE WEBSITE & PLACE A PIC OF GURU NANAK CLEAN SHAVED WITH PROPER STORY, FACTS ETC ETC ........ WILL YOU GUYS BELIVE ON THAT

just think why guru gobind singh ji did'nt added any histroy of gurus/sants in G granth sahib ji, coz its really not required, it might confuse our path

Guest Maha_Pavitar

not required..might confuse our panth?? Sikhs are not stupid jeeio, they're meant to be 'seekers of truth', why else did our Guroo jee's encourage us to study other languages and cultures?

This close-minded attitude is what is confusing the panth..confusing our Sikhi path..if we don't know our past, our heritage we are setting ourself up for extinction..

dear phanji ..... "just think why guru gobind singh ji did'nt added any histroy of gurus/sants in Guru granth sahib ji, coz its really not required, it might confuse our path" let me put an example to make it very clear ...... suppose u study in some school, its good that u know when ur school build up, how many years it took etc etc ....... is it is really required to know that one MIGHT worn a cap while building your school or not ....... never forget guru granth sahib ji is bani of 35 ppls not a single one.

by the above line in inverted commas, i am trying to say that you won't find any history of gurus in guru granth sahib ji ..... & as we all know that guru granth sahib ji was ASSAMBLEB (i have'nt wrote written here) by guru gobind singh ji...... he might have added history's of gurus in guru granth sahib ji ..... but he did'nt ....... TRY TO GET THE MSG OF GURU GOBIND SINGH JI

language is a medium of communication ...... as many languages u know it will be easy to communicate with other ppl & it will be easy to spread the msg of guru granth sahib ji.

"murakh sach na janyea mannmukhi janam gavaya !! vich duniya kahay aaya!!" babaji says ppl are stupid who listen to there heart(mann) but the one who follows his/her guru called gursikh (a student of a teacher)

no doubt sikh means a seeker of truth ..... but the socity we are living has confused us so much by mixing us with hindus ....... (today sikh woman do varts, sikhs worship pics, lighting jot, cutting hairs etc etc many more are there) we need to know the logic (vichardhara) of sikhism & thats why we are here

try to understand the deapth & logic of sikhism (any new readed reading my comments PLS PLS PLS read my above comments also)

fateh

Singh, you say 'try to understand the depth and logic of sikhism'

Rather ambigious, what exactly do you mean ?

1. Understanding - through learning the languages and deep contemplation

2. Understanding thorugh historical sources - from which you can analyse the actions of Sikhs(which Kawal, can help you improve your sikhi - hence one of the reasons why we has stories with morals).

3. Understanding through bhagkti ?

4. Understanding through living, making mistakes and learning?

What type of 'deep' understanding are you referring to?

If your referring to SGPC type understanding - then im afraid the term 'deep' is somewhat used in a loose sense, the institution has come around only recently( ie it was not around at the times of the Human Gurus), if you want to understand the depth of sikhi then you may want to look at the orders which were institutionalised by Guru Gobind Singh ji, please read the threads in the Sikh Samparadaya section.

Gurfateh

Harpreet

the institution has come around only recently( ie it was not around at the times of the Human Gurus),

my dear friend harpreet, an institution i am talking is sri akal thkat sahib. from the time of guru har gobind sahib ji (6th guru) babaji use to give orders from there only. through their wazirs & that practise is still happening. even the order of takeing guru granth sahib ji as our 11th guru was delivered by there only.

secondly you asked me to explain the term deep i used in my above msg. by deep i mean understand the logic of sikhism & for those logic u need to read the sikh rehyat maryada published by sri akal thkat sahib & bani of sri guru granth sahib ji.

gur fateh

The order given from Akal Tahkt in Guru Ji's time NOT the same INSTITUTION as the SGPC.

Just because the location is the same, does not mean the institution is the same.

In relation you perception of 'deep', i wonder what people did prior to the SGPC Sikh Rehit Maryada to contemplate the 'deeper' meanings of Sikhi?

Gurfateh

Harpreet

PS Sikh_fauge - point taken, apologies to forum, sorry.

my dear friend i think you have took sgpc & sri akal thakt sahib the same thing. SGPC is a non-tradeing firm (non-profitable) which is provideing necessary help to gurdwaras & to sikhism (like opening schools, provideing sewadars & granthi singhs, publishing of guru granth sahib ji & guthkas, supporting financial/material help to financially weak gurdwaras etc etc)

akal thakt sahib is the same institution carrying on from the time of guru har gobind sahib ji (6th guru) as i mentioned in my above & now as we don't have any human guru, so the panj pyarays & granthi (of all the five thakts) take decission for the goodness of sikhism & that decission is must for every sikh to follow as per order by 6th guru.

gurfateh

Kawal brother, here's some links for you

http://www.sikhawareness.com/sikhawareness...sri+akaal+thakt

If you want to dicuss further, i think you should open a fresh thread as i think me and you have gone off on a tangent(ie, the original name of the thread concerned Maharaj Ji wearing a hat)

From you above posts i would you think about;

1. Has the institution been the same since the 6th Guru - what is 'same'?

2. Who is the current Jathedar of the Sikhs?

3. Read above threads they might broaden your horizons.

Gurfateh

Harpreet

• 1 year later...

Guru Nanak Sahib wore a Seely Topi Always.

NOT until Post-British Raj did people begin to depict Baba Nanak with a 'keski' or 'dastaar'. The daastar became an udasi tradition post Akali Guru Hargobind when he introduced not one but domall. aka. Domalla.

Changing history is no good.

www.sarbloh.info knows.