Kesh (hair)!!!!

The keeping of uncut hair is given a great deal of importance in Sikhism. But what is so special about hair?

Historical significance:

Well the history of hair goes back to the Bible. The Bible talks of a man called Sampson who obtained supernatural powers through his long hair. His hair was later cut and consequently he lost his powers. It is also a fact that most of the world’s prophets and saints including Jesus, the Sikh Gurus and Hindu prophets kept uncut hair.

Meaning:

G. A. Gaskell writes, ‘Hair of the head is a symbol of faith, intuition of truth, or the highest qualities of the mind.’ - Dictionary of all Scriptures

Sikhs believe God to be a perfect creator. It therefore follows that whatever He creates is perfect. The keeping of uncut hair is therefore, recognition of God’s perfection and the submission of a Sikh to the Will of God.

Function:

Most Sikhs regard hair as a gift from God. But what does this gift actually do for us? Well the functions of hair can be divided into 5 sub categories. These include an ornamental function, physical function, psychological function, Sikh specific function and a spiritual function.

Ornamental function:

Nature has decorated a man with a beard and a moustache to differentiate between a male and a female. A good example from the animal kingdom is a lion with its majestic mane.

Physical function:

Just like the skin, the hair helps to synthesize vitamin D from sunlight. It also helps to supply the piturary gland (located in the head) with phosphorous. Phosphorous is an element which is used in meditation by the aforesaid gland.

The hair on our body regulates body temperature and our eye lashes, nostril hairs and ear hairs help to keep out dust particles

Psychological function:

This is by far, one of the most important functions of hair. People cut their hair to look good for other people, and although everyone wants to look sexy and cool, a Sikh is encouraged to impress God and not bother so much about the opinions of everyone else. Keeping hair therefore encourages us to become less vain and more God orientated.

Sikh specific function:

Uncut hair is a mark of Sikh identity. The 10th Sikh Guru instructed all his Sikhs to come before him with long hair and weapons. Long hair also represents sacrifice, because there have been many Sikhs like Bhai Taru Singh, who preferred to have their scalp removed instead of their hair cut.

Spiritual function:

Hair enhances the ability of a human being to experience God. This can be explained by understanding the workings of electromagnets. An electromagnet consists of an iron rod with a coil of wire wrapped around it. The strength of an electromagnet can be increased by increasing the number of coils. Now in a human being, there are nine visible inlets/outlets (2 nostrils, 2 ear holes, 1 mouth, 2 eyes, 2 below the waistline). And the 10th inlet is located in the head and is invisible. It is called the Dasam Dawar. This is where we experience the reality of God and we can consider this to be the iron rod. Hairs are like coils of wire which amplify spiritual energy at the 10th inlet. A greater quantity of head hair will lead to more coils in the (Joora) knot and therefore a higher concentration of spiritual energy. Of course, it is possible to experience God without any head hair like Buddhists. However anything that helps us to experience God more easily should be welcomed. Hair is essentially a spiritual technology that makes it easier to connect with God

Conclusion to wearing all the 5 K's:

(Kesh (unshorn hair), Kanga (wooden comb), Kachhera (shorts), Kara (Iron bangle) & Kirpaan (sword))

Wearing 5K’s does not automatically make a good Sikh and in addition to this, wearing the 5 K’s without understanding their purpose is silly. The 5 K’s are not meaningless symbols, but instead are items which aid us in living a life revolving around God and submission to His Will.

Very gud post thanx but dnt agree wid this part:

Physical function:

Just like the skin, the hair helps to synthesize vitamin D from sunlight. It also helps to supply the piturary gland (located in the head) with phosphorous. Phosphorous is an element which is used in meditation by the aforesaid gland.

Cause a Singh always wheres his crown, (Dastaar) so the sun cant penetrate his dastaar, so no vitamin D.

But the Hair acts as a natural anchor for the dastar, if u neva had long hair, ur dastaar wud jus slip off ur head.

I feel really bad about cutting my hair - especially when I read things like above, giving all the reasons why we shouldn't cut it. But there are still times when I really want to cut my hair. I have a lot of sikh friends and cousins who cut their hair and they see nothing wrong with it and that makes me think - they can't all be bad for cutting their hair can they? On the other hand though, the thought of having a pair of scissors anywhere near my hair doesn't feel right and then it feels right to keep my hair uncut. Also, I read things that say that you're not a true sikh if you cut your hair and I want to be moving towards Sikhi, not away from it...

I know this must sound a bit confusing and maybe even a bit trivial but at the moment, it's something I think about quite abit and I'd like to get some advice/opinions etc on the matter

Thanx

whats the point fighting with nature.. no matter how hard you try to cut/shave ur hairs off.. it grows back... thats a logical answer..

now spirtualy in sikhi..why kesh are important?? its because when you do meditation.. there is a stage where all your hairs along with ur organs say vaheguroo naam nothing else.. anand hi anand.. this is where you get piece of mind...

lets look at other relegion's porphets... jesus, mohmad, hindu god-godess and budda.. never cut their hair.. thats for the reason .. because in old times hair supposed to sacred while you were doing meditation...

the reason we give really importance to kesh its because our relegion completely based on meditation on vaheguroo's naam ..any amrit-dhari you can ask him/her...why they took it?? and whats their aim??? answer would be same... they want their aatma(soul) to do milaap with paraatma(vaheguroo).. check the spirtuality section for more info... check all the threads very very carefully.. everything is there... enjoy the path of learning :D

• 4 weeks later...

maybe its like dis...

Even if u neva don Paaht b4 in ur life yeah or neva been Gudwara rite...

well the reson 4 keeping ur hair den is dat in your past life - u musta done nuff Paaht in ya last lives to have grown hair!!!

Think of it as your Paaht in this life (if any) and all the paaht in your last lives has come in as a sign of long hair...

Cutting it wud mean loosing your Paaht!!!! If done any in this life and in all your last lives!!!

Thats wot grown up wid!!!!

the same case is wid me ruby. i don't wanna cut my hair but then i also want to cut it. all my sikh friends cut it. :oops: and they tell me my hair is too long even if its above my waist. and then if i don't trim it i get split ends which are unhealthy :cry: and i really wanna be a true Sikh

the same case is wid me ruby. i don't wanna cut my hair but then i also want to cut it. all my sikh friends cut it. :oops: and they tell me my hair is too long even if its above my waist. and then if i don't trim it i get split ends which are unhealthy :cry: and i really wanna be a true Sikh

if u look after ur hair u will not get split ends - wash it regularly with a conditioner

correct me if im wrong but ur a kaur right?.... if so u should tie ur hair in a bun and not let it down.. as u say u wanna be a true sikh - dont listen to what ur friends think about ur hair being long - its a great gift :D

Oil ur hair b4 u wash it - properly rub it in yeah- and they will soon stop. Remember it wont happen overnight but it will soon work so dats 1 solution.

and

be honest to yourself - y r u cutting it?

I was iven sum gr8 advice... just follow the path of GuruJi as much as u can yeah and will follow. ANd trust me it will. In time i garuntee u wont even want to...

BUT... just follow the path in EVERY WAY U CAN...!!!!!!! The rest will happen. DOnt think i cant do this or i cant do that.... just do wot u can and get on with it!!!!

If u want to follow the path as much as u say u do.... u will follow this path truley and these things will become minor.

They say that the path is sharper than a sword and thinner than 1 strand of hair!!!!

Just stay on this path and be on it STRONG - and the rest will come. :D

oh yeah i use conditioner as well but the way my friends keep telling me that not cutting hair is unhealthy :roll: oil?? my mom's always forcing me to put oil b4 shower. she says it will be nicer(the hair)and more beautiful and i will see the difference after shower and blah blah blah. and steel bangle paji why bun why not braid?isn't that okay?but yeah i'll really try NOT cutting my hair . i mean i'll Have to do it.

Phul chuk maf karna :(

i dont have split ends (im a boy).

comb your hair twice a day.

wear a keski.

use oil and wash your hair thoroughly and w/ conditioner or whatever.

people just need to chill about split ends or whatever......i mean u shudnt be able to see htem anyway in a bun or keski......

when you die, your hair wont go with you. but your soul, and a list of your actions and the meanings behind them will.

you might worry about how many boys or girls u can pull now, but by western standards we will all be butters (ugly) in 20 years time anyway LOL!