how to learn punjabi

gursj

Whats the big deal about learning Punjabi ? I too wanted to learn once upon a time and did learn ... but is it going to be of any spiritual benefit ?

I dont think so ! Coz whats gonna matter is God's Grace and there are so many uneducated ppl out there, who dont know punjabi or anything and yet they are still one with God.

It is not a matter of punjabi, learning punjabi isnt the goal and is not going to mould your heart.

If you have true love for God, then u will know the entire SGGS without even reading it or learning punjabi. It is a matter of God's Grace.

In USA and Canada I see so many ppl spending so much effort trying to be Gursikh by learning Tabla, Harmonium , Punjabi... but thats not the goal. On the otherside of the world there are ppl who dont know any of these things and yet are in peace and one with God.

A Halwai (Sweet maker) makes only sweets but is not amused by the taste of the sweets. Similarly a raagi sings kirtan but is not amused by the sweetnes of the Kirtan. Only the listenner is able to enjoy the kirtan.

do you guyz remember being forced to go to saturday school punjabi school??? didn't u refuse and cry not to go back in the day?!!! I KNOW i used to complain so much that i don't want to go!!!!!!!!! the aunties were so mean sometimes... well i kept it up until this year.. i stopped it because the teacher was BEYOND ANNOUYING and i could not cope with her! i know how to write, read punjabi, but the sad thing is i can't speak it that well! but i know enuff to get a long i think! my parents never spoke punjabi with me that much b/c they thought i wud not be good at english like they did! i wish they didn't do that! but i think i know a lot now b/c i wanted to learn! now if only they made punjabi school and the teachers so much better when i was a kid i wud be a master at it!! lol im just happy i don't have to go to that punjabi school teacher ever again! SHE WAS SO BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!! ok i might go back to punjabi school ....somewhere in the future just to learn more, but not with her! lol i did u guyz used to learn bhangra/ giddha in punjabi school too??! it was so annouying but when i look back it was kinda fun in a annouying way, i got to meet so many punjabi/sikh friends!!! i went to a mainly white school all my life and still am today! lol so its good to get to know peepz!!

--k have fun learning punjabi!!!

--one

keep on smiling :)

Whats the big deal about learning Punjabi ? I too wanted to learn once upon a time and did learn ... but is it going to be of any spiritual benefit ?

I dont think so ! Coz whats gonna matter is God's Grace and there are so many uneducated ppl out there, who dont know punjabi or anything and yet they are still one with God.

It is not a matter of punjabi, learning punjabi isnt the goal and is not going to mould your heart.

If you have true love for God, then u will know the entire SGGS without even reading it or learning punjabi. It is a matter of God's Grace.

In USA and Canada I see so many ppl spending so much effort trying to be Gursikh by learning Tabla, Harmonium , Punjabi... but thats not the goal. On the otherside of the world there are ppl who dont know any of these things and yet are in peace and one with God.

A Halwai (Sweet maker) makes only sweets but is not amused by the taste of the sweets. Similarly a raagi sings kirtan but is not amused by the sweetnes of the Kirtan. Only the listenner is able to enjoy the kirtan.

Didn't you say in the topic where Summet Kaur thanks Khalsa for posting hukamanama every day to not make our own translations, that we should know the language and gain the spirituality to really understand it ourself? that kinda contradicts what you said here

Didn't you say in the topic where Summet Kaur thanks Khalsa for posting hukamanama every day to not make our own translations, that we should know the language and gain the spirituality to really understand it ourself? that kinda contradicts what you said here

What is "Language" and Understanding? You are not going to get anything by understanding languaging or trying to intellectually discuss what is written in the SGGS, becoz it is beyond human understanding. Only brahmgyanis can know through real actual experience.

Baba Nand Singh Sahib never read the SGGS, my guess is that he was also illeterate but he knew the entire SGGS by heart without reading from it.

Another Gursikh I know, can automatically tell the hukamnama issued from Golden Temple and can also tell which shabad is being played simply by his surtee.

Baba Nand Singh Sahib never read the SGGS, my guess is that he was also illeterate but he knew the entire SGGS by heart without reading from it.

Another Gursikh I know, can automatically tell the hukamnama issued from Golden Temple and can also tell which shabad is being played simply by his surtee.

understood... but Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindrawalle read SGGS...

Baba Harnaam Singh read SGGS

i may be wrong, but i think it states in Baba Harnaam Singh's biography that when he started getting saathiya and learning punjabi better and better, he got alot further with baani..

99% of us are not gonna be brahmgiyaanis... letès face it.. so youère saying that itès useless in making ANY sort of conclusion with baani?? If only brahmgiyaani's can interpret baani, that's like saying Sikhi's hard.... Sikhi's easy man.. it's so easy... we complain but it's so easy.. do you really think guruji made a religion that was difficult for his people????

okay then u copy Baba Nand Singh Sahib and do the samething :) and those links have no actual athuneticity and Baba Nand Singh Sahib never had refuge in anyone bsides SGGS or considered anyone else besides SGGS as Guru heh :)

and you are NOT Baba Nand Singh Sahib, His story is different from yours. Copying him and doing the samething becoz it worked for him isnt gona work for you.

It is God who makes you do what is right for you.

Plus.. no, Baba Nand Singh Sahib never read from SGGS , but he knew all of it from heart !

I dont rely on Sikh historians and gyanis for info.

hanji veerji.. jjj, you jus said, don't make your story the same as Baba Nand Singh SAhib's story... but... isn't that what you are doing as well? choosing not to learn, or not emphasizing the learning of our language to aid in our quest... youre gonna go the baba nand singh route, even though you said we shouldn't cuz we're not them

• 3 weeks later...

Whats the big deal about learning Punjabi ?

Well, if you are a Punjabi then i would assume learning our mother-tongue is somewhat of a big deal. But at end of the day, its your choice.

I too wanted to learn once upon a time and did learn ... but is it going to be of any spiritual benefit ?

It may not be of any spiritual benefit but you personally will benefit from having the ability to communicate in two languages. Knowledge never hurts. Plus, since Gurdwara ceremony etc is usually conducted in Punjabi of course you will benefit by learning the language.

Please dont assume that the purpose of teaching these is to somehow turn you into a more 'spiritual person'. People may happen to just want to learn how to play instruments, speak Punjabi etc

I dont rely on Sikh historians and gyanis for info.

jx3, u don't believe in learning to read scriptures, & u don't seem to want to rely on any external sources for information... where then do u get your information? divine communication?

"why is it that if a man talks to god he's religious, but if god talks back he's insane?!"