If u want to become a Nihang do you have to re take amrit?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beast, they just have the word “jatka†written outside of their meat shops. They get their meat from factory farmed animals. That is not Jatka. Jatka is when an animal is killed with a single blow of decapitation using a Tulwar. That is not how they slaughter the animals in the UK.

Singh47 does have a point.

Meat isnt killed in the way it should be for a gursikh. Instead the animal is tortured and put through fear the electric shocks. Not to mention the hard life it has being put into a confined space. This isnt jhatka.

Also, my friend use to own a butchers shop..halaal or not..95% of meat shops will buy meat from the same place, from the same supplier, killed in the same way (above) and stick a label on it..and a sticker on the shop window..and sadly, people beleive it!

Veer Baba Manochal (nice name!)

It’s a mistake for Sikhs to think that the method of slaughter for factory farmed animals is even remotely “Chatkaâ€. If they do think that is chatka, then they are not after Sanatan Sikh traditions, but just after meat. They are just fooling themselves and others into thinking that is Chatka. If you are eating from KFC, McDonalds, Harveys, all the “chatka†shops in UK(all of whom buy meat from factory farms!) you are going against the Snatan Sikh tradition of Chatka by committing a Krahit by eating non-Chatka meat and should get pesh to Budha Dal next time you are in India.

Singh47, your above post is spot on.

There is a video coming out soon regarding right representation of budda dal soon. It should also cover the chatka history and maryada!!

All in due time... :twisted: :twisted:

On a serious note:

Please be patience...dont want to kill the suspense.. it should be out in couple of weeks.

• 4 months later...

sorry about opening this up again but what is forbidden?

1) Halaal/Kosher/Kutha meat

or

2) Anything non-chatka?

as far as im aware its more number 1) than 2).

If one attempts chatka with a gun, because he doesnt have a 3foot sword to decapitate a deer/gazelle etc and the animal doesnt die instantly, then does that meat become unfit for consumption...? i dont think that would be very sensible to throw away the carcass and start try again on another animal. do u? more so its halaal that is forbidden.

i just had to put my view across.

Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaaj did chatka to a goat in Gulaba and Panjabas house using a gun... The goat was washed by Gulaba whilst reading baani and then Maharaaj took out a gun (the only shastar maharaaj had with him at the time) and sent the soul of the goat into mahasamaadhi (as mentioned by Giani Gyan Singh).

What is the difference from this and using a mechanised method like today?

I have it on very high authority that if due to external pressures traditional "chatka" is not available mechanised chatka is also allowed.

What is the difference?

Kahn Singh Nabha has defined chatka as an act which takes on blow. If the animal is killed in one blow using mechanised methods this also qualifies as chatka.

The focus is on the one, clean blow not on using a sword, gun or machine. At the end of the day it's about the one blow - any shastar modern or old could be used.

"Ghol Patke da, Maas Chatke Da" (An old Panjabi saying)

Guest Sardar Moderator Singh

This is not, as indicated above, a debate on Chatka per se (although this is a discussion that is worth having), such such I will approach my colleagues on the Moderation Team to cut this section into two so that both debates (Becoming Nihangs and Chatka) can continue separately in full.

Regards to all,

SMS

Kahn Singh Nabha has defined chatka as an act which takes on blow. If the animal is killed in one blow using mechanised methods this also qualifies as chatka.

did u even read the mahan kosh? jeez. dont quote stuff from him if u dont know what the hell ur talking about.

he defined jhatka by this: "Sat Sri Akaal kahkae shastar dae ek vaar naal jeev dah sir vadhanaa" -> When saying Sat Sri AKaal, with a shastar take one blow (vaar) and remove the animals head.

therefore, firstly, yes, he does says with one blow, BUT he also says with a shastar, and ALSO says one must say Sat Sri Akaal before.