how do u get a forum up and running

Orchids

hi

i have created a forum it is www.desimates.cjb.net

how do i get people to sign up for it... ?

how did loads of ppl sign up for this?

the forum that i have made is a pen pal thingy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mod Note: 1. Make sure your site's address is in your signature when you use other forums.

2. Start topic threads that will make ppl want to have their say.

3. Don't make to many catagories expand as your forum grows.

4. Make fake accounts and talk to yourself for awhile.

5. Make sure there isn't a long time in between activity so the forum dont look dead.

6. Link exchange with similar communties.

7. Participate on communties with your interests.

8. Give your visitors a reason to join.

9. Get good moderators

10. Get a good forum skin

And as we can observe from the success of sikhawareness.com, there is absolutely no need for an execuisite home page either... contents is what matters...

thanx Mod for a very useful advice...

Make fake accounts and talk to yourself for awhile.

Very practical approach and why not ? This is called Self encouragement you see...;) espacially after doing all the hard work of setting up a forum... :) moreover posting quality stuff would certainly bring quality members...

The best underhanded way of advertising your website is hotmail. :D

You know how u get (well i get them ) those forwarded emails, which have millions of email addresses in the begining. Well steal those email addresses and send them an email telling about ur forum.

Put some html pages on ur sever ( possibly build a small website ) , with keywords, meta tags, meaningful titles. Search engines dont index Forums especially PHP ones, if they did then every search result would link to a forum.

So having a small static website to go along with the forum gets u listed properly in the search engines.

Do Link Exchange.

Any email you send out, make sure u have ur forum address there.

Dont have too many categories and subcategoris, they are confusing.

Dont use your Admin id, except for making announcements or giving warnings/ feedback.

warning: i never had a forum

Would you elaborate a little more on this.. ?

Well its better to mingle amongst the members and discuss things without shoveing ur status in their face. People tend to be more open if they see u as another member of the forum.

Only use Admin id when neccessary, i.e announments, warnings.

Also , Its a less complecated process that way.

Only use Admin id when neccessary, i.e announments, warnings.

Also , Its a less complecated process that way.

I agree with Amardeep Singh. Members get so offensive, if moderator is opposing them or correcting them but on the other hand they have no problem if members do the same.

Put some html pages on ur sever ( possibly build a small website ) , with keywords, meta tags, meaningful titles. Search engines dont index Forums especially PHP ones, if they did then every search result would link to a forum. So having a small static website to go along with the forum gets u listed properly in the search engines.

Actually, Amardeep you are right that it is good idea to have static page but it is not true that php pages cannot get indexed properly.

I'm working on getting high ranking in search engine these days and came across this discussion you might want to check out to read further on this subject.

http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2730

I didnt say anything about PHP pages. I said

Search engines dont index Forums especially PHP ones

What i didnt say was, search engines dont like dynamic websites, and websites with querystrings, Since most forums tend to use excessive amounts of querystrings.

posting.php?mode=reply&t=4397

If you guys want better indexing and higher ranking then save someof the topics has html pages on the server. Add a request in the google webbot page for site index. Also i didnt have time to look at whether Sikhawareness uses different metatags for each php page, most likely it doesnt and because of that only the main page of the forums is indexed by google.

They dont allow people to use same metatags and keyword on all pages.