Defination of "militant" & "Terroris!?

I was wondering today what exactly is difference between those two words:

Offer media represent us "militants" and "terrorist". Where you draw the line between those two words and what exactly those two terms mean??? I m not merely lookin for the meaning but i m lookin for one's perception of calling one miltant and terrorist....

Offer media represent us "militants" and "terrorist".

Us? Also, definition of these words changes with time. You can be called terrorists if you have your "cult" and majority of people oppose you from the same community. Also, media does not label anyone with names but they go by the decision of majority.

from my understanding a terrorist is someone who doesnt distinguish between the innocent and the presumed 'target'.

they do deliberate acts of violence, or threats of violence to both innocent and not so innocent to produce a particular psycological effect- 'terror'. on the assumption that this will lead to a shift in the 'targets' attitudes and behavior.

Militants from what i know are military trained soldiers who revolt against the goverenment, but only targeting the political target. Not innocents,as they in some cases are there souce of finance and shelter.

however both use similar 2 step methods to get there message heard. ( I would rather not discuss these methods on this forum)

also terrorism is normally JUST related to the death of civilians,

while militants are related to political figures or soldiers casualty.

at the moment there is a lot of research being done on the topic of terrorists and militants, and what makes them tick.

the most common pattern i seem to have found amont them (this also includes the terrorist, militants, and so called freedom fighters of punjab) regarding there

existence is :

1. they are trying to self preserve themselves.

2. overthrow political and alternative policies by government.

3. is a extreme version of rackerteering. just violence and fear to create a source of finance. and et al

both use Guerialla Warfare and Psycological Warfare..

to end of with did you know that the term terrorist was first used in the 17th century to describe the revolutionaries in France who werer trying to overthrow the political and royal figures of state.

So let me get this right Jamuka,

At Omagh, when the IRA knew full well that they were about to kill women and children doing their saturday shopping, AND that it was possible to maximise the numbers of innocent men, women and children they could kill by predetermining which way the survivors of the first bomb would run and then set off a delayed second bomb...this is militancy?

You really don't know what you're talking about! If this isn't terrorism (creating terror for political gain) then what is.

Politics

I think so too. We live in the world of labels - militant, fundamentalist, terrorist, coward, patriot, hero, traitor, the list goes on and on. Whole ballads used to be written to define a man, but these days a single word is considered sufficient. It just goes to show you how much "progress" man-kind has really made.

I refuse to believe in this BS.

• 2 weeks later...

i think Jungee's on the right track in terms of the difference between a terrorist and a militant. but at the same time, it all really does just boil down to politics and what someone wants u to think and believe in.

who is it who gives us these terms and labels neways? the media, right? and who controls the media...? in most countries, it's the government. so really speaking, it boils down to politics and what they want us to believe and think.

I agree with the labels thing, however, there are incidents when there is really no problem in deciphering one from the other such as omagh, or lining up all the innocent hindu passengers from a bus and shooting them, or picking up innocent young sikh boys and killing them in fake encounters, setting off a bomb in a market place, etc

how thin is the line between 'militant' & 'terrorist'?... perhaps that's a question for a psychologist. what frame of mind is a militant in... how much is their judgement affected by their proximity to violence? i guess a related but much more fundamental question would be, are terrorists people who have consciously chosen that path, or a product of their circumstances (whether that be traumatic experiences or indoctrination.)

in either case though, they're doing it for self preservation as Jungee said. it'd be interesting to see why and how ppl label some groups as militants and others as terrorists though...

i'm not sure exactly how close to someone who encourages violence someone as peaceful as psychologist would wanna get...

Militancy refers to a group engaged in armed conflict. Terrorism is a strategy...

If you look all around the World, armies, militants, peoples war groups etc all use terror tactics as part of their strategy. Take Jammu-Kashmir for example. You have the Indian army and local/foreign militants who are basically at war with eachother. Both however use terrorism as a way of aiming to defeat the other side.

You have Indian army attacking civilians by shelling villages across the LoC (This is terrorism) you have militants planting bombs in cilvilian areas etc, Just two examples of terrorism used as part of strategy.

For those living in UK, there is a special documentary going to be shown tonight around 9pm i think which will cover the 70 odd armed conflicts currently going on all over the World. Should provide a better understanding of this topic..