abstract math problem... the return!!

guv

here's another puzzle for everyone... i must admit it did take me a while to figure this one out... around 10 minutes or so.

There are 2 non-identical strings. If you light one of the strings at its end, it will take exactly one hour for it to finish burning completely. The strings will not burn evenly - they are thicker in some places, thinner in others (but not in the same places). For example, the strings may not be half consumed exactly 30 minutes from lighting at one end. You have no other means of telling time, and you want to know when exactly 45 minutes have passed. All that you have is a lighter and these 2 strings. What is the most accurate method you can use, given these conditions?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

divide the strings into 4 equal quarters, then when then light both strings.

when they both reach the 3rd quarter u are at ur 45 mints mark.

but i guess u cud argue that they dont burn at the same speed.

but i guess u cud argue that they dont burn at the same speed.

exactly... since they are thicker & thinner in places.

lol, good point... so, can i phone a freind?

no, but u can ask the audience!

oooooooooo u reminded me of my stupid proof portfolio that i am too scared to look at! lol i shud prob start doin it... maybe this weekend... but not now! lol ahah if i get stuck u math geniouses better help me out! lol there will be "math abstract problem.... episode 3"

one!

keep on smilng :)

This is so easy..LOL

Well you are given String #1 and String #2 ..and the matches...and your assuming that the time taken to burn the strings is one hour from either end.

So, if you burn both ends of String #1 and only one end of String #2 at the same time.you would expect that thirty minutes has passed when String #1 becomes fully burned. When String #1 is completely burned, thirty minutes of burning will be left for String #2... So as soon as String #1 burns out, light String #2 ..which will now burn for 15 minutes..(Because you have the flame going from both directions on a thirty minute string)

When String #2 is completely burned, 45 minutes total have passed. So, total time spent is 30+15 = 45mins!

hmmm... rupy, seems like u've heard this one before... don't worry, i'll find a harder puzzle for u!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

but i suppose some congratulations are in order! :D

& mugermach... how many bloody times are u gonna post up the same link?!? it's funny the first time, but not the 50th!! :roll:

Gone to Garbage Land. Stick to the humor and Not perverted humor.

How many times we have it make to clear to you lads that there are young sikh youths visiting this forum on daily purpose!!

Gone to Garbage Land. Stick to the humor and Not perverted humor.

there was no perverted humour in any of the posts :? ... unless u read them with a really weird messed up perverted mind!! :twisted:

Please take it over the pm!

Why take it over the pm N3O (and pm with whom)?

U can't tell me the post was that bad!!!

Oh well, who cares. It was a crap riddle anyway.

i think it was because it had the word 'n*ked' in it... & as everyone knows nak*d is a perverted word. :roll:

i agree, but not every1 are saddo's like you and i who read every post. lol

u read all the posts too... admit it... you're a saddo too!! :shock: