Khalsa Ladies Camp

lol, "ladies camp". By way of logic there must exist a "men's camp".

I'm thinking of organizing a "Bunda's International Theological Calling for Humans" camp myself (work out the acronym yourselves peeps).

We will cater for anything that doesn't require any effort.

Seriously though, I don't agree with "Women's Camps" coz they are sexist. Anyone who disagrees must ask themselves: "Were our Guru's sexist?".

Beast, your stretching the limits way too far

You have a women's bathroom seperated from a guy's bathroom..Is that sexist?

There is certain area in a department store where it is targeted at the ladies ..Is that sexist?

You have private girl schools..Is that sexist?

At the gym you have seperated lockers..Is that sexist?

No, its just simply how our society runs in this age...

i agree. the entire point of women's camps is to create a more comfortable environment for women so that they can discuss things at more ease than they'd feel in a unisex camp. mebbe there should be a men's camp. nice idea beast. when're u gettin started on operation b.i.t.c.h?

lol, "ladies camp". By way of logic there must exist a "men's camp".

I'm thinking of organizing a "Bunda's International Theological Calling for Humans" camp myself (work out the acronym yourselves peeps).

We will cater for anything that doesn't require any effort.

Seriously though, I don't agree with "Women's Camps" coz they are sexist. Anyone who disagrees must ask themselves: "Were our Guru's sexist?".

that's disgusting. you calling sistas bitchs?

Can u read?

It was a tongue in cheek comment, which if taken literally would actually have been more offensive to men then women.

Maybe it was a bit childish to include it, but use your brain before you accuse me of calling sister's on this site "bitchs" (its actually 'bitches').

Just to conclude, I shouldn't have said it here but it was more of an insult to men.

Happy now?

Anyway, back to the original post. If this camp is of benefit to Sikh Ladies then maybe it should be encouraged. About my original thoughts: I suppose its not explicitly sexist against men, mainly because we don't suffer any negative consequences as a result of the camp. I just don't fully understand the need for a seperate Ladies Camp. But if it something that is necessitated then cool.

if it helps them i guess go for it, but personally i find the whole idea of a womens only camp quite offensive & sexist... not against men, but against women. it enforces the age old paradigm that man is the norm & woman is the other (read simone de beauvoir's 'i am woman')... & so needs her own camp because she is somehow inferior.

what's even worse is when at a camp or other sikh event, they will have a number of male speakers & then a sole woman speaker to talk about... 'women in sikhi'! my god, how perverse is that!... putting women down to such a level that we even have to show how they (the other, that which is different) should 'fit into' sikhi, as if it is a man orientated path & woman must adapt to it, instead of being an integral part of it... i could go into the whole masculinisation of sikhi & the destruction of the shakti element, but that's a whole other discussion.

i'll leave u with the words of raicho hiratsuka (an early japanese proponent of womens rights & role in society - i hesitate to use the term 'feminist' because of negative connotations eg girl power - spice girls!) & a nice website i found while looking for the quote:

"Originally woman was the Sun.

She was an authentic person.

Now woman is the Moon.

She lives by depending on another

and she shines by reflecting another's light.Her face has a sickly pallor.

We must now regain our hidden Sun.

"Reveal our Hidden Sun!

Rediscover our natural gifts!"

This is the ceaseless cry

which forces itself into our hearts;

It is our final, complete and only instinct

through which our various separate instincts

Are Unified"

http://rivendell.fortunecity.com/hero/391/women/isle.html

ur right. it's not right to segregate women from men and treat them as the "other" half. but the truth is that some Punjabi Sikhs will never let their daughters, sisters, mothers, wives, etc. go to camp with *gasps* other men present! it's a very negative and narrow-minded way of thinking. but sadly enough, it exists. now how can we take away the rights of these women to learn about Sikhi?

and i think i mentioned this before, but there are times when women won't completely and totally open up in front of guys. it's called girl talk, and it happens all the time, regardless of whether guys are aware of it or not. and it helps a lot when gals can have their girl talk without worryin bout bein overheard by guys. i'm sure guys feel the same way bout their "guy talks" if such a thing exists.

in one sense though, a women's camp is kinda empowering to women cuz it just goes to show that they can be independant an take care of things on their own. there's always more than one way of lookin at things...

i was just expanding on my point guv. no offence, dude... :)

yeah, i'd rather not go to a ladies only camp. but i'm one of the luckier ppl who doesn't have uber strict an narrow-minded parents. but i dinno that it's more expensive... tha's just crazy...

i was just expanding on my point guv. no offence, dude... :)

none taken... i don't get offended easily at all.

in one sense though, a women's camp is kinda empowering to women cuz it just goes to show that they can be independant an take care of things on their own.

my whole point was that there must be something wrong for women to feel that this is necessary... they must feel some sense of inferiority to need to be empowered as a sex (as opposed to empowered as individuals.) the blame lies on both man & woman... mostly man!... for the male-orientated mindset in which he lives, but also woman for accepting & living that view. having a womens camp for the reason of empowerment is not addressing the issue, but running away from it... as it is not presenting a holistic perspective. it's more like saying 'woman can do everything man can... when man's not there!' instead of addressing woman's role in society, reassessing the social relationship between man & woman, & challenging the governing paradigms. i don't know if i've made my point clearly, but i hope u understand what i'm talking about.

if the camp is for other reasons like girly talks or because that is the only way some women will be allowed to go, then it's all good.

Please forgive this coward known as Beast, he suffers from Dementia. He also feels men should have tampons as well.

Why all the jealousy? Be a man and let the sisters group together in an environment they feel comfortable in.

aw... dun insult the kid. tha's not nice. if beasty wants something up his bottom at all times, he should feel free to do so. i'm sure he isn't jealous, but rather just curious... :LOL:

guv, i totally understand where ur coming from. but once again, the truth is that women aren't exactly playin an equal role and goin to women's camps might help them realize that they should be playin an equal role. a lot of women are demeaned in society and led to believe that they are the lesser sex, regardless of what Sikhi says. it's a problem that needs to be combatted. men and women shouldn't just be thought of as equals, but rather should be treated as such.