Good books to read on Sikhism???

I dont know much but I really like the comics and other small story books. There are loads of books you could choose from, one of them being the warrior princes by harjit lakhan. If you want to go into depth, any book by bhai randhir singh ji. Others are in punjabi if you can read that, there is one which I loved totally, bhai bala jis janam sakhi!

hope you can choose one to your liking.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

yeah i think steel bangle bhaji gave the best suggestion 8)

and Bhai Vir Singh Ji's books are AWESOME!

Sundri

Bijai Singh

Satwant Kaur

..these are just a few of Bhai Sahib's chardee kalaa books. They're all sooo inspirational. I think there's a website that has all of Sundri on it..if i can find it again, i'll let ya know. :)

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

yeah the cover looks mad, i like that shade of blue, i really need to read it thouh :? i heard its a fantastic book, will start reading it say nxt week, i will be puting my book review as soon as i finsih :P

oh and satwant kaur, such a fantastic book, and sundri, had to read them for my Alevel punjabi exam all those years ago! lol

i found a copy of the nitnem at home - by bhai darhsan singh doabia its titled "sacred nitnem" and its basically the english / romanised / gurmukhi translations of the banj baaniya - rehras - ardas and kirtan sohaila

im sure people have seem the cover - it has a candle on the front

here we go....

Sacred%20Nitnem%20.jpg

well the good thing about this is at the end it goes into soooooooooo much detail about the nitnem in english - why such things are - the deeper meanings of certain words - lots n lots of things.... well worth readin!

fateh :wink:

ive read bhai rama singhs book its heavy

i read parasaraprasna by kapur singh thats good

and warriors saints is good too

dasam granth and guru granth are the obvious ones

where CAN I GET HOLD OF BHAI RANDHIR SINGHS AUTOBIOGRAPHY IN UK!!!! PLEEEEEEEZ TELL ME!! I WENT TO AN AKJ RANSAVAE AND THEY DIDNT HAVE ANYTHING....WHERE WHERE WHERE LOL

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa, vaheguru ji ki fatehhh

K4ur u was asking about Bhai Rama Singh jee book!!! Its REALLY good book i think u read it.....u will learn alot of stuff from it..... I read it two times!!! its wicked!!! :D

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa, Vaheguru ji ki fatehhh.......

• 2 weeks later...

Sat Sri Akal:

For Sikh History, there are very few books (if any) that can match Bhai Sangat Singh's "The Sikhs In History". It gives a thorough account of Sikh History and is referenced, so the material is soundly backed up.

If you need a very good history of Sikhs, this is the one.

Spiritually, I would recommend "Bandaginama" by Bhai Raghbir Singh.

It can be downloaded at www.boss-uk.org in the Articles section (site is currently not working...but it is usually down for a small amount of time). It is one of the rare texts on spirituality. Also good is Bhai Randhir Singh's works located on http://www.akj.org.uk/literature/article.asp?sec=Gurmat (I am referring to The Meaning of Sikh Baptism, A Christian Missionary Meets Me, and Hair - A Divine Gift). Truly inspirational and FREE!!!

• 1 month later...

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji ki Fateh

I thought i'd add on to your list of books to read.

All of Bhai Vir Singh Ji's books are a MUST read.

Another great author is Prof. Puran Singh Ji. He has written a ton of books and which are totally inspiring. A few of the ones that i have gotten through and totally recommend are the Ten Masters, Spirit of the Sikh, and Spirit Born People. His other books contain a lot of poetry and my level of thinking is where i can understand all he is saying yet as it is very deep.

Another gursikh who has written articles on sikhi is Jaswant Singh Ji (lovingly known as Bauji). He has written over 120 articles on different aspects of sikhi which are in punjabi. He has also written books in english including Power of Thoughts, Divine Religion, and Oasis in the Desert of Maya. These are amazing books to read and those who can read and understand punjabi would gain a lot from reading the punjabi Gurbani Vichaars. These can be picked up free at any Sadh Sangat Samagams that take place all over north america, uk, australia, kenya, singapore, malaysia, and india.

ps.. another author worth looking into is Joel S. Goldsmith. No he is not a sikh author but is also a god-intoxicated soul who has written numerous books on spirituality that are very universal. One such book is Practicing the Presence. Goldsmith's books can be purchased at most bookstores.

oh and another western author is Walt Whitman, also not a sikh author but who has a lot of spiritual wisdom to share.

sorry for the long post.... but i got excited about the books...

Waheguru Ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

J Singh

All,

we had a similar post like this called 'books' (by me 8) ). I think the best book of the books on sikhism is by daljeet singh (that man is god 8) ) this dude has a phd in english so he knows what hes talking about. it covers everything regarding sikhism and has a awesome way of bashing bahmaniziation and covers every event happendd from the time of the guru to sant jarnail singh bhinderwalia and further.

its called

SIKHISM its philosophy and history, introduction by choor singh, edited by daljeet singh and kharak singh

and if any of u are going india the address is....

NEW BOOKS CO.

MAI GIRAN GATE.

JALANDHAR (thats all it says :? )

If you want to read some home truths about sikhism, try reading the following books by S Bhagwant Singh Dilawri (published and distributed free of cost by the Pingalwara Charitable Society, Amritsar. tel: 583586, fax: 584586):

1. In the footsteps of the Master (written in english)

2. Sachhe aure sabh ko uupper sach achhaar (written in gurmukhi)

3. Gursikhi bareek hai, part 1 and part 2, (both written in gurmukhi)

Happy reading !!!