Help with 'Easy Designer' homepage tool

KiddaN,

Ok i've never studied any computing courses before so im probably quite a way behind others in terms of technicalities etc Anyway, since i have been out of education and out of work since last December i've had alot of free time on my hands and decided to put together my own homepage.

As im an AOL subscriber this was made easy for me considering that they offer FTP space, web tool.. as part of their subscription.

So, few months here and there teaching myself how to build a page and i've come up with more-or-less the best i can out of the basic web tools im using. Big problem though, nothing seems to come into the middle, everything is towards the left of the screen.

On the layout page or whatever when i am making or editing a page i use all the space available, but then once you view the page with the browser the page doesnt fill out if you know what i mean, its kinda to the left.

Sorry i cant explain better but i'll give some example from the site so you can see what i mean:

http://hometown.aol.com/mahapunjab/home.html

http://hometown.aol.com/mahapunjab/sikhism.html

http://hometown.aol.com/mahapunjab/2004.html

Does anyone know what im doing wrong or how i can fix this?

Thanks for any help

Very easy dear Akhilesh... Ok here is what you have to do...

Open the file home.html in your editor... Locate the following line on the top.

<body topmargin="0" leftmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">

Ok! now just insert/paste the following tag immediately AFTER above line :

<div align=center>

Ok ! now go towards the bottm of the page find the second last line where the body tag is closing... like...

</body>

Just immediately BEFORE that tag add the following closing tag :

</div>

And you are done !!!

Cheers :D !!!

There can be further problem with your page tilting towards left and that is your Aol Voicemail... Tell Me more... logo... towards top right hand side of the page... that logo thingy has to move from there, you can put it towards the bottom of your page...

You can try the first option and if the problem still persists, we can take further action to shift that AOL logo some where else on the page...

Regards

And one thing more, You have to apply that TAG option of <div> to each and every page of your website... Nice collection of Photos...

Chardi Kalaa...

Firstly, dont use the Div tag as older browsers dont like it,

<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

I know wat the problem is, What you are saying it that when you view the file on ur computer, the webpage you made the header fits the entire width of the browser window, but when u view it online, it shows a gap on the right.

The problem isnt your code, its the AOL advert. it shrinks the table width and makes it look like its on the left. Unforgunatly, you cant do much about it unless you find some code that takes the advert off.

I wud look at it, but i have a project due in tomrrow :(

Very nicly made page btw.

fateh

Firstly, dont use the Div tag as older browsers dont like it,

Older Browsers !!! LOL... How many of you people nowadays using "older browsers"... I wonder...

I still think "Div" tag is the best option...

Older Browsers !!! LOL... How many of you people nowadays using "older browsers"... I wonder...

I still think "Div" tag is the best option...

:roll: it isnt though, You just want to alighn the whole table into center so why not just add the align="center" attribute to the <table> tag.

Tables are compaitble with all broswers , where Div tend to mess things up. And as for how many ppl still use older browser, well u need to look at the server logs of some of the servers i have access to :wink: to understand that question.

well man you may be right... but only <div> tag solved my same problem...

I tried it table tag too but it was not working...

Rest you are an expert ji... ;)

Hi,

The HTML codes didnt seem to work. I cant do anything about the AOL advert since that automatically appears at the top of the page. Although one way around that is to replace the word "hometown" with "members" in the URL address.

I believe it is simply the tool i have used to create my homepage which does not fill the entire screen.

Perhaps i will shift my page to another server and re-create it using other software.

Thanks for the help tho

I saved ur webpage on my computer, and then removed the advert. AS soon as i did that, the main design fitted the entire window.

Its definatly the advert. just put ur stuff on a server that doesnt have an advert.

• 2 weeks later...

I saved ur webpage on my computer, and then removed the advert. AS soon as i did that, the main design fitted the entire window.

Ok this may sound like a real dumb question but how did you remove the add after you saved the page onto your computer?

how did you remove the add after you saved the page onto your computer?

Not possible, when you upload it on the AOL server... there is no way out but for some bucks you could ask the AOL to remove the advertisement... I am sure they would not be charging too much for removing the ads...