Importance of Sri sukhmani Sahib

On 22/06/2004 at 7:10 AM, N30 S!NGH said:

Also almost all the mahapurkhs advice their jagaso(learners of atam marG) if you do 2 sukhmani sahib's patt every day for the whole month that equilvants to siri guroo granth sahib daie sehaj patt.

Counting Contrary to Gurmat

Gurbani rejects this nonsense. Because all calculations or all calculated Bhagti is in false ego-sense (Haumai). Consider these verses:

• ਹਉਮੈ ਸਭਾ ਗਣਤ ਹੈ ਗਣਤੈ ਨਉ ਸੁਖੁ ਨਾਹਿ ॥: All accounting is in egotism. In this accounting, there is no Peace (sggs 36).
  • ਗਣਤੈ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਨ ਪਾਈਐ ਦੂਜੈ ਭਰਮੀਤਾ ॥: Ganatai prabhoo na paaeeai doojai bharameetaa: God cannot be obtained by counting; the mortal wanders in doubt — Maya, duality etc. (sggs 510).

This Giaan of the Gurbani is also meant for the Sikhs!! If we don’t believe it then we are not Sikhs. the Gurmat and Saakat-Matt are two different and opposing things. All counting is for the conditioned or material being (Manmukh, Saakat, Mayadhaaree…) for his life or world is in the realm of calculations — egoism or Maya.

There is no counting or calculations for the one who has become the Gurmukh (one who lives the Shabad-Giaan, Gur-Giaan, Gurmat…); because he knows he is not separate from God. He thus relieves himself of all egoistic or mental calculations through the constant abidance in his Joti-Svaroopa within.

So the Gurbani urges us to stop counting beads and become the Gurmukhi.

• ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਗਲੀ ਗਣਤ ਮਿਟਾਵੈ ॥: Gurmukh sagalee ganath mittaavai: The Gurmukh erases all calculations (sggs 942).

11 minutes ago, akalpurkh said:

Counting Contrary to Gurmat

Gurbani rejects this nonsense. Because all calculations or all calculated Bhagti is in false ego-sense (Haumai). Consider these verses:

• ਹਉਮੈ ਸਭਾ ਗਣਤ ਹੈ ਗਣਤੈ ਨਉ ਸੁਖੁ ਨਾਹਿ ॥: All accounting is in egotism. In this accounting, there is no Peace (sggs 36).
  • ਗਣਤੈ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਨ ਪਾਈਐ ਦੂਜੈ ਭਰਮੀਤਾ ॥: Ganatai prabhoo na paaeeai doojai bharameetaa: God cannot be obtained by counting; the mortal wanders in doubt — Maya, duality etc. (sggs 510).

This Giaan of the Gurbani is also meant for the Sikhs!! If we don’t believe it then we are not Sikhs. the Gurmat and Saakat-Matt are two different and opposing things. All counting is for the conditioned or material being (Manmukh, Saakat, Mayadhaaree…) for his life or world is in the realm of calculations — egoism or Maya.

There is no counting or calculations for the one who has become the Gurmukh (one who lives the Shabad-Giaan, Gur-Giaan, Gurmat…); because he knows he is not separate from God. He thus relieves himself of all egoistic or mental calculations through the constant abidance in his Joti-Svaroopa within.

So the Gurbani urges us to stop counting beads and become the Gurmukhi.

• ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਗਲੀ ਗਣਤ ਮਿਟਾਵੈ ॥: Gurmukh sagalee ganath mittaavai: The Gurmukh erases all calculations (sggs 942).

I study that as spiritual development, just as baby is not taught phd stuff right away just like that spirituality is bit like that, everything in stages- above discourse should be look at intial steps to draw seeker in then provide updesh from gurbani as you posted to transcend  them. Every dharam has four stages- shariat, tariqat, marfat, hakikat, contextualization and conceptualization is key. See it as stage there are no conflicts there.

Gian of gurbani is *NOT*  the missionary stuff teaches about being good person, have good morals and rest of simplistic way its about knowning who you are - our jot saroop - mool saroop- jot saroop- advai purkh- non dual aware being. So that final stages takes bit of time for many seekers. Hence, you see intial bhagti sharda updesh like that of drawing seekers in slowly in stages- bhagti, shabad and then finally gyan (its not standard for everyone as everyone is at different stage but its bit of framework older sikh spiritual orders are given to have some structure). 

On 02/03/2016 at 8:30 PM, Gunahgar said:

This is for the benefit of Sangat only , since many people don't know about this, not for so called "kal-banda".

This is an oral tradition and I am not sure if it can be found in written documents. If someone comes across this , that would be helpful. This maryada of 2 sukhamni sahib paths, 10 japjis, 6 moolmantars malas, waheguru 80 malas were started by the 10th Guru Dhan Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji maharaj himself. Singhs asked Guru ji that it is difficul to carry around a saroop of Guru Granth Sahib as they are always on horses, how can they benefit from a sehaj path of Guru Sahib. This jugti was given by Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

This jugti has since travelled down sampardas.

This bachan was told by Dhan Baba Nand Singh ji & Dhan Baba Ishar Singh Ji kaleran, I heard it in their bachan tapes. Sant Ishar Singh Ji rara sahib also agree with this Jugti.  Not sure about Taksals stance on this.

This is what Gurmat has to say on Mala

Mala in Adi Granth Sahib

In Gurbani, Mala is used by Pundits and Vaishno, along with Dhoti and Tika.

ਜਬ ਕੀ ਮਾਲਾ ਲਈ ਨਿਪੂਤੇ ਤਬ ਤੇ ਸੁਖੁ ਭਇਓ ਰਹਾਉ
Ever since this worthless son of mine began chanting with his mala, we have had no peace at all! ||1||Pause|| (856, Kabir)

ਮਾਲਾ ਫੇਰੈ ਮੰਗੈ ਬਿਭੂਤ ਇਹ ਬਿਧਿ ਕੋਇ ਤਰਿਓ ਮੀਤ
You chant on your mala, and beg for money. No one has ever been saved in this way, friend. ||3|| (888, Gur Arjan Dev)

ਮਾਥੇ ਤਿਲਕੁ ਹਥਿ ਮਾਲਾ ਬਾਨਾਂ ਲੋਗਨ ਰਾਮੁ ਖਿਲਉਨਾ ਜਾਨਾਂ
Apply ceremonial marks to their foreheads, hold malas in their hands, and wear religious robes. people think that the Lord is a toy. ||1|| (1158, Kabir)

ਸਾਲ ਗ੍ਰਾਮ ਬਿਪ ਪੂਜਿ ਮਨਾਵਹੁ ਸੁਕ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਤੁਲਸੀ ਮਾਲਾ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਿ ਬੇੜਾ ਬਾਂਧਹੁ ਦਇਆ ਕਰਹੁ ਦਇਆਲਾ
O Brahmin, you worship and believe in your stone-god, and wear your ceremonial rosary beads. Chant the Name of the Lord. Build your boat, and pray, "O Merciful Lord, please be merciful to me."||1|| (1170, mahalla 1)

ਗਲਿ ਮਾਲਾ ਤਿਲਕ ਲਿਲਾਟੰ ਦੁਇ ਧੋਤੀ ਬਸਤ੍ਰ ਕਪਾਟੰ
ਜੋ ਜਾਨਸਿ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੰ ਕਰਮੰ ਸਭ ਫੋਕਟ ਨਿਸਚੈ ਕਰਮੰ
The mala is around your neck, and the sacred tilak mark is on your forehead. You wear two loin cloths, and keep your head covered.
If you know God and the nature of karma, you know that all these rituals and beliefs are useless. (1353, 1)

ਕਬੀਰ ਬੈਸਨੋ ਹੂਆ ਕਿਆ ਭਇਆ ਮਾਲਾ ਮੇਲੀਂ ਚਾਰਿ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਕੰਚਨੁ ਬਾਰਹਾ ਭੀਤਰਿ ਭਰੀ ਭੰਗਾਰ ੧੪੫
Kabeer, what good is it to become a devotee of Vishnu, and wear four malas? On the outside, he may look like pure gold, but on the inside, he is stuffed with dust. ||145|| (1372, Kabir)

Mala in Dasam Granth

Quotes from Dasam Granth

In Dasam granth, Guru Gobind Singh is not seen carrying Mala and nowhere is he promoting using of Mala. In commencement of Chaubis Avtar, He had a jibe on Mala Carrying Hindus and Muslims by saying which means that with even mala no one can dyed in love with lord.

ਚੌਪਈ ਇਕ ਤਸਬੀ ਇਕ ਮਾਲਾ ਧਰਹੀ ਏਕ ਕੁਰਾਨ ਪੁਰਾਨ ਉਚਰਹੀ ਕਰਤ ਬਿਰੁਧ ਗਏ ਮਰ ਮੂੜਾ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੋ ਰੰਗੁ ਲਾਗਾ ਗੂੜਾ ੨੦

CHAUPAI One of them wears a Tasbi (the rosary of Muslims) and the other one wears Mala (the rosary of a Hindu); One of them recites the Quran and the other one reads Puranas; The adherents of both the religions are foolishly dying in opposing each other, And none of them is dyed in the love of the Lord.20.

On 02/03/2016 at 8:45 PM, paapiman said:

Most likely, Taksaal will agree too.

Thanks for sharing.

Bhul chuk maaf

Mala in Adi Granth Sahib

Ever since this worthless son of mine began chanting with his mala, we have had no peace at all! ||1||Pause|| (856, Kabir)

You chant on your mala, and beg for money. No one has ever been saved in this way, friend. ||3|| (888, Gur Arjan Dev)

Apply ceremonial marks to their foreheads, hold malas in their hands, and wear religious robes. people think that the Lord is a toy. ||1|| (1158, Kabir)

ਸਾਲ ਗ੍ਰਾਮ ਬਿਪ ਪੂਜਿ ਮਨਾਵਹੁ ਸੁਕ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਤੁਲਸੀ ਮਾਲਾ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਿ ਬੇੜਾ ਬਾਂਧਹੁ ਦਇਆ ਕਰਹੁ ਦਇਆਲਾ
O Brahmin, you worship and believe in your stone-god, and wear your ceremonial rosary beads. Chant the Name of the Lord. Build your boat, and pray, "O Merciful Lord, please be merciful to me."||1|| (1170, mahalla 1)

The mala is around your neck, and the sacred tilak mark is on your forehead. You wear two loin cloths, and keep your head covered.
If you know God and the nature of karma, you know that all these rituals and beliefs are useless. (1353, 1)

Kabeer, what good is it to become a devotee of Vishnu, and wear four malas? On the outside, he may look like pure gold, but on the inside, he is stuffed with dust. ||145|| (1372, Kabir)

Mala in Dasam Granth

Quotes from Dasam Granth

In Dasam granth, Guru Gobind Singh is not seen carrying Mala and nowhere is he promoting using of Mala. In commencement of Chaubis Avtar, He had a jibe on Mala Carrying Hindus and Muslims by saying which means that with even mala no one can dyed in love with lord.

ਚੌਪਈ ਇਕ ਤਸਬੀ ਇਕ ਮਾਲਾ ਧਰਹੀ ਏਕ ਕੁਰਾਨ ਪੁਰਾਨ ਉਚਰਹੀ ਕਰਤ ਬਿਰੁਧ ਗਏ ਮਰ ਮੂੜਾ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੋ ਰੰਗੁ ਲਾਗਾ ਗੂੜਾ ੨੦

CHAUPAI One of them wears a Tasbi (the rosary of Muslims) and the other one wears Mala (the rosary of a Hindu); One of them recites the Quran and the other one reads Puranas; The adherents of both the religions are foolishly dying in opposing each other, And none of them is dyed in the love of the Lord.20.

22 minutes ago, N30 S!NGH said:

I study that as spiritual development, just as baby is not taught phd stuff right away just like that spirituality is bit like that, everything in stages- above discourse should be look at intial steps to draw seeker in then provide updesh from gurbani as you posted to transcend  them. Every dharam has four stages- shariat, tariqat, marfat, hakikat, contextualization and conceptualization is key. See it as stage there are no conflicts there.

Gian of gurbani is *NOT*  the missionary stuff teaches about being good person, have good morals and rest of simplistic way its about knowning who you are - our jot saroop - mool saroop- jot saroop- advai purkh- non dual aware being. So that final stages takes bit of time for many seekers. Hence, you see intial bhagti sharda updesh like that of drawing seekers in slowly in stages- bhagti, shabad and then finally gyan (its not standard for everyone as everyone is at different stage but its bit of framework older sikh spiritual orders are given to have some structure). 

Brother, personally you are free to do whatever experiment you wish to do on your life but don't enforce it into the Gurmat. 

1 minute ago, akalpurkh said:

Brother, personally you are free to do whatever experiment you wish to do on your life but don't enforce it into the Gurmat. 

It is gurmat, those stages are gurmat- ever heard of dharam khand, gyan khand, saram khand, karam khand and sachkhand?

51 minutes ago, N30 S!NGH said:

It is gurmat, those stages are gurmat- ever heard of dharam khand, gyan khand, saram khand, karam khand and sachkhand?

Yes, Going forward, the stages dharam khand, gyan khand, saram khand, karam khand and sachkhand are elaborated in Guru Granth Sahib but nowhere it says or promotes COUNTING.

Bro, why are you not understanding, the whole story started on COUNTING & when I showed you shabads from Guru Granth Sahib Ji that totally rejects the concept of Counting, you are just creating whole new stories. Why don't you just accept what's written in Guru Granth Sahib?

11 minutes ago, paapiman said:

Bro, you did not answer the question.

Do you believe in all Gurbani (Sri Aad Guru Granth Sahib jee Maharaaj, Sri Dasam Granth Sahib jee and Sri Sarabloh Granth Sahib jee and other Gurbanis)?

Bhul chuk maaf

What do you mean all Gurbani? There is only one Gurbani. 

I am a Sikh & my Guru is Guru Granth Sahib.

Just Divert, Diver & Divert.

Did you read the Shabads I posted, which totally rejects the idea of COUNTING by any means? Do you believe that we need some other Granth to validate that?

Now please answer my question. 

4 minutes ago, akalpurkh said:

What do you mean all Gurbani? There is only one Gurbani. 

I am a Sikh & my Guru is Guru Granth Sahib.

Bro, do you believe in all Gurbanis of Sri Dasam Granth Sahib jee (Sri Jaap Sahib jee, Sri Chaubis Avtaar jee, Sri Charitropakhian Sahib jee, etc).

Bhul chuk maaf

38 minutes ago, akalpurkh said:

Yes, Going forward, the stages dharam khand, gyan khand, saram khand, karam khand and sachkhand are elaborated in Guru Granth Sahib but nowhere it says or promotes COUNTING.

Bro, why are you not understanding, the whole story started on COUNTING & when I showed you shabads from Guru Granth Sahib Ji that totally rejects the concept of Counting, you are just creating whole new stories. Why don't you just accept what's written in Guru Granth Sahib?

Counting is just an aid tool out of many tools in naam simran to do encouragement comes in form of bhagti intial stages by product of intial stages in nine different types of bhagti fall under dharam khand. It's a stage not a maryada. I grew out of it as i used to do it.

@akalpurkh

Kabeer ji did not waste his life with rosary. In the beginning people are not at the state where they can do simran or rememberance of Vaheguroo without any aid. Rosary is just an aid, just like simran or kirtan to remember Vaheguroo. I do jaap with Rosary or Telly counter because without it, i end up doing nothing. Now you will say 5 banis are brahmanvad too. I do set a goal for 40 days or a month and try to finish it. For you this might be a brahamanvad, but for me it's my time well spent since I am nowhere near to be able to remember Vaheguroo ji 24/7.

Don't create blockage for beginner who are trying their best to reach a state where they won't need anything. I have read numerous times how when people do paath by counting they are doing brahamvad. Maskeen ji said in the beginning people start doing path or simran because they want something( maya) but eventually their  Kundalini rises and they start feeling the Love. You can't expect me to start climbing mountains when I am learning how to climb stairs. 

A baby takes baby steps to learn walking, he uses mothers hands and furniture to walk and eventually start walking on his own. If you can do simran and jaap without any aid, good for you. Don't discourage others.

If someone wants to do 40 sukhmani sahib in 20 days or 10 days, there is nothing wrong in it. Repetition is for our subconscious mind and everything that gets into subconscious part of the mind start becoming reality. If someone wants to carry a Rosary and Telly counter, let's not close our mind and start saying stop this, say Vaheguroo's name in your heart. Tell them great job,make sure ego won't enter in you saying I did this much amount of paath then the very whole purpose is defeated.

2 hours ago, akalpurkh said:

Mala in Adi Granth Sahib

Don't bring one tukk and start reading it outta context. Maybe it's being said that ever since he became spiritual, peace is not at home since food is not coming. 

Here it's about people who chant to show off. Pretend they are saints and should be given money. 

This is for people who never grow outta using Mala and all the ritual. When we do Sikh rituals, I can say we call God toy too. Wearing Bana, doing parikarma, goat killing in hazoor sahib, keeping kesh all of this can be ritual too if we stop looking at people's intention and their desires to meet God.

All rituals are useless when people make them their way of Life. The same is happening in sikhi too where so many rules and regulation is taking over everything. we are being so concoius about being not Brahman that we choose not to see people's intention behind their karni but we judge them and stop them from the small thing they are trying to do. I would not care about replying since you are just bringing tukk out of contexts without understanding what we are saying. I just feel bad for those beginner who feel discourage to do anything since everything they try to do is Brahmanvad. I got out of this stage but I did spent many months thinking whether I should do anything by counting or not. 

Mala in Dasam Granth

Quotes from Dasam Granth

Dhan guru gobind Singh ji maharaj needed no rosary but we manmat people do so we can have Gurmat. Again good for you if you can do jaap and simran without any aid, don't discourage others. 

1 hour ago, akalpurkh said:

SGGS Maharaj never talked about abortion, should people who get women abort their daughters have the right to do it? Common sense is important.

The shabad you provided are talking about people using Rosary to show off, always staying stuck in the rosary game and what we are explaining is that Rosary and counting is a way for people to have some Kamayi so they can reach a stage where 24/7 jaap will start inside. Baba nand Singh ji gave a vidhi where people should do certain amount of paath in 40 days. What happens when a being reach a 40 days goal, he and she says now I will increase my abhiyass since he now know how much emotional stamina he has and how much abhiyass he can do in certain amount of time. I think you are very young.

@akalpurkh A lot of these shabads have been mistranslated, like that Shabad where Kabir ji's Muslim Mother is getting angry at him for chanting Shri Ram Naam on his mala, all day.

ਹਮਾਰੇ ਕੁਲ ਕਉਨੇ ਰਾਮੁ ਕਹਿਓ ॥
Kabir's mother says - "Who has ever chanted "Ram" in our family?"
ਜਬ ਕੀ ਮਾਲਾ ਲਈ ਨਿਪੂਤੇ ਤਬ ਤੇ ਸੁਖੁ ਨ ਭਇਓ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
She continues-  "Ever since my idiot son took a mala in his hand, he has made my life miserable."

I will respond to all of them in due time.

34 minutes ago, BhagatSingh said:

I will respond to all of them in due time.

A prediction. More essays will be copied from another website and you will have to explain them too and eventually you will be so drained out with this and bhaugati thread that will give up.

@Gunahgar

You watch now how intuitive I am. 

31 minutes ago, GurpreetKaur said:

A prediction. More essays will be copied from another website and you will have to explain them too and eventually you will be so drained out with this and bhaugati thread that will give up.

@Gunahgar

You watch now how intuitive I am. 

hanji , baba ji ki jai ho

On 3/6/2016 at 11:07 PM, GurpreetKaur said:

SGGS Maharaj never talked about abortion, should people who get women abort their daughters have the right to do it? Common sense is important.

The shabad you provided are talking about people using Rosary to show off, always staying stuck in the rosary game and what we are explaining is that Rosary and counting is a way for people to have some Kamayi so they can reach a stage where 24/7 jaap will start inside. Baba nand Singh ji gave a vidhi where people should do certain amount of paath in 40 days. What happens when a being reach a 40 days goal, he and she says now I will increase my abhiyass since he now know how much emotional stamina he has and how much abhiyass he can do in certain amount of time. I think you are very young.

No offence here, tuhade Baba Nand Singh ji ne zindgi bhar Akal Takth Di Maryada nahi mani. Apni vidhian wali maryada bana ke sare Sikhan nu chakkar wich paya hoya hai.

I know its hard to accept this for you & your other mates in this forum. But Truth is Truth. Tusi mainu SIkh tan lagde ho but Guru Granth Sahib De Nahi, Baba Nand Singh de.

Zindgi bhar counting kar de rahoi, 24/7 automatic jaap vi shuru kar lo but je kise ne tuhanu puch leya ki Waheguru word te thale "Aunkar" kyun laya hai maharaj ne tusi kade das nahi paoge. I AM NOT AGAINST GURBANI ABHYAAS but just mugging-up Bani, counting & expecting some superficial results, is waste. 

Gurbani tan sikh ke apply karni si duniya te. Apni daily life style wich. Gurbani tan sandesh hai jisnu asi practice karna si apni day to day life wich.

But, tuhanu kaun samjhye? I know tuhanu eh sab cheejan hazam nahi hongiyan.

I am surprised by the type of content Sikhs are propogating on this forum. It is so sad & disappointing. 

4 minutes ago, akalpurkh said:

No offence here, tuhade Baba Nand Singh ji ne zindgi bhar Akal Takth Di Maryada nahi mani. Apni vidhian wali maryada bana ke sare Sikhan nu chakkar wich paya hoya hai.

The so-called Sri Akal Takht Sahib Maryada has errors. Do you want Sikhs to follow a flawed and incomplete document?

Bhul chuk maaf

1 minute ago, paapiman said:

The so-called Sri Akal Takht Sahib Maryada has errors. Do you want Sikhs to follow a flawed and incomplete document?

Bhul chuk maaf

Oh! so this is the point. 6th Pathshah di banayi hoyi Akal Takth(Highest Sikh Temperol Autority) wich banayi hoyi Maryada wich errors hai? Who told you this? Do you know how many years & efforts has been taken to create this Maryada?

Jis tarah tuhade Baba Nand Singh ne apni maryada banayi hai isi tarah hor Babean ne apni apni maryada bana layi hai. Sikh ne tan dubna hi hai. Koi nahi bacha sakda. 

Sade bache sanu puchange ki asi kehdi maryada follow kariye, fer daseyo bache nu ki sadi kaun de wich 250 maryada bani hoyi ae. 

I quit here. I cannot continue this discussion. Tuhanu tuhada Baba Nand Singh mubarakh.