rare pic of Guru Gobind Singh Jee

It is our fault that we have made Guru Gobind Singh jee only warrior kind of Guru. He was great at so many arts. He can be called a great family man. He has done so much in short age which we might not be able to do in 7 births. I think Sikhs should stop making Guru Gobind singh jee only soldier personality and try to bring saintly part of his personality.

Obviously this is a very recent depiction of Guru ji probably early 20th century and bears little resemblance to what he actually looked like. I doubt, for example, that he ever wore an ice-cream pink chola with gold brocade (although I can tbe sure)

The much older miniature paintings depict the Guru as I would imagine that he actually looked - a figure dressed not unlike his Akali attendants, with blue Chola, fine weapons and dumalla.

This painting is inspired, no doubt by that tradition of Victorian portrait painters who imagined the romantic in Indian subjects, and like many others of its ilk (Devinder Singh, Sobha Singh etc) alsways depict Gurus with olive brown skin and european features wearing elaborate 'princely' costumes.

aman

Obviously this is a very recent depiction of Guru ji probably early 20th century and bears little resemblance to what he actually looked like. I doubt, for example, that he ever wore an ice-cream pink chola with gold brocade (although I can tbe sure)

The much older miniature paintings depict the Guru as I would imagine that he actually looked - a figure dressed not unlike his Akali attendants, with blue Chola, fine weapons and dumalla.

This painting is inspired, no doubt by that tradition of Victorian portrait painters who imagined the romantic in Indian subjects, and like many others of its ilk (Devinder Singh, Sobha Singh etc) alsways depict Gurus with olive brown skin and european features wearing elaborate 'princely' costumes.

aman

..not to mention the sterotypical "graduation day - leaning on the fireplace" pose.

Guest Javanmard

Ever had this horrible feeling in your mouth when you have eaten too many smarties?

Same feeling when I see Sobha SIngh pictures and others of the same kind!

The worst thing about it is that we actually know what Maharaj wore but no one seems to think that this might be important!

I get particularly upset when with the pictures of the chote Sahibzade all dressed like AKJ children in uniform (jawohl mein Fuehrer). Or even the wives of Guru Gobind Singh depicted as these dastarvalian nun figures.

Well...we do have the relics of Maharaj's family and to be honest they had better taste!!!

This is what I call a much more realistic picture of Maharaj in all his grandeur and dignity:

hy32sm.jpg

Maharaj's wives wore clothes similar to this painting and please don't forget there is material proof in form of relics that they wore such clothes:

hd28sm.jpg

and if they wore dastar (and that's if for which there is absolutely no proof of) they would wear something like this:

mb73sm.jpg

It's about time we stopped imposing our bad taste on Maharaj and actually started doing some research on the way they actually dressed before putting up these ridiculous Sobha Singh pictures on our walls!!!

oh

my

goodness...

ppl. it's a friggin painting! it's art! it's someone's interpretation of what they see in the Gurus! chill with the "it's not authentic" stuff with art already! the artist tried to make point on the nature of Guru Gobind Singh Ji. mebbe the bubble-gum-pink was a bad idea. but the intention was good!

btw. nice pics shaka nyorai. where'd u get em from?

Guest Javanmard

Dear Sukhi:

1. Regarding the "intentions were good" argument let me tell you this story:

Once there was a king and this king had a servant who extremely devoted but also extremely ignorant. He told his king: O Lord I will protect you against any creature that will come near you!

One day the king was sleeping. A bee landed on his nose. The servant drew his sword and killed the bee but he also killed the king he loved so much!

There is nothing more damaging than ignorance and love is no excuse!!!

Out of ignorance mis-directed ignorant SIkhs have destroyed the SIkh religious heritage our Gurus gave us; so many aspects of Sikh culture have been destroyed because of this alliance of pyaar and ignorance!

please bear this in mind!

2. The pictures I posted came from www.exoticindiaart.com

i agree that there's nothing more damaging than ignorance. but if this is ur view, then perhaps even the paintings that u speak so highly of should be considered phony as well, cuz i'm pretty sure that no artist, however hard they may try, would be able to ecompass our Gurus' image on a canvas.

if it's a case of ignorance, then we really shouldn't be paying attn to any sort of paintings, sketches, or drawings because no matter how hard we try, we can never know if what we're looking at is the authentic image of whoever is being portrayed and no matter how hard the artist tries, i'm pretty sure that he/she'd never be able to get things down exactly the way they are.

thanks for the website. imma check it out. been lookin for something to put up on my walls lately. i think miss ragini and her fellow attendants are gettin a lil lonely up on the walls.

The 'bubble-gum' pink chola reminded me of a quote from Sarah Lloyd's biog "An Indian Attachment" when an Udasi Baba enters the dera and she comments "Only a Sikh can wear ice cream pink from head to toe and still look like a man"

(That was from memory but you get the gist)

I get particularly upset when with the pictures of the chote Sahibzade all dressed like AKJ children in uniform (jawohl mein Fuehrer)

lalleshwari you find every oppurtunity to insult or somehow put blame onto AKJ...no matter how much paath you may do...how much sewa you may do...it is futile if you cant have some prem towards your fellow sikhs or even human beings for that matter.

I dont believe Guru Ji's wives looked like that. On the website you mentioned it made no mention of Guru Ji looking like that. You have given no factual evidence for your statements...Just shown a bunch of paintings by a hindu guy on a website and trying to` convince us this is what our Guru looked like.

I think nearly every jatha apart from this newly concocted so called sanatan sikhi will agree that dastaar does no mean a 3rd gender. The Damadami Taksal can trace their lineage to Baba Deep Singh Ji. Many of their women wear dastaar. Im sure theydont consider themselves to be a 3rd gender.

and also..lallesh.. you were talking about ignorance being the devil, basically..

but are you not showing ignorance by showing no acceptance for the devotion and priorities that those "AKJ kids" show?? or are you going to tell us that "Those AKJ Kids" are all forced to love their Guru?

i ain't akj.. i don't agree with everything they do.. but get past the Hating stage and start spreading Guru's word.. you show so muich knowledge, and you misuse it here... grow up bro, emotionally, i mean..... for as long as i remember, you've done an excellent job spreading hate, and a futile job (maybe due to a lack of attempt) to demonstrate proper love for your proper sikhs...

guess what... you're actually NO authority to say who's a sikh or not, so why don't you just sit down, and accept Guru's Hukam as to who's sikh or not.. "Those AKJ Kids" are sikhs whether you wanna cry about it or not, so start showing some love brother...

this is for all of us... i take it out on lallesh because he's the one who said it last.. but freaking hell man, it's time we all start prioritizing... what the blood is TRULY important? superiority or understanding...

i know these attempts are futile, and i'm not even gonna bother responding to lalleshvaris or narsingha's or jtsingh's or sukhi_v's or jassa's or amandeepm's anyone elses comments......... it's not an arguement, it's just a benti man... if we had more love for each other..... man.. how does it not make people close to tears when we step back and look at how LITTLE love we have for one another... how much progress we've missed out on because so many of us insist that we're better than the next...

just think about it...please...

Guest Javanmard

I will not get into a 3rd gender argument again as most people fail to have the necessary knowledge of primary sources to be able to judge this issue. I have given plenty of links to academic references to the past but it seems that some people either can't read or refuse to read (which is worse).

If you guys don't wish to admit facts: good for you! Ignorance is bliss as ome people say!

Was it AKJ love that lead them to kill old Nihangs in the 80's? Was it love that led them to bomb airplanes? Is it love that makes them disrespect gurbani, kirtan and raags?

Go and teach someone else about love my friend!

Was it love that led them to bomb airplanes?

why single out AKJ here...what about the whole jujharoo movement in punjab...no mention of that.

you have a single vendetta against them...

Im not even AKJ but even though i disagree on beliefs with them i still maintain they are a panthic organisation with alot to offer the panth. Look at Bhai Jeevan Singh, look at Shaheed Bhai Fauja Singh...look at Bhai Joginder Singh Talwara...great sikhs who have done alot for the panth...

whereas all you can do is sit on the internet and do nindya.GROW UP!

Guest Sardar Moderator Singh

Dear All,

AGAIN, please refrain from letting this slip into a discussion on jathabandis -start a new thread for such matters.

Any further comments should be supported with necessary logical argument and references where applicable please.

Thanking you all.