The Word "Jaat" in Bani Means race, background, ca

Hi all,

Long time since I posted here, so rather than post what I was discussing on another forum, I thought I'd stick a link here and ask your opinion................thanks.......

http://www.sikh-history.com/cgi-bin/Ultima...ic;f=1;t=001825

Sangat Ji,

I thought I’d raise a very interesting and perplexing topic....................

I was in another discussion forum where a fellow claims that he does not believe in caste............but in the same breath this fellow claims to be a true Sikh of the Khalsa and also believes in racial differences amongst Sikhs..............................??????!!!!!

This is odd...............does the word Jaat not mean race, creed, ethnicity, social status, sex etc?

Did not Guru Nanak Dev Ji say

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 349, Line 13 -- Guru Nanak Dev

Recognize the Lord`s Light within all, and do not consider social class or status; there are no classes or castes in the world

hereafter. ||1||Pause||

jaanhu jot na poochhahu jaatee aagai jaat na hay. ||1|| rahaa-o.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My take on this is that castists are trying their best to twist Gurbani to suit their own needs............

...........what these idiotic castists do not realsie is that our Guru’s were wise to that.............that is why they used the catch-all word “Jaatâ€............to catch these castists out..............

What is the forums view on this?

1) Can you differentiate between caste , race, ethnicity etc in the context of Sikhism?

2) Is there a sinister campaign by castists to undermine Sikhism?

3) Can you believe in racial difference’s amongst Sikhs and still be a Sikh?