domestic violence - awful

Nihal_Kaur

Its a sad story but unfortunately all to common amomgst the sikh/indian community. I think the women in such situations need to walk out and the sikh community should provide support agencies to help them escape such abusive relationships.

in the uk there are asian womens refuges which could be used as a model to start such an undertaking. i think there is also a need to create awareness such things do exist where women can escape to safely. also the stigma behind qalking out of such a relationship needs to be overcome and the sikh community needs to realise that domestic violence is not something to keep covered up.

i think there is also a need to educate people, men and women, on the value of women in society. i think women also need to realise that they should not put up with such behaviour for the sake of 'repect' of the family.

i think it shouldn't be too difficult to get government financing for such a project, in the uk at least anyway. can't see many gurudwara supporting such a project due to the male dominance and wishes to ignore the subject.