Sufi teaching 3

tSingh

Shakir Amali

People seek teachers and teaching in order to find something that they do not know already. In reality, however, teachers and teachings exist to help people to apply and practice not to amuse or give experience that must be new.

Since men in general do not know this, it is not surprising that they do not know what they have found, and try to find what is of no use to them.

It is also possible that things which seem ‘new’ to people are the last things that they need for the purpose of improving them.

You will know the seeker of sensations because he is attracted by the new or mysterious. You will know the real student because he seeks whatever there is to be found.

• 3 weeks later...

People seek teachers and teaching in order to find something that they do not know already. In reliayt, however, teachers and teachings exist to help people to apply and practice not to amuse or give experience that must be new.

Since men in general do not know this, it is not surprising that they do not know what they have found, and try to find what is of no use to them.

It is also possible that things which seem ‘new’ to people are the last things that they need for the purpose of improving them.

You will know the seeker of sensations because he is attracted by the new or mysterious. You will know the real student because he seeks whatever there is to be found.

read this 5 times... and im even more confused them i was when i read it the first time....

:roll:

not to worry...

the subject is 'spiritual materialism' or more specifically satisfying the desirous intrigues of the mind through the pursuel of inner mysteries.

There are seekers who get a buzz out of the new, the obscure, the mysterious, the exciting. The author is pointing out that such a person is as blinded by pleasure-sensation as a non-seeker. It is a psychological hedonism.

It is a theme that arises in buddhist writings a lot about going off wandering for years to find yourself back where you started, and that the truth was there all along, but this desire for the new drove you away from it!

Using the metaphor of knowledge, the student (sikh) who is clear on and understands the real topic of study, seeks what is to be learned. The one blinded by intellectual desire seeks the 'interesting' ignoring the real learning.

Hope that's less cryptic

my word, a serious mugermuch. this is too much

nothing wrong in trying to understand some pearls of wisdom now... tsk tsk tsk... no need to highlight how weird it is seein croccy bein serious. :P

newho. what i found really interesting (for lack of a better word to describe what i felt since i'm not a morning person) is that when people think that they've got an interest in religion/spirituality/whatever doesn't necessarily take them to what they think they're looking for. makes you question whether you really do what you do because you're interested in attaining the ultimate goal or just because you THINK that's what you want.

am i makin sense? this stuff is way too twisted to explain clearly right now. argh... must sleep...

It is a theme that arises in buddhist writings a lot about going off wandering for years to find yourself back where you started, and that the truth was there all along, but this desire for the new drove you away from it!

Thanks.

my word, a serious mugermuch. this is too much

Ah crap, its out... good thing that many people dont visit thise section...

btw, i read most of your posts, they are very interesting and inspiring, i just dont comment cos i would probably ruin your posts. :)