Respecting Gurbani

Do you think a person who does not respect Gurbani can be a sikh?  

9 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure

After the post on the skhs in the city programme, views have been expressed that sikhi is a personal opnion and that sikhi cannot be disrespected in any way or any form. I want to find out if this is the general view and if in fact i am fundamentally wrong in my beliefs, as i believe that respecting Gurbani is a fundamental aspect of being a sikh

why does there have to always be a right or wrong way ?

Why black and white?

Why not grey? (ie personal spirituality - depending on the circumstances).

On a personal level i think people get mistaken about what Gurbani is there for.

It is there for our benefit - ie to improve our lives - WE NEED IT - IT DOESNT NEED US!

Why do you do good deeds - its not to make the guru happy - he doesnt need your deeds, it effects your own peace of mind. DOING GOOD THINGS IS FOR YOUR OWN BENEFIT.

Spirituality is the key to happiness, gurbani is a tool which gets you there. ITs a gift.

People have turned this beutiful gift into a BURDEN by extrapulating 'rules' and 'regulations' of how a person should do this and that, the deeper meaning of bani is compromised when this is done.

Respecting bani is very important - not for the benefit of the bani - but your own benefit !

Rupsingh - if you are right or wrong in your fundemental beliefs - does it matters - are the beliefs really yours - you will find after back tracking that they are not. The environment around you has shaped your mind - you have formed your beliefs based on enviroment.

who cares about beliefs? They are not yours are they ? - let go of everything! - live! - be alive! Do what helps your life!

why does there have to always be a right or wrong way ?

Why black and white?

Why not grey? (ie personal spirituality - depending on the circumstances). !

The first point u raised is easy to understand, Religion is there to show us the difference between right and wrong!! Bani tells us the difference and whichpath too choose. Too many people rely on the grey area to cover shortcomings of their own, to justify there own shortfalls.

On a personal level i think people get mistaken about what Gurbani is there for.

It is there for our benefit - ie to improve our lives - WE NEED IT - IT DOESNT NEED US! !

On this point u are right, Bani does not need us we need Gurbani.

Why do you do good deeds - its not to make the guru happy - he doesnt need your deeds, it effects your own peace of mind. DOING GOOD THINGS IS FOR YOUR OWN BENEFIT. !

Doing good deeds is not for my peace of mind, it is to tread on the path that will merge us with god, not taht we can sleep better at night!

Spirituality is the key to happiness, gurbani is a tool which gets you there. ITs a gift.

People have turned this beutiful gift into a BURDEN by extrapulating 'rules' and 'regulations' of how a person should do this and that, the deeper meaning of bani is compromised when this is done. !

Does that mean that Guru Gobhind Singh ji made a mistake, when he wrote a rehat for sikhs, and said sikhs are not important but the rehat, the rules and regulations of the khalsa ARE MORE IMPORTANT!!. Also Mahapurakhs like Baba nand Singh And Sant Baba Isher Singh Ji spent their entire lifes living their lifes by the regulations of sikhi. Why did they have to do so much bundagee and path? Baba Nand Singh ji set rules for the sewa of SGGS Ji. Are u saying they placed a burden on us, A MISTAKE! Dasan das if u agree with this like u said, you have failed to grasp an understanding, of what these great Mahapurakhs stood for and more fundamentally what sikhi stands for!

who cares about beliefs? They are not yours are they ? - let go of everything! - live! - be alive! Do what helps your life!

i think the above statement plays perfectly into eat drink and be merry, who has seen the next life! id rather live by by the sikhi rehat and the teachings of Mahapurakhs distinguishing between black and white and not living in the grey!

all i gotta say is repecting gurbani is important but ppl jus do it in different ways. some express it others dnt. respect is something from the heart. ur connection to gurbani is ur own it is unique, but like harpreet sed I*E=U

i agree with you fully lion king, it was a point which i would never have thought anyone would need to question, But as harpreet and dassan das have shown no ideal or principle is safe as more. Indeed as harpreet points out rules burden us, tomorrow sikhs will say, why keep our hair, why keep rehat at all its just a burden!!!

I think Gurbani is soul of Sikh Religion. If you don't respect Guru Ki Bani, you are no Sikh.

A GurSikh needs to repsect Gurbani but that doesn't mean that you need to burden yourself with reciting it 24 hours.

For a Gursikh a family/community is as important as Guru or Gurbani.

You need to balance out everything.

I totally agree Rups. The Conclusion to this topic is then to respect Gurbani because if you show no respect towards it you cannot love it & without love it remains meaningless. You show respect towards your parents because you love them, the same principle applies towards Gurbani, it offers more than your parents will ever be able to offer so how much respect do you show? The answer is you can never show enough respect.