RED AND GREEN, Anti - Sikhs Colours!!!!

Lol, i heard something quite funny,

RED and GREEN, not allowed to wear these colopurs according to Taksal. :shock:

Just wanted to know why?

and also, my Chacha is Blind, does it affect him. 8)

And im colourblind, so red is same as black. (Joke, not colourblind, not yet) :(

Is this not a Brahmin thing not to wear certain colours? :twisted: :evil:

nah thats rite...

altho i dnt follow it....

a sikh is only really allowed to wear 4 colours...

Neela - like the royal blue.

Kesri - the orangey colour

white - for purity

black -dno y this

its written by guru gobind singh ji...ill try and get the quotes...

but this has been told to me by quite a few sants and Giani Ji's

basically what it is, is that different colours hae differen`t effects on the mind...

i dont think its a hard and fast rule...more that we should refrain from wearing them when possible...

colours like red influence the mind with kaam...or anger...

sorry i dont know the exact details...

but one thing veerji...

i mean absolutely no offense when i say this...

but when you hear sumthing...u should try and find out properly about it before ridiculing it...

maybe you didnt mean to, and if thats the case then im truly sorry...

but i just felt like you were laughing at it...again sorry if thats not the case...

the mind has a tendancy to laugh at things which dont seem rational at first....do sum research...find out why it was said...and den if u dont agree laugh all u want...its ur judgement...

but yeh its true...certain colours are refrained in sikhi

oh and its nt jus according to Taksal....taksal follow proper rehit, and are traced to the times of Guru gobind singh ji...

i can assure you that they have no pointless rules...

sants like sant kartar singh bhinderawale and sant gurbachan Singh Bhinderawale...

if anything was "funny" about their rules, tehy would have them taken out...

we are not on the level to comprehend every action taken by Guru Ji....especially not to laugh at them when we dont have any of the facts.

fateh - i aint saying the taksaal is wrong or anything - but ive heard in a lecture from prof darshan singh that we are allowed to wear any colour we wish - sikhi is not about blind rituals like not wearing certain colours

BUT the main colours - kesri - neela - wihte do represent a sikhs status in a way

for example - sant jarnail singh bhindrawale always wore a blue dastaar - only near 1984 when he knew it was his time to die did he wear a orange dastaar - he used to say "i will wear this and i will not be able to take it off again" (something along those lines) the kesri dastaar was a symbol of his upcomin sacrifice

the main principles of sikhi are set out... i dont think people should be made confused by these minor things such as wat colour they can and cannot wear

fateh

yes sikhs should not wear green or red.

i think there might be 2 reasons......1stly it incites passion....and isnt green and red the muslim and hindoo colours (i mite b wrong?)

yes guru gobind singh also wore green once. but then he had to take his keski off so he wasnt stabbed! and he did clearly say that you shouldnt roam bareheaded.....but if ur lifes in danger u can make a exception.

bhindranwale wore a saffron turban and clothes one would wear to a wedding because he offered himself to the police for arrest and said he was going to wed his wife, death.

dont get too sure that taksal rehit is perfect....theres alot of evidence that has been uncovered now that keski could have been the kakkar and alot of so called kesh evidence is found 2 b fake...if u want me to give some ill start a new thread.

yeh i believe keski kakkar too...

but i wont press my ideas on one who dont believe it....

at the end of the day...they can only follow what akal takhat say...so who are we to argue...none of us can say we know more...

but with regards to those that questioned this red and green stuff...

all i can say is go and research it...im trying to, and ive heard that its in a book of rehitnameh...

its not jus in the taksal rehit...its in a rehitnama issued by guru ji...

and i dnt knw bout guru ji wearing green...i knw he dressed as a faqir, but i never heard he wore green...

things like this wouldnt b a problem today if sikhs has kept their history and heritage together...

well, with enemies like aurangzeb and govt of india, its easier sed den dun....

Fateh Ji.

Firstly, i would just like to thank people for thier response. :)

From what i understand, the colour that we want attached to us is that of love. Depending on the context it can mean something else.

If the guru has said something, with Mahraj's kirpa we may or maynot understand it, if we do, again with Mahraj's Kirpa, we may or may not be able to implement it.

What i really dont understand is that how does a colour make us do something. Surely it must be the mind. Everything is attached to this mind, and the mind is what makes you thin of lust etc..., not the colour.

So to say to one person not to wear red or green or to only wear these colours, i think that is a bit Braministic view.

Sorry if i havn't offened any1.

look paaji, goreh call it ridiculous when we think of things like reincarnation, or when we think of nou nidh and the dasam duarh...

thats because of ignorance...

you sound to me exactly like them....because you havnt gone and looked up...

it may well be that this is not from guru ji, although many credible sources have told me its from a rehitnama written by Guru Ji...

what if it is written by guru ji??

would you have laughed the same way if you were told it was from Guru Ji?

you made a valid point about us not understanding everything due to our manmut....dont ruin it by laughing at something of which little research has been done..

im doing my best to find out the exact place this was written...but being in the middle of exams its proving quite hard...

bhull chukk khimmaa

Also

Jassa you said

you sound to me exactly like them....because you havnt gone and looked up...

Um.. i thought that one of the resons for a forum is to ask questions, i also thought it might be quicker to ask a question on the net and see if some1 else has looked it up, rather than spending ages going through books.

Im sure that im not the nly one who finds it odd/funny that we cant wear red or green.

fateh ji - i deleted the first part to jassa's message because it was more of a attack then a reply

everyone here is here to learn and spread their knowledge - now not everyone has the same knowledge so please refrain from attacking someone in such a way by calling them ignorant

if u feel that someone is not sayin the right thing then reply with politness and direct them to the truth - no one wants to cause friction here so lets keep it clean

fateh :D

sorry ji...

ur rite...dat was out of order and too harsh...

sorry singh!!

d only problem i really had is laughing over it...it doesnt present a good image...

and yeah...forums are for questions...and im tryin get evidence for you...but i have to wait for a book to cum available...

and im sure there are others who may laugh but really veerji...it doesnt make it rite...

sorry again...

wahguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ke fateh...

fateh ji - its cool - dont let it happen again :P:P lol

i watched that "in the footsteps of guru gobind singh ji"

and the muslim armys were wearin red and green...

maybe this has something to do with it

and if u go to the damdami taksal website - theres a section whcih was written by sant jarnail singh bhindrawale - the rehat maryaada - "the 4 colours of khalsa" but the link is not working..... its still gotta be translated into english

so im waitin to read that :D

fateh

DamDami Taksal was created from the incidence, which occurred when the tenth master, Guru Gobind Singh was at Takht Sri Anandpur Sahib. At that time, a beloved priest was reciting the Panj Granth with sincerity. Whilst reciting the gurbani he made one continuous mistake in the Dachanee Onkar path. This was noticed by Bhai Daya Singh Ji, and other Sikh followers, who then approached the tenth master saying 'Oh great one, bestow your blessings upon your followers and teach us the way to read and understand the Gurbani without which we do not stand corrected.'

When ever the beloved followers put a request forward to the Guru Ji he would never disregard the congregations wishes. Once free from the battles, proceeding after his sacrificed sons (4 Shahejade), who gave there lives away for there religion, Guru Ji went on to Talwandi and asked of the Singhs to 'go to Kartarpur Sahib to see Theer Mal. When the fifth master, Guru Arjan Dev Ji was reciting the gurbani, he left a space for where the Ninth Guru was to complete it. Whilst getting the Guru Granth Sahib Ji complete the translations shall be explained.'

Shaheed Baba Deep Singh Ji went to see Teer Mal, and replied if Guru Gobind Singh Ji is so great why cannot he recite the gurbani off by heart. To make Teer Mal eat his words Guru Ji went to Takht Sri Dam Dama Sahib Sabho Ke Talwandi, to then recite the whole of the Guru Granth Sahib Ji with the aid of Bhai Mani Singh being the scriber. With so much swiftness at that very day the Jap Ji Sahib, reheraas Sahib and the Kirtan Sohila was concluded, and that very evening, it was all translated to the congregation. This began the process of writing, reading and translating of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, to the 48 followers and the congregation. The papers, pens and ink were supplied with great homage by Baba Deep Singh Ji. It took 9 months 9 days from 1762 until 1763 to complete the whole of the translation from Ik Onkar to Attarehi Das Bees. Where at the ending of the Guru Ji's teaching, a large ceremony took place which left the whole Sikh nation astonished by Guru seva.

From hearing the translation from the Guru Ji (10th), the 48 followers gained devine knowledge (Brahm Giaan) which left them detached from all material status. Guru Ji gave permission to Bhai Manni Singh and Baba Deep Singh Ji to take forward this seva and teach others there learnings. Even if your bodys are cut into pieces or your head is removed from your body, you will remain focused to your devine knowledge.

Guru Ji sent Bhai Mani Singh to Amritsar and sent Baba Deep Singh Jee to Taksal Damdama Sahib to run The Taksal's teachings. Both Taksals have been running with the blessings of the divine knowledge of great saints (refer to historical tree) who have taught the Guru Jee preaching's one by one. From Baba Deep Singh onwards the chain of Jathedars of DamDami Taksal has never broken. As now the Jathedar of DamDami Taksal is Sant Giani Jarnail Singh Ji Khalsa Bhindrawale, acting Jathedar Sant Baba Takhur Singh Ji.

• 1 year later...

well crap...god is gonna be pissed at me...

Cause I have many clothes those colors...hell I've even worn those colors in conjunction with each other...

I don't mean to laugh at this, but how will this affect my spirituality? Am I a bad person because I decided to volunteer at the hospital last year on Christmas wearing a red sweater and a green shirt underneath?(Christmas colors..hehe).

chill people

laal gopaal gobind prabh jehr gambiir athath

and

har ka naam diyayyiee ke hohu harieea paiyee

meditate on gods name and your insides will become green ( a similie maharaj uses 2 tel we we become green like a fresh and viberrant field )

thats all i know

and apart from that chill live life and love god

the merciful will 4give u 4 waring green

there are more deeper spiritual things to pay attention to in your life colour of clothes is minor

peace

isnt it lal gopaal gobind prabh.. Gehr gambir athah ?

but i agree with the baba who gives two shizzles what colour your wear when you dead those colours wont go with you.

And those of you who may say yes but certain colours will effect your spirituality.. blah blah.. man no offense but do any of you know to what kind of subtle conciousness the role of colour has an effect on. Shoot those who know and can feel the effects of colours have such a subtle conciousness (higher conciousness) that they wouldnt even be online coz the damn radiation from the monitors would be screwing heavily with thier subtle conciousness.

from what i heard....that red and green was the colours of the uniforms of the mughul solldiers so that's why sikhs refrained from wearing those colours....it make sense...you don't wanna accidently kill the wrong person in war...

other than that...i don't see any harm in wearing red or green...that said...i have preference of wearing blue for some reason...

i was talking to some guy and he's wa all about the colours saying that "no gursikh could wear red or green...it jus wouldn't be possible"...now that made me laugh cuz i've seen plenty of gursikhs who've worn green turbans and stuff....

i highly doubt guru ji is gonna care about the colours of your dastar or if it was a so-called Gurmukhi dastar (courtesty of tapoban)...guru ji cares about one thing : Gobind bhao bhagat da bhukha...

now i'm not saying not to follow rehit...guru ji cares about rehit...but this stuff should ONLY serve in helping you go inwards and concentrating on God....