Bend It Like Beckham - IMDB forum

giani_g

“Check any Snaskrit grammar: napumsak means both nu-manly and 3rd gender!!! Kusra is just one type of third gender!!!â€

I don’t need to check any Sanskrit grammer or dictionary of what it means, simply because anyone who comes from India knows that Napunsik means namard. It’s common knowledge man...

The word for third gender in Sanskrit is 'tritia lengikaa' not napunsik

“Instructions of Kok shastar are referred in gurbani and Sikhs were asked to master this art in order to control Kaam. Kaamshastar is about controlling Kaam. Repressing it makes you sick, indulging it makes you a slave, mastering it makes you it's master!â€

When did our Gurus say to indulge in lust like Kaamdev(God of lust)? Please provide Gurbani tukhs proving that our Gurus said for us to indulge in perverted sexual acts, if not then please don’t use Sikhi to justify perversion.

Guest Javanmard

your understanding of the Sanskrit word napumsaka (napumsik in Panjabi) is colloquial and only retains one of the many original meanings in Sanskrit. If you wish to check: http://www.danam.co.uk/Sanskrit/Sanskrit%2.../17%20Index.pdf

Kaamshastar is mentioned in Guru Gobind Singh's bani. This might contradict your understanding of all things erotic but I see no contradiction between learning Kaamshastar and controlling Kaam.

You say that Kaamshastar is "sexual perversion" which is simply not what it is. Learning Kaamshastar and indulging in perverted acts are two totally different things. In fact the Kaamshastar clearly admonish people against sexually perverted practises. Making love to one's wife is not perversion.

I have no tukhs of the Gurus telling us to indulge in perversion but I have given you plenty of tukhs referring to Kaamshastar which is not the same.

If you still confuse both it's not my problem!!!

I'm not the one who is confused.

1.YOu have your view of what 'napuomsaa(i)kaa' means and I have my view of what Napunsik means. In India it's almost an everyday word, mostly used in anger or fighting in order to offend another person. So I would not even need a dictionary to understand such words as they are simply part of the everyday language.

2.Where does it say in the Gurus bani that his Sikh should learn Kaam Shastar, and be lustful like Kaamdev? providing Tukhs would be helpful.

Guest Javanmard

1. It's not my view or your view. Your understanding and my understanding depend on our linguistic understanding. You are right in saying that napumsak means impotent in colloquial speach but I am not reffering to colloquial speech but classical terminology. Yours is correct in so far as it is the man is street's understanding of the word but gurbani demands the knowledge of classical languages as Guru Gobind Singh's darbar was the epitome of Indian classical culture in its Braj form.

2. Why do you keep on saying that Kaamdeva is lustful? Do you actually know that Vatsyayana was a chaste saint? Gian Ratnavali mentions Kaamshastar as one of the form of knowledge to be learnt by Sikhs.Charitropakhyan also mentions it as necessary knowledge and in fact it clearly says that a husband who does not satisfy his wife is not a a man: in order to do so you need kaamshastar. As grahistis it is our duty to learn how to perform our marital duties. Your form of thinking is ok for sadhus (and there is nothing wrong in that) but most Sikhs are not sadhus but grahistis. Kaamshastar is the art of mastering Kaam: not the way of perversion.

1. correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't Gurbani written in the language of the everyday man so it would be easier for them to understand? that is one of the main reason of why it was not in a classical language such as Sanskrit, but rather it was written in a mix of Punjabi, Hindi, Braj, Farsi.

2.Kaamdev is well-known for his lust hence the name 'kaamdev'. He was burnt to ashes by Shiva because he dared to evoke Kaam in Shiva for Parvati. He was notorious for disturbing the minds of men doing meditation, like he did to Shiva. Is it any wonder that Guru Jee has included Kaam as one of the five evils we must free ourselves from through bani and naam.

Guest Javanmard

1.The main language of the Adi Guru Granth Sahib is Sadhu Bhasha, a medievla koine NOT the language of the everyday man. Surely any Panjabi or Hindi speaker would be able to grasp a lot of it but many words are outside the realm of the everyday man.

The word rajai means "blanket" for the "everyday man" but in Japu Ji Sahib it derives from the Arabic ridha or riza "pleasure" of God. Braj isn't every man's language either. For both languages you need a good understanding of Sanskrit grammar which is exactly what Sant Sundar Singh Bhindranvale did.

2. The same Shiva who burnt Kaamdeva to ashes is the one who spent 10.000 years making love to Parvati on mount Kailash! He did it because he, Shiva controlled his desire instead of desire controlling him.