Was Guru Nanak Dev ji muslim?

Hmm, Rikki veer. Yes, you are right that it is a topic which is of little relevance to Sikhism, but i would not be doing anyone any favors if i let the misinformation go unchallenged.

Rajputs and Jatts make up a large bulk of the Punjabi Muslim population. All of the major Rajput clans of Punjab (Wattu, Bhatti, Chauan, Tiwana etc) are almost all exclusively Muslim. Most converted by choice, not by force. Then you will come across Punjabi Muslims identifying themselves as "Sheikhs" who are of Khatri origin (Khanna, Sodhi, Soni, Bedi, Kapoor etc).

Khatris who converted have on the whole given up their family name for a Turkish, Persian, Arabic etc ones although for some Rajputs and Jatts which converted they retained their original names which is why you are more likely to come across a 'Sandhu' who is Muslim than a Muslim 'Khanna'.

Anyway, much of Punjab's converts were drawn to Islam due to missionary activity by Sufis. Others, (such as Rajputs) received material and other benefits of becoming a Muslim (Women, money, placement in the army etc). People converted for their own greed...

I can think of only during times of Aurangzeb where forced conversions became a real issue, prior to that non-Muslims were simply taxed (Jaziya) or killed (eg invasions of Ghaznavi).

Also, note that Punjab state in India has i think the highest population of "low-castes" in that country. Something like 33% of Punjab is classified as belonging to "scheduled caste". On the other hand Rajput community is tiny, hardly noticeable. This should indicate something to you about which of the Punjabis converted to Islam...

Beast - I believe Shah Jahan's mother may have been a Hindu by birth, i'll double check on that. During reign of Akbar many Hindu Rajputs were in his harem. Akbar was the first Muslim ruler to even allow them to practice their religion within the palace..

And yes, high-ranking Rajputs freely gave their daughters away to Mughals. In return the Mughals allowed them some autonomy for being the king of their village or whatever LOL.

I find this funny.... "simply taxed or killed" Do u mean to say that the people who were killed were not the one who refused to convert to Islam

can think of only during times of Aurangzeb where forced conversions became a real issue, prior to that non-Muslims were simply taxed (Jaziya) or killed (eg invasions of Ghaznavi).

I disagree with you Jahan.... I can't say that we sikhs came from muslim....99.999% of the sikhs came from hindus since muslims and their religion are harsh. Probably less than 1% of the hindus who converted into muslim was reconverted into hindus and sikhs during Guru Nanak ji's times..... i came from hindu origin and not muslim....even we were discussing this in the langar last month.....none of the sikhs agree that we came from muslims... we have got similar names.... Rajputs are kshatrus...so they won;t give their daughters to the mughals....

Guru Nanak dev ji came from kshatriyas and not katri...i confirmed it from the web and my relatives.

Khanna is from rajasthan origin...and hence kshatriya..i know the family...none of them are sikhs....and hence you can't say that khanna, kapoor, sandhu, soni etc are from khatri-muslims....wrong.

My middle name is Singh....it's bullshit to link my name or my family to the beast- khatri.

Punjab is probably the only state which has less population at that time...a minority unsuccessfully converted into islam...

Guru Arjan dev, Gobind Singh ji, etc....didn't come from Khatri families....

Anyway I am tired with all these things.....

Sat sri kal

I find this funny.... "simply taxed or killed" Do u mean to say that the people who were killed were not the one who refused to convert to Islam

And whats funny? Under reign of Aurangzeb yes im sure those killed were the ones who refused to convert to Islam. During invasions of warlords such as Ghaznavi, those killed were killed just for the sake of it... Invaders like him came to loot and rape the people, not to rule over and convert them.

Rikki - You've obviously not understood my post, and please double check on where you are getting your info from. We'll leave it at that unless you want to carry this on.

• 15 years later...
On 5/12/2003 at 10:02 PM, Grewal said:

This is the cloak Guru Nanak's used to wear You can clearly see, even for the fact that some of the writings are a bit smudgy, not obliterated, but do not have the same quality as they had previously, but they are legible. So anybody who is interested can see - Surah Fatiha (from the Holy Qur'an) written on it, La ilaha ilialah Muhamadar Rasoolullah and no verse of any other book is mentioned there at all.

Those who believe that he mixed religions, like Akbar attempted to do, that he took something from Hinduism, something from Islam and as such he molded a new religion, that Chola stands as witness against them.

There is nothing but Islam mentioned on the Chola. So these are the reasons why we believe that Sikhism is a continuity of Islam, a sect in Islam which was a Sufi sect but, unfortunately, because of the political fights with the so called Muslim government of the time they were thrown apart and the more they went into the political fights for the supremacy in Punjab against the Moghul Empire, the more they started drifting away from the religion of Islam until they began to hate it.

HE WAS A MUSLIM BECAUSE:

He use to pray 5 times a day. (?Five times he prays, he read the book of Quran ?p37?)

He recites Quran which he use to carry in his pothi (a satchel)

There is also a tradition in Janam Sakti that he preformed pilgrimage to Mecca.

His first Murshid (spiritual teacher) was a Muslim. (Sheikh Faridra)

In Nanak we see reflection of Muslim FAQIRS (not of Hindu SÃDHUS)

His cloak inscribed with Quranic verses is a true witness.

His own words speaks of himself ?I am thankful to God of Glorious Throne that I am a Momin?

HE WAS NOT A HINDU BECAUSE:

"Guru Nanak Ji studied the Vedas and Shastras seriously and deeply but gave them up as being unimpressive." (Nuskha Akhbar Dyanandian p. 197.)

"Guru Nanak Ji never professed the authenticity of Vedas with any respect or reverence like the other followers of Vedas, nor did he believe that the Vedas are Divine books, nor he considered that the contents of Vedas could teach lofty virtues of truthfulness and honesty." (Guru Sat Dershan . p.91)

Guru Nanak Ji refuted and rejected the Vedas by describing them as creators of crisis (trouble shooters) preachers of sin, stores of material greed and the teachings of which drive one farther away from God. He dubbed their adherents as followers of dictates of mind, eligible to punishment at the hands of the Angel of Death and liars of the first rate. " (Khara Khalsa p. 11

There are so many examples that clearly shows that he was not a Hindu. Who?s left?? The Muslims

Grewal,  your post is just a big bunch  of lies. 

Just 2 points for you to be considered.

1st) Of course Guru Nanak was not a muslim, though muslims can devote  themselves as per Sikhee and derive some goodness as human beings first, then, become worthy of worshipping God.

2nd) If there is anyone muslim here, it is you, howsoever  you may undercover  yourself as Grewal .

You are a wolf,  trying in covering yourself with the skin of a lion.

You are just the perfect example of a popular saying, which says: Howsoever a monkey may dress itself with silk, yet monkey it remains. 

Grewal, may Guru Nanak bless you with a lot of shame , and a bit of sincereity, in order to become first a good human being.

SSA.

Daas found this beautiful shabad on Ang 1136

ਭੈਰਉ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥

Bhairo Mehalaa 5 ||

Bhairao, Fifth Mehl:

ਭੈਰਉ (ਮਃ ੫) ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅੰਗ ੧੧੩੬

ਵਰਤ ਨ ਰਹਉ ਨ ਮਹ ਰਮਦਾਨਾ ॥

Varath N Reho N Meh Ramadhaanaa ||

I do not keep fasts, nor do I observe the month of Ramadaan.

ਭੈਰਉ (ਮਃ ੫) (੩) ੧:੧ - ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੧੧੩੬ ਪੰ. ੯
Raag Bhaira-o Guru Arjan Dev

ਤਿਸੁ ਸੇਵੀ ਜੋ ਰਖੈ ਨਿਦਾਨਾ ॥੧॥

This Saevee Jo Rakhai Nidhaanaa ||1||

I serve only the One, who will protect me in the end. ||1||

ਭੈਰਉ (ਮਃ ੫) (੩) ੧:੨ - ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੧੧੩੬ ਪੰ. ੯

ਏਕੁ ਗੁਸਾਈ ਅਲਹੁ ਮੇਰਾ ॥

Eaek Gusaaee Alahu Maeraa ||

The One Lord, the Lord of the World, is my God Allah.

ਭੈਰਉ (ਮਃ ੫) (੩) ੧:੧ - ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੧੧੩੬ ਪੰ. ੯

ਹਿੰਦੂ ਤੁਰਕ ਦੁਹਾਂ ਨੇਬੇਰਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

Hindhoo Thurak Dhuhaan Naebaeraa ||1|| Rehaao ||

He adminsters justice to both Hindus and Muslims. ||1||Pause||

ਭੈਰਉ (ਮਃ ੫) (੩) ੧:੨ - ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੧੧੩੬ ਪੰ. ੧੦

ਹਜ ਕਾਬੈ ਜਾਉ ਨ ਤੀਰਥ ਪੂਜਾ ॥

Haj Kaabai Jaao N Theerathh Poojaa ||

I do not make pilgrimages to Mecca, nor do I worship at Hindu sacred shrines.

ਭੈਰਉ (ਮਃ ੫) (੩) ੨:੧ - ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੧੧੩੬ ਪੰ. ੧੦

ਏਕੋ ਸੇਵੀ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਦੂਜਾ ॥੨॥

Eaeko Saevee Avar N Dhoojaa ||2||

I serve the One Lord, and not any other. ||2||

ਭੈਰਉ (ਮਃ ੫) (੩) ੨:੨ - ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੧੧੩੬ ਪੰ. ੧੦

ਪੂਜਾ ਕਰਉ ਨ ਨਿਵਾਜ ਗੁਜਾਰਉ ॥

Poojaa Karo N Nivaaj Gujaaro ||

I do not perform Hindu worship services, nor do I offer the Muslim prayers.

ਭੈਰਉ (ਮਃ ੫) (੩) ੩:੧ - ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੧੧੩੬ ਪੰ. ੧੧

ਏਕ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ਲੇ ਰਿਦੈ ਨਮਸਕਾਰਉ ॥੩॥

Eaek Nirankaar Lae Ridhai Namasakaaro ||3||

I have taken the One Formless Lord into my heart; I humbly worship Him there. ||3||

ਭੈਰਉ (ਮਃ ੫) (੩) ੩:੨ - ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੧੧੩੬ ਪੰ. ੧੧

ਨਾ ਹਮ ਹਿੰਦੂ ਨ ਮੁਸਲਮਾਨ ॥

Naa Ham Hindhoo N Musalamaan ||

I am not a Hindu, nor am I a Muslim.

ਭੈਰਉ (ਮਃ ੫) (੩) ੪:੧ - ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੧੧੩੬ ਪੰ. ੧੧

ਅਲਹ ਰਾਮ ਕੇ ਪਿੰਡੁ ਪਰਾਨ ॥੪॥

Aleh Raam Kae Pindd Paraan ||4||

My body and breath of life belong to Allah - to Raam - the God of both. ||4||

ਭੈਰਉ (ਮਃ ੫) (੩) ੪:੨ - ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੧੧੩੬ ਪੰ. ੧੨

ਕਹੁ ਕਬੀਰ ਇਹੁ ਕੀਆ ਵਖਾਨਾ ॥

Kahu Kabeer Eihu Keeaa Vakhaanaa ||

Says Kabeer, this is what I say:

ਭੈਰਉ (ਮਃ ੫) (੩) ੫:੧ - ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੧੧੩੬ ਪੰ. ੧੨

ਗੁਰ ਪੀਰ ਮਿਲਿ ਖੁਦਿ ਖਸਮੁ ਪਛਾਨਾ ॥੫॥੩॥

Gur Peer Mil Khudh Khasam Pashhaanaa ||5||3||

Meeting with the Guru, my Spiritual Teacher, I realize God, my Lord and Master. ||5||3||

ਭੈਰਉ (ਮਃ ੫) (੩) ੫:੨ - ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੧੧੩੬ ਪੰ. ੧੨