Sant....

Gabbar

Sat Sri Akal Jee,

I was just wondering what qualifications I need to become a Sant or Baba or Sahib? Or do I need to complete some kind of course...?

I have ordered my white paag and white kurta from india, should be here anytime soon...

Do I need to contact the Gurudwara's to let them know I have become a Sant?

Thank you for your time

Nobody asked if there was a qualification to be an Amritdhari. Plus he asked whats to be done to be a "Sant". He didn't say "Sikh Sant" did he? A Sant can be from any religion, but an Amritdhari is always a Sikh (unless there is an Amrit ceremony in another religion by the same name that I don't know of). Also, this thread started out as a joke and no one is pointing fingers at any particular "Sant". If anyone wants to stereotype all Amritdharis, be my guest! :D

ps : I thought drinking alcohol was one of the 4 bajjar kurehits. The dude is no more an Amritdhari if he drinks. BEEP! You can't call him Amritdhari! :LOL:

it was just an example of satire mehtab, nothing to get offended about

sants exist everywhere, a wise statement. But Mehtab, sants in white cholas with white paghs from india generally exist in sikhi, unless gabbar was perhaps referring to dadupanthis, in which case, hats off to him for knowing his stuff (although they wear topis)

no no...not at all offended...but come on this thread started off only as a joke (seemed so to me)...and since there has been news going around about a "sant" (ahem ahem...i didn't take any names) being allegedly blamed for certain immoral actions (although nothing has been proved yet), i juz thought of mentioning certain "pre-requisites" needed to be a "sant" in light of the fact that some fake "sants" (again, not naming anyone) have been known to have certain ...ummm..."needs"...and so only as a matter of humour i asked gabbar if he had those...ummm..."needs"...thats all

peace!

Is this a Hypothetical Question? Is Gabbar really serious about this? Gabbar sometimes our destines are predetermined. Are you destined to become a Sant? Read the following quotes of the Granth Sahib above.

In the grath sahib it says asaNkh jog man rahahi udaas.

Countless Yogis, whose minds remain detached from the world.

akhree naam akhree saalaah.

From the Word, comes the Naam; from the Word, comes Your Praise.

akhraa sir sanjog vakhaan.

From the Word, comes destiny, written on one's forehead.

Perhaps you should think of these 3 things I wrote above.

i was acutally referring to some people who are called 'sants, baba's etc' and have a really long name.

I belive that they should not be any different from you and me and should not be treated differently. For example, Last week when I was at the gurdwara, a sikh who had 'Sant' before his name and was called a 'Sant/Baba' came to do kirtan.... fair enough... but as he was walking into the darbar sahib, people around the doors actaully started bowing down to him... with their hands folded!! Crazy!

Sants are good obviously but my point is Sants/babas arent necessarily in white kurta's and wear white paags. They can be your teacher, your neighbour or even a random person on the street.

I think this really is a lot to do with confused concepts of 'sant' and 'baba'. Within 'hindu', 'sikh' and 'sufi' traditions in punjab the term 'baba' denotes someone of some spiritual aspiration. Sant in one practical sense is synonymous with sadhu, a celibate aspirant who wears the bhekh, has the parampra and follows the lifestyle that goes with it. The term denotes such a person and in this context so does baba.

Equally there is another more idealistic definition which is someone who can be characterised by their behaviour or thoughts as having saint-like qualities. An example of this is Sant Sadharan, the sikh of Guru Amar Das ji, who pleased the Guru so much he named him 'sant' during his time at Goindwal (source: Sarup Das Bhalla).

These two perspectives are usually projected onto the same person - the practical lifestyle and symbols of a sant, along with the ideal virtues. Sometimes the aspirant is only half.

if the aspirant is only half, then do they deserve to be called Sant or Baba? in my opinion, they don't.

Gabbar, if people were bowing down to him, then tha's just wrong...

Sodhi... u seriously need to learn how to spell! argh! took me 5 minutes to read that tiny sentence of urs! drive me nutsss!

Monk... once u enter, ur basically stuck. so like i said, enjoy ur stay... muahahahaa!

I will call a sadhu a sadhu based upon their lifestyle, bekh, etc. likewise I will call a Baba a Baba on the same grounds. The inner progress of that individual can rarely be determined immediately, therefore it is usually an issue of assumption; is the glass half-empty or half full? In the company of those who live a Sant lifestyle, I always assume at the least half full! That applies to any aspirant.

Using vivek is essential, this develops intuition. However, cynicism is to my mind a hinderance that eats our dyaa and diminshes our vivek.

tSingh, by no means do i think that i have enough intelligence or knowledge to be able to tell whether someone is worth respecting or not as a Sant. but you can be sure, that if someone calls themself a Sadhu Sant and proceeds to rape young girls, then i'll definitely think twice before giving them respect as a Sant.

monk, if i were you, i wouldn't trust what sodhi says. he's been eating "chocolate buttons". lol... :P

I dont think anyone should be called a Sant. It is disprectful to the sants in the Guru's time and I dont think we are in a position to judge a person and decide if they are a sant or not.

Alot of these 'sants' or 'baba's' just do kirtan for one thing... the money. Sad to see really. See how people rush to the gurdwara when some 'Sant' is meant to be coming and doing a program.. but when some kids are doing kirtan (where they with a pure heart and FROM the heart) u hardly see anyone. People actually start to talk about the 'Sant' more than the gurbani or the guru's!!

Some people even have posters of these 'Sants' on their walls and there more stuff being handed out of these 'Sant' (one comes to mind on particualr but dont wanna say cuz it will diverge off the topic).

I feel the roof is being built before the ground floor has even been built...

Quite worrying...

Main focal point should be God and the Guru's from Guru Nanak Dev Jee to the present Guru, Guru Granth Sahib Jee. Doesnt matter which religion you are from too. Equality amongst relgions should also be promoted. Very important point that Guru Nanak Dev Jee enforced. Treat Christians, jews, Hindus, Muslims just like you would to a sikh. Make no discrimination. Make no discrimination agaisnt people who cut their hair or dress differently to you... they are on their own path which leads to the same destiantion as urs.

God Bless

I agree with Gabbar. Its funny how Gurujee at some instances calls Himself lowest of the low in Gurbani, and some supposed Sikhs like to call themselves "Sant". A true GurSikh like Sant Jarnail Singh Jee Khalsa Bhindranwale (yeah I am calling him Sant coz he was one) never liked anyone calling him Sant, and today its like a first name.