Serving and Meditating upon the True Guru

Sat Sri Akal,

Sri Guru Granth Sahib talks a lot about meditating on the True Guru and serving the True Guru. What does this mean? What exactly are we supposed to meditate upon? How can we serve the Guru when he is not in human form?

"The chosen ones meditate single-mindedly on the Guru." [sGGS page 3]

"I serve my True Guru with single-minded devotion, and lovingly focus my consciousness on Him." [sGGS page 26]

"Meditate on the image of the Guru within your mind" [sGGS page 21]

Please forgive my ignorance - I am new to Sikhi and eager to learn as much as I can about the faith.

Thank you in advance for your guidance!

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa Waheguru ji ki Fateh!

Nischala

You Serve the Guru in 3 Ways, ith the Mind, Body, and your Earnings or wealth.

Mind meaning, Simran, Dhyaan, Devotion, Love, Surrender.

Body meaning doing physical labor, such as making Langar, doing chores and so forth.

The third seva of Wealth which was clarified by the 10th Nanak dev known as Daswund. 10th of your earning should be given as Seva. Note that does not mean only giving to a Gurudwara, it means seva, help those who are in need. It is known that Guru Nanaks Dev jis Gholak is in the bowl of the Poor...not necessarily in the Gholak of the Gurudwara.

So in all there are 3 ways of doing Seva for the Guru,

Tun(body)

Mun(mind)

Dhun(wealth)

Now about meditating on the Guru. The True Guru is no other than Waheguru himself. You meditating on Guru Nanak dev ji is no different than meditating on God. For Guru Nanak dev ji is the Sargun roop of the Nargun Divinity. "Sargun vee O-hee, Nirgun vee O-hee" Meditate on God/True Guru.

The Guru is the one who points in the direction of the Beloved. Don't grab ahold of the Arrow, but look towards the direction to which the arrow is pointing.

Hope that gives you something to work with....

Waheguru.

Death of Self can only happen when there is a substitute to take its place.........................Love is that Substitute. Love will cause the Death, it is not up to us to kill ourselves, but for us to surrender and let Love kill us.

" Reason is powerless in the expression of Love. Love alone is capable of revealing the truth of Love and being a Lover. The way of our prophets is the way of Truth. If you want to live, die in Love; die in Love if you want to remain alive. -rumi- "

Sri Guru Granth Sahib talks a lot about meditating on the True Guru and serving the True Guru. What does this mean? What exactly are we supposed to meditate upon? How can we serve the Guru when he is not in human form?

Sri Guru Granth Sahib is our True Guru, when Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee says to meditate upon the True Guru, then the Guru is asking us to contemplate/meditate upon the words/Gurbani. For example, while reading Sukhmani Sahib dont rush to read the whole thing, but absorb it within you, contemplate the words and meditate on those lines.

By doing this we submit to the Guru, and by submitting to the Guru we serve the Guru and thus we kill our egos.

You can download all the banis at this site.

http://www.gurbanifiles.org/