Bollywood Shabads?!

Gabbar

funny you ask, cuz we held a padth at our house not too long ago and the daughter of my parents friend did kirtan. Well she sang a poen with the tune of a film. Afterwards a Gursikh who also sang kirtan spoke to her and told her that she should sing Gurbani and more so do it in kirtan raags. The whole aura of the sangat changes, reason being the moment she played the tune my mind went instantly to the film from which that tune came from. It is very difficult to keep your mind in gurbani cuz you are picturing the song from the movie instead of gurbani.

If you want to practice tunes, then fine, but personally i would rather listen to kirtan that is perfomed in kirtan raags rather than filmi tunes.

the same thing happened to me! I went to the gurdwara on the weekend and they were doing a shabad to the tune of 'Dil Diwane' from the film Daag! It was wierd! They played the tune note for note! I couldnt sit there and listen to it so i left.

These kirtani's have also done other bollywood tunes and they do this in the main program! What shall i do?

the same thing happened to me! I went to the gurdwara on the weekend and they were doing a shabad to the tune of 'Dil Diwane' from the film Daag! It was wierd! They played the tune note for note! I couldnt sit there and listen to it so i left.

These kirtani's have also done other bollywood tunes and they do this in the main program! What shall i do?

well there is little you can do except voice your concern to those who performed the kirtan. Present them your thoughts as to how you felt. If they are indeed wise and not arrogant they will understand and perhaps both of you can gain some understanding from each-other. Or you can talk to the Granthi of the Gurudwara tell him about your concerns.