Sikhi Quiz

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

What are the Nine Treasures, (Nouh Nidd)?

I know one is Muker. (spelt in gurmukkhi, Mummma, Kukka, RaRa)

Im still learning of these so any input will be good.

What is Muker ?

And please resume this quiz. Its quit informative.

:)

Pirtham bhagautee simer keh, Gur Naanak laaie sahai,

Fir Angad Gur, tey Amardaas, Raamdaas hoee sahai,

Arjan, Hargobind noo, simrao, sree Har Rai,

Sree HarKrishaan dhiaaeeai jis dithday sabh dukh jai,

Tegh Bahadur simereeai, ghaar nauh nidh aavai dhaai,

Sabh thaaee hoi sahai."

(Akali Nihang Guru Gobind Singh ji, Durga ki Vaar, Dasam Guru Durbar)

These 9 treasures...

1) Padam, (gold/silver)

2) Mahapadam (jewels)

3) Shank (delicious foods)

4) Makar (being recognised by the state, eg, a knighthood)

5) Ruchap (trade in silks and fine fabrics)

6) Mokhand (fine arts and antiquities)

7) Rund (old ornaments, and cutlery)

Neel (Pearls)

9) Vuch (immence Wealth through financial genuis)

9 treasures. aka, 9 Kuh-jaa-neh (boxes of tresure), aka Nau Nidd.

the important 9 treasures are as follows:

1) Padam, (gold/silver)

2) Mahapadam (jewels)

3) Shank (delicious foods)

4) Makar (being recognised by the state, eg, a knighthood)

5) Ruchap (trade in silks and fine fabrics)

6) Mokhand (fine arts and antiquities)

7) Rund (old ornaments, and cutlery)

8) Neel (Pearls)

9) Vuch (immence Wealth through financial genuis)

3) Makar. makar nidd is thumonguni (something to do with maya's 3rd gun, (might not be, still working on it), or something to do with Anger, i thinki its the second. Dont quote me on that, still trying to understand it) From this we gain the knowlege of ShasterVidiya.

will work on others.

wooowww... this is gud!!!

I have 1 question though...

What are the 5 Kakkars? What do each of the 5 Kakkars symbolise?

Here:

Kesh - uncut hair and beard, as given by God, to sustain him or her in higher consciousness; and a turban, the crown of spirituality.

Kangha - a wooden comb to properly groom the hair as a symbol of cleanliness.

Katchera - specially made cotton underwear as a reminder of the commitment to purity.

Kara - a steel circle, worn on the wrist, signifying bondage to Truth and freedom from every other entanglement.

Kirpan - the sword, with which the Khalsa is committed to righteously defend the fine line of the Truth.

my version, i agree with n30's too.

Kesh - Body belongs to God, Kesh belong to Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

Kangha - Also keeps disicple. (Samurais also kept a kanga)

Katchera - specially made cotton underwear as a reminder of the commitment to purity. Also shows you take a bath, unless its brown..........

Kara - a sarbloh circle, worn on the wrist, signifying bondage to Truth and freedom from every other entanglement. It can be a, Singha da Kara, which is big so you can pratice shastar vidiya or a table kara which you play a tabla with.

Kirpan - the sword, with which the Khalsa is committed to righteously defend the fine line of the Truth. Also, a definition of a kirpan is a single piece of metal from handle to blade. Like a taksal one. Others have different names. I prefer to wear a peshkabz/kukri instead of a kirpan. But main concpet i reckon is to do kirpa with it.

Oh yeah!..Sorry to say , both Steel Bangle paji and Neo paji were wrong when it came to the literal meaning of Singh and Kaur.

For your ..general knowledge ..(IF I AM NOT WRONG) ..I thought the literal meaning of the word 'Kaur' is Prince (not Princess). It is a derivative of the Sanskrit word 'Kanwar' meaning Prince, whereas, 'Singh' is derived from the Sanskrit word 'Simha' meaning lion

Anyone agree or disagree?? :wink:

well i disagree then, cos if "Kaur" means prince then it wouldnt be used as a second name for girls would it :wink: so thats why it means princess :sikhiwink2:

an cud u tell me wot sanskrit is cos i think its a old hindu language but i aint sure :roll:

Sankrit is a very old language .. I think .. shouldn't say hindu language... but hindu religion is one of the oldest religion and sanskrit language is extensively used in the area where hindu religion has furnish.. many languages of this sub-continental are drived from sanskrit.. ..

• 2 months later...
Guest kaur1699

Fateh Ji,

Oh yeah!..Sorry to say , both Steel Bangle paji and Neo paji were wrong when it came to the literal meaning of Singh and Kaur.

For your ..general knowledge ..(IF I AM NOT WRONG) ..I thought the literal meaning of the word 'Kaur' is Prince (not Princess). It is a derivative of the Sanskrit word 'Kanwar' meaning Prince, whereas, 'Singh' is derived from the Sanskrit word 'Simha' meaning lion

Anyone agree or disagree?? :wink:

Agreed, Kaur does mean Prince and it comes from the word Kanwar...

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

sorry if im goin bakwards here, but as this is ma 1st day here, i think that i can answer this question.

Hey i thought vaishakhi is on 13th april... what is it ??? is it 14th by nanakshai calendar... any1 enlighten me pls?? :cry:

Vaisakhi was actually on 30th March 1699. But during the 1800's, the clocks were moved forwards two weeks, dnt ask me y, they juss were. From then on, Vaisakhi has always been on 13th April, but every four years, it is on the 14th April. Again, i do not know why, but i will do my research on this, and get back. So, this year, Vaisakhi was on 14th April. For 3 years Vaisakhi will be on 13th April again, and then 14th April in 2007. I think it's got something to do with the leap year, the Nanakshahi calendar has a leap year aswell, but i aint fully sure on that.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Two Trivia Questions... I am sure you must be aware...

1. Whose reincarnation do Buddists believe Guru Nank to be?

2. What is old the name of Sikh Homeland, Punjab, also the home of Mahayana Buddhism.

• 1 month later...

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

"Parkarma, is when you walk around the guru granth saihb.

Normal people do it clockwise, Nihangs do it anit-clockwise, makes more sense to do it anti-clockwise."

I was just wondering how it makes more sense to do it anti-clockwise? I always thought that the reason behind doing it clockwise is so that Guru Ji's Saroop will always be on our right side. Since we always have bigger/stronger and well respected people on our right side.

Bhul Chuk Mauph

Waheguru JI Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

yep, i heard that one too.. they walk around anti-clockwise to keep the shastar on the inner side (closest to maharaj) and so that they walk around (preform salutation to) guru shabad, and guru shastar and gurpanth (if you have all three saroops of gurshabad, Aad, Dasam and Sarbloh gurgranth, then you would have 3 patis and 2 singhs between them doing chor sahib di seva, giving u a total of 5 singhs.. (gurpanth)

Also im not a scientist so some quantum physics dude will probably prove me wrong, but the planets also do their parkarma of the sun in an anticlockwise motion, as the moon does to the earth, as an electron to the nucleous (i think ????).

No offense... Has doing Parkama got any historical significance in Sikhi or just another Karam Kaand? I think its our own way of "showing off" our respect for the Guru...

Chardi Kala