Dharma & Religion: What about the Khalsa Panth?

Guest Sardar Moderator Singh

Guest Sardar Moderator Singh

I have been receiving many PMs from the forum regarding the assertion made during the lecture by Nihang Niddar Singh that the Gurus came to spread Dharma and not religion and how the notion of the Khalsa Panth fits in with this idea.

I have indicated to all that this question was asked during the talks, however it is clear that the answers provided have not been satisfactory to all so here is a thread for discussing this notion.

Have fun!

SMS.

I did not attend any such lecture, but I agree that Sikhi is meant to be a way of life not an institutionalized relgion.

I think when you institutionalize it, kinda like SGPC, you do gain many benefits like a greater sense of identity, but you also lose many aspects of your faith. With institutionalization come rules, regulations, what is orthodox and what's not...

Personally I think Sikhi or any religion for that matter is what the "founders" wanted it to be (what they were teaching).

Just my two cents...

I did not attend any such lecture, but I agree that Sikhi is meant to be a way of life not an institutionalized relgion.

I think when you institutionalize it, kinda like SGPC, you do gain many benefits like a greater sense of identity, but you also lose many aspects of your faith. With institutionalization come rules, regulations, what is orthodox and what's not...

Personally I think Sikhi or any religion for that matter is what the "founders" wanted it to be (what they were teaching).

Just my two cents...

:!:

Excellent post bro.

Just my two cents...

Sorry I made an mistake, I meant that "Sikhi or any religion for that matter ISN'T what the..."

That all religions are not what they were meant to be.

it doesn't?... hmmm...

i think i agree with infernal monk. simply because there's no way of knowing what Sikhi would be like today IF there weren't all these contradictions floating around on what's real and false. i mean we've only got a gazillion rehitnamey floating around. who's to say which one is what our Guru's wanted us to follow? and on top of that, a lot of people have a tough time deciding who can be considered a Sikh according to their jatha and blah blah blah...

Hi,

Could i get opinions on the following assertions:

To maintain DHARMA surely the Khalsa must be able to:

1) recognise the dynamic nature of Dharma

2) be able to relate to every path in practising dharma

3) to stay away from close minded which fails to embrace all manner of people

4) Be able to adapt

5) Be accessible to all (i.e. reffering to language and identity barriers)

and most importantly

6) Be comprised of a multitude of people , with distinctly varying life styles, all practicing the myriads of Dharmic values

Thanks

I agree with all Gupy points.

And that is why, The Dal Panth Budhadal is the only one which fits all those criteria.

They are the only ones who make both Meat and Vegi Langar ;) universal law of dharma. And make degh and kra Prashaad, they dont really have any path of practicing dharma and hence they can relate to all paths as and when they see fit, they can definatly adapt look at udhay singh.

The above statement is a sole individual opinion and is in no way based on the instituational ideas and philosophy of the Dal Panth ( i would assume)

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Could i get opinions on the following assertions:

To maintain DHARMA surely the Khalsa must be able to:

1) recognise the dynamic nature of Dharma

2) be able to relate to every path in practising dharma

3) to stay away from close minded which fails to embrace all manner of people

4) Be able to adapt

5) Be accessible to all (i.e. reffering to language and identity barriers)

and most importantly

6) Be comprised of a multitude of people , with distinctly varying life styles, all practicing the myriads of Dharmic values

Thanks

Good points gupy.

question: is the khalsa panth doing what is described above today?

What is Khalsa??

Whos definiton is being used YOURS or Gurus...(not at anyone personally, jus a general comment)

pooran joth jagai ghatt mai thab khaalas thaahi nakhaalas jaanai

A person is pure, in whose heart shines the full Divinely Radiant Light. Otherwise, the person is impure(Sarbloh Granth)

Bhai Gurdaas Ji says,

peeou paahul kha(n)ddadhhaar hoe janam suhaelaa

sangath keenee Khalsa manamukhee dhuhaelaa

vaah vaah Gobind Singh aapae Gur chaelaa

Inhi ki kripa ke saje hum hain

neheen mo so gareeb karor parae

Guru Gobind Singh ji is saying that thru the Khalsa aid, i have attained this status

• 4 weeks later...

lemme rephrase my question for you then:

based on the previous ideas of what "khalsa" should be doing, does "khalsa" exist? in what form? and depending on YOUR view of "khalsa" is it fulfilling it's destiny as the "protector of dharma"?

is there anyone who can answer this, CE if ur there??

Niranjana?? Anyone???

Khalsa is definitely here, and I don't think it will ever vanish.

Just being here and practicing its lifestyle is enough. True dharma is maintained if there is someone practicing it, and I am of the opinion that only the Khalsa is doing such a thing in Kalyug. How many does the khalsa number? A little less than a thousand.