Ustad Abdul Waheed Khan..

Black Goddess

Not sure whether this is the right section to post this in..if it isnt apologies and a request to the mods to move to the right place..

Anyone heard Ustad Abdul Waheed Khan's gayaki..he's supposedly from the Kirana gharana but when I heard his darbari he seemed to have his own unique style, for example in the vilambat he went straight to taar saptak without evolving the swars in the lower saptaks..

Just a bit excited cos I needed to hear someone singing darbari in a different way for once..

I was told that I shud concentrate on raag gayaki for all shabads I sing because its traditional and the way maharaj intended it, not to mention that its disrespectful to the maryada in general..how many people wud agree with that? Im a bit nervous about doing it cos not many people like hearing raags anymore..is it worth it? I tried singing raag at a akj program once..and it was well recieved..

Lol, Xena sings raags..

I love his LP. I first heard it in the sangeet natak academy in delhi about 4 years ago. A very beautiful gayaki. I have only that A.I.R recording of him (including darbari). Not come across any other recordings. I feel there's a lot of his style in Ustad Amir Khan.

ON a side note I've been loving some of the fantastic direct recordings of dhrupad traditions by (I think) Malar label. One find is an excellent recording of Indore Mishra who uses sufi text in his dhrupad and dhammar sections, which is unheard of nowadays. It also has a CD by Pandit Ram Mullick's nephew which is astounding. I'll post more about them when I'm back in the UK.

Ustad Amir Khan had the benefit of direct shagirdi with Ustad Abdul Waheed Khan..so I guess thats why you can see some similarities..I noticed he sings mostly vilambit...which for me personally is a greater challenge than drut..

TSingh..could you explain the technique Khanda-meru in raag exploration? I came across this but I dunno what it refers to exactly..

Also, what do you think of Ustad Nazakat & Salamat Ali Khan of the sham chaurasi gharana, my all time favourite 8) ...

Er..guys ur a bit late, I did that four years ago..when I sounded like a squeaky barbie, now Im Xena..they dont let me in cos of all the metal and weapons and whips (Beastie, down bwoy)..we should organise a Sikhawareness concert in RAH, Beastie and Sukhi can do a duet with all those chains..Il do a Xena solo with lots of leather...Naroo can do the technical stuff...omg *runs off to get notebook to jot down ideas*..I badly need to get out.. :shock:

Er..guys ur a bit late, I did that four years ago..when I sounded like a squeaky barbie, now Im Xena..they dont let me in cos of all the metal and weapons and whips (Beastie, down bwoy)..we should organise a Sikhawareness concert in RAH, Beastie and Sukhi can do a duet with all those chains..Il do a Xena solo with lots of leather...Naroo can do the technical stuff...omg *runs off to get notebook to jot down ideas*..I badly need to get out.. :shock:

...sounds like you need to get married...and damn quick!! :roll: