What Is Bhagauti?

fateh ppl

i'm gonna keep this short and sweet.......

can the sangat tell me the meaning of bhagauti pls? i know its really deep and im hoping for a really deep discussion here.....

is it sword or the spiritual power of vaahiguroo....or summin else?...or everything?

sada jai sada jai sada jai bhagauti

fateh

Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakal!

This is a great query from Savaa Laakh Ji.

You wrote "can the sangat tell me the meaning of bhagauti pls? i know its really deep and im hoping for a really deep discussion here....."

God's first Wish to become many is Bhagauti. So that everything can take birth it needed a Bhag, the source of origin. The collective origin of all that gives birth is Bhagauti.

This is only one character of God's Will.

Also, Bhagauti is owned by God. That is why HIS one Name is Bhagwan.

Now something is to ask about your statement "i know its really deep and im hoping for a really deep discussion here....."

How far have you jumped in? How deep is the source of origin?

Please elaborate.

Love.

Balbir Singh

my apologies for late reply.

I want to go as deep as i can in the meaning of Bhagauti, like why is bhagauti mentioned three times before the guru's names in ardaas? did guru gobind singh ji mean bhagauti in 3 different contex here? Vaahiguroo, the sword and the vanquisher of all evils? or all of them?

i want to understand more abt bhagauti as a character of God too.

I want to go deep, cos i have a feeling this isnt't jsut abt a physical sword or jutst a character of god. i want to drown....

fateh

• 4 weeks later...

gurfateh sangat ji...........

I will elaborate my understanding of this and please firgive me if I err in any way............

Bhaugati is the female manifestation of Akal Purkh as is known in nature that there is always a male and female counterpart to everything. Akal Purkh is the mightiest of all and he then gives the female power in the form of bhaugati which is the sarv-shakti, dusht naas karn vali kirpan (shastar). Dashmesh Pita Ji Dhan Dhan Sahib-e-Kamaal, Kalgi valey Pita Satguru Gobind Singh Ji always "worshipped" the sword and shastar.

Just read the first part of Akal Ustat.........

So from my understanding, (again i'm a moronic fool with very little knowledge)........Bhaugati is the female aspect of Waheguru's shakti which has been given to the sword (kirpan).

• 9 years later...
According to sant gurbachan singh ji katha he quoted from amar kosh where bhaugati is interpreted to have four theological meaning -

1. Akaal purkh including all sargun aspects (sargun and nirgun is one)

2. Kirpan- Sri Sahib

3. Bhagvati Chandi -goddess

4. Aad shakti- force

All four forms of interpretations are accepted depending on the context of shabad

Bhaugati which is mentioned in ardas is akaal purkh vachak.

From my poor and limited understanding, Bhagauti is a conceptual force/power, a quality that can be instilled, a feminine aspect, and a shade of the entity of the Divine multiplex known as Akaal, Waheguru, Parbraham, Mahakal, and an endless list of other names for the being who is the origin of everything and anything, yet is everything and anything. The paradoxical and oxymoronic being which makes complete sense on a level of thinking which is beyond us to grasp in totality.

1) the primal power, which is a branch and arm of Waheguru.

2) The strong feminine ( in origin ) adoptable trait of a character which instilled the virtue for one to rise to defend the oppressed and uphold/defend Dharma, Righteousness, and Justice. The character who is and lives by ਪਤਿਤ ਉਧਾਰਨੰ, ਦੁਸ਼ਤ ਮਾਰਨੰ, and ਸੰਤ ਉਬਾਰਨੰ. I don't see Chandi ( the goddess) as Bhagauti itself, rather I see her as a Bhagauti.

3) the totally indescribable Femine aspect of Waheguru.

4) a Conceptual power which is manifested in that which can punish, annihilate, and defend.

5) The Sri Sahib and/or Shastar of the righteous Khalsa.

denials. denials and more denials :)

Bhagauti, above-all is Goddess Bhagwati

In gurbani a person has to look at the context of what the shabad is saying. Not every time the word bhagauti is used means its the goddess... The example I'm gonna give you is gonna will hopefully clear your misguidedness..

ੴ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫਤਹ ॥

ੴ वाहिगुरू जी की फतह ॥

The Lord is one and the Victory is of the Lord.

ਸ੍ਰੀ ਭਗਉਤੀ ਜੀ ਸਹਾਇ ॥

स्री भगउती जी सहाइ ॥

May SRI BHAGAUTI JI (The Sword) be Helpful.

ਵਾਰ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਭਗਉਤੀ ਜੀ ਕੀ ॥ ਪਾਤਸਾਹੀ ੧੦ ॥

वार स्री भगउती जी की ॥ पातसाही १० ॥

The Heroic Poem of Sri Bhagauti Ji (Goddess Durga). (By) Th Tenth Kingg (Guru).

ਪ੍ਰਿਥਮ ਭਗੌਤੀ ਸਿਮਰਿ ਕੈ ਗੁਰੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਲਈਂ ਧਿਆਇ ॥

प्रिथम भगौती सिमरि कै गुरु नानक लईं धिआइ ॥

In the beginning I remember Bhagauti, the Lord (Whose symbol is the sword and then I remember Guru Nanak.

Three different types of bhagauti are used by guru Ji.

• 3 weeks later...

'Bhagauti' does not refer to Durga at all. In the Markande Puran, Vishnu Puran, Padam Puran, and Devi Bhagwat, nowhere is Bhagauti used to refer to Durga, it refers to the Sword. Bhagwati and Bhagauti are two distinct Sanskrit words. Additionally, out of the 108 names given my Rishi Markande to the pre-Aryan Goddess Durga, Bhagauti is not one of them, though Bhagwati is.

Edited by Kuttabanda2

In Punjabi Bhagwati is pronounced as Bhagouti ..just like Kaur comes from Kunwar.

Punjab has been Shakt worshipping since ancient times and we find references like Chandigarh - the name of the city is derived from Goddess Chandi . Jalandhar is the name of the Rakhshas whom the Devi is said to have slain.

Dasam Bani has quotations to Markandey Rishi and clearly states " Sri Markandey Puraane" .

Amongst the Kshatris the Sword is belived to be the manifestation of the Goddess and just as in Sikh terminology we refer to the sword as Siri Sahib, the Kshatris referred the sword as Bhagouti/Bhagwati /Chandi which also considered in Sikhi.

The Saptshati Durga bani of Rishi Markandey is a detailed description of the manifestation of Devi Durga/Chandi/Bhagwati inspired by which Dasve Patsaah ji has composed Chandi di Vaar, Chandi Charitar Ukat Bilas , Chandi Charitar(small) .

The difference is ..Rishi Markandey gives a detailed description of the physical aspects of the Shakti ..Maharaj doesnt go into those details and gives a 'nichod' or concentrate of the Bir Ras ..

The Bani composed by Guru Sahib is in no way a word to word translation of Rishi Markandey's composition. Rishi Markanday has also laid stress on the bhagti aspect and Maharaj focuses on Bir Ras more .

Uggardanti and Bhagouti Ashtotar are Bir Ras Bhagti combinations .

I am saying this on the basis that i have done paath of Rishi Markandey's Saptshati as well as the Banis composed by Guru Maharaj.

• 2 weeks later...

In Punjabi Bhagwati is pronounced as Bhagouti ..just like Kaur comes from Kunwar.

Punjab has been Shakt worshipping since ancient times and we find references like Chandigarh - the name of the city is derived from Goddess Chandi . Jalandhar is the name of the Rakhshas whom the Devi is said to have slain.

Dasam Bani has quotations to Markandey Rishi and clearly states " Sri Markandey Puraane" .

Amongst the Kshatris the Sword is belived to be the manifestation of the Goddess and just as in Sikh terminology we refer to the sword as Siri Sahib, the Kshatris referred the sword as Bhagouti/Bhagwati /Chandi which also considered in Sikhi.

The Saptshati Durga bani of Rishi Markandey is a detailed description of the manifestation of Devi Durga/Chandi/Bhagwati inspired by which Dasve Patsaah ji has composed Chandi di Vaar, Chandi Charitar Ukat Bilas , Chandi Charitar(small) .

The difference is ..Rishi Markandey gives a detailed description of the physical aspects of the Shakti ..Maharaj doesnt go into those details and gives a 'nichod' or concentrate of the Bir Ras ..

The Bani composed by Guru Sahib is in no way a word to word translation of Rishi Markandey's composition. Rishi Markanday has also laid stress on the bhagti aspect and Maharaj focuses on Bir Ras more .

Uggardanti and Bhagouti Ashtotar are Bir Ras Bhagti combinations .

I am saying this on the basis that i have done paath of Rishi Markandey's Saptshati as well as the Banis composed by Guru Maharaj.

​Is there any academic linguistic analysis that proves that?

Indeed Guru Gobind Singh Sahib Jee translated the Purans, but the Gurus have clarified their position regarding Devi/Devtas and have presented the composition in a way that is in line with Sikh philosophy. 

Academic analysis i am not aware of , absolutely Guru Sahib connects the Shakti of the manifestations to the Supreme Akaal Purakh. I have done both banis so am saying on the basis of my personal analysis.

See this tuk , where Guru Sahib connects the avtars to Akaal in Chandi di Vaar :

taihi durga saj kai daita da nas karaya, taitho hi bal ram lai nal bana dehsir ghaia, taitho hi bal krishan lai kans kesi pakad giraya .

I again repeat the compositions are based on Rishi Markandey's ustat of Chandi/Durga/Bhagouti and in no way are a verbatim translation.

Nailed it bhaji.

If you say Bhagwati out loud it sounds like Bhagauti. This is the exact same word, with the exact same meaning.

Here's another perspective.

1. The writing starts off from the Manglacharan.

The author starts the writing from "Prithm Bhagwati Simar Kai". The author's belief system here becomes clear that the highest is Shri Bhagwati. I see no evidence in the body of the writing itself that there is any other higher power, higher than Bhagwati.

taihi durga saj kai daita da nas karaya

So if we were to interpret this line from within the writing, the highest is Shri Bhagwati. Then this line is referring not to Akal Purakh but Shri Bhagwati. Taihi durga saj kai = Shri Bhagwati creates Durga.

2. But you might think that in other writings it says something else. Well indeed it does say something else. These have not been written by the same author. The different writings belong to men with differing belief system ie these are different religions.

Chaubis Avtar maybe about Shri Vishnu's avtar but the author praises Devi prior to talking about the avatars. To this author, Devi is the highest. (Different religion than that of Shri Vishnu.)

In Akal Ustat, the manglacharan starts off with the praise of Sarab Kal. Bachittar Natak again starts with Shri Kal. (Different than the following of Devi and Vishnu.)

3. If a writing mentions Akal Purakh but the names that come after Akal Purakh are not the same as other writings that also mention Akal Purakh then you are looking at different belief systems.

For example, both followers of Shivji and followers of Vishnu ji associate their images with Akal Purakh. Yet Shaivism and Vaishnavism are different religions.

There is yet another religion that combines aspects of Shiav and Vaishnav dharams into one, and they have the hybrid Shiv-Vishnu, Hari-Hara image associated with Akal Purakh.

Within Vaishnavism, specifically Gaudiya Vaishnavs consider Krishan ji as Akal Purakh where Vishnu is created by Krishan ji.

4.  So what I am trying to get at is this. While bringing in other writings, you may impose a belief system upon the writing that is not there to begin with. In my view, it is crucial to understand the writing by itself first. To interpret it from within itself, before comparing/contrasting to other writings.

There's a lot more I want to add to this discussion but it's pretty late over here.

Edited by BhagatSingh

In gurbani a person has to look at the context of what the shabad is saying. Not every time the word bhagauti is used means its the goddess... The example I'm gonna give you is gonna will hopefully clear your misguidedness..

ੴ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫਤਹ ॥

ੴ वाहिगुरू जी की फतह ॥

The Lord is one and the Victory is of the Lord.

ਸ੍ਰੀ ਭਗਉਤੀ ਜੀ ਸਹਾਇ ॥

स्री भगउती जी सहाइ ॥

May SRI BHAGAUTI JI (The Sword) be Helpful.

ਵਾਰ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਭਗਉਤੀ ਜੀ ਕੀ ॥ ਪਾਤਸਾਹੀ ੧੦ ॥

वार स्री भगउती जी की ॥ पातसाही १० ॥

The Heroic Poem of Sri Bhagauti Ji (Goddess Durga). (By) Th Tenth Kingg (Guru).

प्रिथम भगौती सिमरि कै गुरु नानक लईं धिआइ ॥

In the beginning I remember Bhagauti, the Lord (Whose symbol is the sword and then I remember Guru Nanak.

Three different types of bhagauti are used by guru Ji.

'Nuff said

• 8 months later...
4 hours ago, amardeep said:

What does the above in hindi mean?

It talks about the other meaning of Bhagawati. One is feminine Bhagawat ie Devi, the other is "belonging to Bhagawat".

It explains the second meaning  "belonging to Bhagawat", which is synonymous with Vaishnu. This is how it is used in Guru Granth Sahib, since Guru Granth sahib is about worship of Bhagawat.

Read Sukhmani Sahib, the Vaishnu/Bhagawati Ashtpadis. Starting from - Vaishnu so jis upar swaprasan, Vishan ki Maya te hoye bhin.

On 2015-06-15 at 3:04 PM, Koi said:

Bhagauti is the Aad Shakti of MaahaaKaal

In Chandi Di Var, Bhagawati, the primal goddess, creates Mahakal ;)

This is why I keep saying to recognize these as different religions. We are putting obstacles in our understanding if we don't have this larger perspective on these writings. And a lot of apne do lack this understanding because it is nowhere to be found in our common knowledge or in our culture.

This perspective and understanding requires - 1. a previous experience of divine, of his simultaneous oneness and multiplicity, and then 2. further study of world religions, and Indian religions and then 3. through combining the previous two, further study of the process by which the divine creates a variety of religions throughout history, and 4. further study of the why the divine creates diverse, sometimes contradictory, religions.

Needless to say that this perspective is not readily available to everyone. It is like climbing mount Everest, only a few will go to that level.