Gatka or other martial arts?

I am stuck in a quandry right now... I would like to start taking a martial art, yet there are no Sikh martial arts taught in my area.... So I am considering taking nin-jitsu,wing-tsun, or kung-fu instead.... Does anybody here take anything other than Sikh martial arts???

Serious note if you get a chance go to the Akahara for Shastar Vidiya i have been to 2 lessons ie: 6 hours and my entire physical aspiration towards my body/khalsa/guru have increased for the better, I no longer just sit there getting fat, I feel the "bir ras" to train,weights,vidiya, download the traning videos and watch them and try to copy the moves and you'll see the benefits (I don't recommend the weapons, you'll need serious guidence, but the shastar namaskarn,mool pentra etc you can do in your living room, go to http://www.shastarvidiya.org/video/ & download the vid's :LOL:

PS: i haven't started chopping up goats, and eating meat, but you never know..hhaha(joke) :wink:

Or you could ask your Local Gurdwara Commitee to find someone that knows the art of Gatka and ask them if they can teach you, you could start having classes at the gurdwara every week or so. Trust me learn the art of Gatka, it is the best Martial Art ever!!! Guru Ji always gave us the best things, so he would never be wrong. And I suppose there mihgt be some1 that knmows Gatka that can teach you in the town/city.

Sri Akaal Ji Sahai

There are Savya Rakhsha classes planned for the London Area in July 2003. Savya Rakhsha is pure self-defence, and is open to ALL people, regardless of faith, creed, colour, caste (for those into this), socio-economic status. NO one is expected to become a "Nihang" by learning this. It is PURE technique.

In case anyone is wondering, it takes a minimum of 2 years of Savya Rakhsha before one wishes to progress onto "Jundi-di-vidiya" (the full Sanatan Sikh Shastar Vidiya).

"Jungi-di-vidiya" also means people come face to face with the full Akali Nihang Singh Khalsa traditions of Chatka, Mahaprasaad (meat), Sukka, Dasam and Sarbloh Guru Durbar, etc., and as such this will not be palatable to those who do not agree or accept these aspects.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVYYYYYYYYYY IM GOIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

forget thai boxing.....im doin this!!!

is niddar singh gonna teach it?

o yeah and do u actually have 2 do that chatka n weed stuff.....or do u just have to allow it????

so when u do "pure self defence"......that will be stuff in shastar vidiya right....just not the really funky stuff.....it wont be some watered down karate or judo lol yeh?

Trust me man i been twice no water down stuff, eye stabbing,arm twisting,throat ripping,groin grabbing,knee snapping :D In 2 lessons wheren;t bad and NO WEED or Meat involved.....

So as its says above everyone can come, and remember ppl will put u pff saying u have to a meat take weed etc its all %^%^%^%^%^ they just can;t handle it.

This Vidiya is hard work, and I get tired in 10 minutes of running, @ kick boxing class I tried that shastar namsakran again the other day """"Pheww" hard work to remember and do try it

"Don;' knock it till yah tried it"

www.shastarvidiya.org will be updated soon to include information on all Savya Rakhsha Akharas (times, locations, what to wear, etc).

Savya Rakhsa is not a "watered down" version of Shastar Vidiya, it is a branch of it. Its designed to be picked up quickly by most people, and caters for a wider audience.

For people who wish to learn how to look after themselves in the street (self defence) then Savya Rakhsha is enough. For those wishing to move to "Jang-di-vidiya" then Savya Rakhsha is a prerequisite course as this forms the basis of more advanced techniques. "Jung-di-vidiya" also requires more physical fitness than Savya Rakhsha (and a more focused mindset)

..stay tuned! :twisted:

Before doing any sports/physical activity, it is always a good idea to get advice from a qualified doctor.

If you are suffering from any condition that may affect your performance, or may hinder ur health, then get some good professional advice. As with any physical activity, there is scope for injury, but as long as you're sensible and dont do anything daft, then you should be fine.

We have people with asthma training, and they are sensible (ie, they keep their inhalers with them and are careful to know not to exceed their limits).

Just stick to the professional advice and you should be fine.

"Jung-di-Vidiya" is far more physical and strenuous, and during sparring, there is a chance of being "winded", poked in the eye, sprains, cuts, bites (yeah, we bite too), bruises, etc etc, so that is recommended if you cannot handle this kind of environment. :twisted:

"Jung-di-Vidiya" is far more physical and strenuous, and during sparring, there is a chance of being "winded", poked in the eye, sprains, cuts, bites (yeah, we bite too), bruises, etc etc, so that is recommended if you cannot handle this kind of environment. :twisted:

bites lol, i friend of mine got bit (in a gatka camp) by Uptej singh really really hard. lol

8)

"undergroundsikhi where exactly r ur classes?"

Not my classes they are "Akali Nihang Baba Darbara Singh Akhara of Budha Dal" if any thing

I've got no skills I have just been to 2 classes and have been very physically secure after going, once in feb I had 15 guys come to our gurdwara giving me agro"Loads of reasons behind it " but to cut a long story short....... I was surrounded by 15 guys given me abuse, and each step of the way i remebered what i had learn in the 2 lessons,

1) Never let anyone come behind you

2) Always try and walk away from the incident first

3) if your gonna hit, make sure its with one blow ( i had my kara's ready to smash their naka's)

4) Whilst they where swearing at me I was planning to kick the knee's and smash my kara in their faces

5) at the same time using my voice to calm them down and bod language

6) look for weapons around you ( i had a fire extinguser at my feet)

ANd this was well beneficial I could have go beaten but the advice from Niddar Singh and a quick ardas to guruji *When i was really khacking it* (You try talking to 15, Punjabi P*ss heads)

but either way they left and things worked out

So any of you out there "I;m not promoting eaten meat or drinking goblets of sukkha :wink: ......but try out "Sevaya Rakshia" classes and see you "Robh" increase and your awareness if not for yourself then others protection.

• 1 month later...

Somethink i would like to share with everyone , the question " gatkha or other martial arts". i have some what experianced the same confusion but no feel that i can answer the question clearly. i have been learning Wing Chung /Wing Tsun /Ving Tsun for almost 6 years now since the age of 14. i took up the art to help defend myself from hate attacks and bullying i faced during my early teens. my main motivation to start the art was revenage and pay back for the pain. As i become more confident at my skills and also became much more violent towards people who i felt disliked me cus of my color and religion... i had many fights between my gcses and early college , but as i learnt from pass mistakes and with help of wing chung i no long look for fights nor excel myself as a fighter. if i was approached by anyone looking for a fight i believe i can fight with out fighting in terms that i can defuse and anger in the attacks. have learnt many skills from wing chung not just physical but mental. so i believe that no martial art is better then another. they all have somethink to offer and help to improve ur health and mental powers.

This is where gatkha comes in, i become more and more intrested in gatkha seeing it at the gudwara and hearing storys of how gatkha was used, so i put the question across to my teacher (wing chung), i was somewhat surprised by his answer, as i thought he would not have a clue what gatkha is . how wrong was i.. hes explained to me how gatkha is a unquie martial art and only martial art proven in war. explained how he would never think of fighting some one that has learn gatkha cus of the way it is taught and the skills it provides . most martial arts teach you how to fight one person or 2 at the most. but gatkha is taught to fight a number of attacks. the art of using a sword is far more deadly then fighting with ur lims. plus the mental advantages that it offers are so highly regurded by many. So therefore i am looking into going to gatkha lessons, it might or might not be right for me but intill i give it ago i would know.

am sorry for anymistakes in the text, i hope this has helped you to answer the question.