Why do we light a Jot?

sk

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is obvious lighting a Jot will not take you to God and nobody should be saying that. Neither is solely wearing a Dastaar or keeping the 5 K's, and if you think they will take you God you are kidding yourself. These are gifts from the Lord to us and are part of our way of life. They are Maryada and we jave to follow marayada, but solely following maryada will not take you to God. You will become a Khataar Punaa, kinda reminds me of Tapoban (no offence), a clear cut definition and everybody outside of the box has a straight ticket to hell.

Simran and Seva are the only things that will take us to God.

Jot and dhoof is merely part of the "sumagree" for Guru Jee. It keeps the place clean and smelling nice. It is part of aromatherapy.

With that other things start to happen with concentration of Naam Banee then the Shaheed Singhs will come, not just because you have jot and Dhoof!! That means any old hooker could light a jot and dhoof and Lo and behold the Singhs arrive.

Lets be practical about this. Baba Nand Singh said that solely jot and dhoof are useless, they have them in practically all houses in India. It is about your jeevan, your love for the Guru. The amount of Naam Baanee you do. The sacrifice you have for the Guru.

Hey if you don't want to light it, so be it. No worries. It is all about Seva and Simran.

Everybody has learned or has been influenced by slightly different teachings especially on the maryada side. There will always be slight differences, WHO CARES, it is not a big deal.

The big deal is the one who have killed the 5 real thieves inside of them.

Anything done without his grace is pointless, and anything done with out the desire to please akaal purakh is not as worthy as it could be, however everything has its place and a jot has its place, alot of meditation is about releasing oneself from the senses from the concious mind which engages in interpretation recieving and decoding these senses, and experiencng the subtle mind the semi conciousness. This is similar to the intentions in hypnosis to allow the person being hypnotised to move away from their concious state and interact directly with their subtle conciousness and in this way override the logic and decoding, making the unreal seem real.

The reason I am drawing upon this resemblance between Hypnosis and Meditation is that in hypnosis the method used to drown out external senses is to get the person to concentrate on one object, a swinging watch, a point on the roof, the spot above their nose and between their eyes. All these are a means to drawn out all other senses and hence acts as a control mechanism, the jot is in this sense the same as that one object used as a point of focus to draw out the rest of our senses. Hence lighting the jot itself will not aid you in anything unless used as a means to aid in controlling your senses.

However, there are other oral and written and practicle traditions as I mentioned much earlier in this topic these shouldnt be overlooked because they do not fit into logical reasoning. As there is alot more going on other then logic.

These are gifts from the Lord to us and are part of our way of life. They are Maryada and we jave to follow marayada, but solely following maryada will not take you to God.

Samosa Singh, part of the rehet is to wake up amritvela and do Naam Simran (bhagti), plus doing all the Nitnemee Banis. Besides this, one follows Gurus Hukam of Kakari rehet, truthful living, not committing the four krahits. Are you saying that even by following the above stated aspects of rehet, we cannot reach God? Does this mean the Guru Gobind Singh Jee’s khalsa rehet is incomplete?

hold up are u sayin we should follow rehit to the "T" cuz then which one do we follow,

taksal rehit which is no meat n so forth

akj rehit which is similar to taksal rehit but parts of bani are clearly not real

n then u have the akal takht rehit. ......... i'm not even gonna comment

ps i agree wid u samosa jus following rehit wont get u to god

By no means am I saying that you cannot follow the rehit. I am saying:

"""Lets be practical about this. Baba Nand Singh said that solely jot and dhoof are useless, they have them in practically all houses in India. It is about your jeevan, your love for the Guru. The amount of Naam Baanee you do. The sacrifice you have for the Guru. """

This sums up what I am saying.

Dynamic Banda,

Meditation and hypnosis are quite the oppossite. Hypnosis is if anything more like hypnogogia when you are on the boundary of sleep and wakefullness. Your discriminative faculties are reduced and you are highly suggestable. For example, to test the validity of hypnosis researchers once asked those under it to tell them what will happen two weeks on tuesday, and without any hesitation they began to explain point by point what will happen! In other words it provides a free for all for the parts of the brain active during dreaming. Now in meditation, depending upon which form and what your doing, you are exerting some form of control and check on vritti occuring in the chitta. For myself, the jyot provides a suitable focus for the mind, not pushing it into semi-consciousness, but allowing it to focus. If you are close to the jyot and you close your eyes it provides a point akin to the trikuti for dhyan. It can be used in visualisation also for bhagti. Mainly though both jyot and incense provide the rasa and bhava for dhyan.

• 6 months later...
  • 9 years later...