Eyebrow plucking

wjkk wjkf,

listen , u dont think its hard for a sikh boy wearing a dastaar? u dont think ppl dont make fun of him? plz, ive been there. ppl have done that to me.

i would understand if it was a sikh women wearing a dastaar but not this. and even if it was a sikh women waering a dastaar, i would make her wear it (if my daughter).

the question ur asking is simple. if u cant follow the rehit dont call urself a sikh - SIMPLE.

sorry if i was harsh...

waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fatEH!!!!!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i understand what ur saying- its just that its hard. Also i was unsure because i have seen girls who have taken amrit who have done their eye brows so i wasn't 100% sure if it was not allowed. And you weren't harsh- i respect ur opinion!

i know its not about looks and its about guruji but as a young person its really hard not to think about what u look like- i guess its something we have to overcome!

what is appealing to western society is not what is appealing to waheguru..

when we leave this prison we wont be judged on what we look like.. we wont be judged on how crisp our box dharis and how smooth our eyebrows look... we will be judged on whether we followed wahegurus instructions...

a person who is proud of their god given kesh is what is appealing to waheguru :D u shudnt care what people think about u, the way god has created us is perfect

our eyebrows grow as much as they should do - the hair on our legs and arms grow as much as they should do.... the hair on our arms grows about a centimeter where the hair on our heads grows down to our lower backs.... its meant to be this way so accept it :)

• 2 weeks later...

Is eye brow plucking allowed in sikhism?

I just want to hear peoples opinions on the matter!

God is our parents N whatever he do is to benefit his/her child. Y do some people are very hairy while some not. Y some animals have lots of hair N while some not at all..Y on certain part of our body got more hair N Y certain part is less. This is all god creation. He knows what his/her child need and don’t need. This is a gift from god. He want us to be in this way N by cutting or plugging your hair, u try to tell to god that “U ARE WRONG GOD, BY CUTTING MY HAIR/PLUGGING MY HAIR I LOOKS BETTERâ€. So now I guess u can answer by ur self are u smart than god or god is smart?

The question here is Y DID GOD SENT US TO THIS WORLD????? Is not to be fashionable- is to think bout him,C the world, and make changes to a god way of living.

Hey simi,

its very simple.. plucking hair mean looking more beautiful... am i right?? but sikh believes that .. "they like their self as it was created by God". Either they look good or not. For a sikh , he or she is not allow to pluk or cut hair from any part of the body.... its very simple again... ppl who cut or pluck hair are not consider to be sikh. now its up to the person... cut or not. wanna be sikh or beautiful??? YOU DECIDE.

• 2 weeks later...

lol - aman singh - you can be both sikh AND beautiful

beauty is NOT plucking eyebrows or removing hair

beauty is living according to god's will and keeping the hair he gave you.

if we see so much beauty in nature and being natural, why do we use artifical means to beautify ourselves?

using artificial means in hopes of making yourself look beautiful will not lead to that... how can a person be beautiful when they're pulling out HAIR - a beautiful, protecting, precious gift from god - out of their body?!?!

you're not beautiful when you pluck your eyebrows, even if a few people of this world call you beautiful, it's not true, because real beauty is measured through courage, strength, confidence, and of course just the natural glow that gurmukhs have when they don't remove their hair !!! ... if you pluck your eyebrows, you might get compliments from a few worldly people, but this entire world is false anyhow, why would you give in to a world as fake as the one we live in, why would you live according to peoples opinions, while giving up something as priceless as sikhi?

think about it.

Hey rk ji,

i know what are u saying. i even know u don't get beauty by pluking or cutting the hair. so tell me one thing, why these girl pluck their hair, what is the reason to do that. i was trying to give out the reason why ppl pluck their eye brow. i know u don't get beauty by doing all this stupid act. u might have miss understood what i meant to say.

Rab rakha.

i find it sad how people will go to such lengths, and confuse others, to try and justify their messed up ideas.

let me just clarify, the following are not allowed

removal of any hair, waxing, plucking, biting, sanding, (lol) whatever other imaginative ways u can think of.

bleaching or dying of any hair

tatoos

piercings

if u cant keep your rehit, dont call yourself a sikh, simple.

like i sed before, sikhism is not a system that u can work around because u think girls look prettier when they have triangular eyebrows instead of natural ones. personally i think plucked eyebrows look butters anyway. u either accept all of sikhi or none.

:oops::oops: does that mean ear piercings too?? ... :roll:

oh and about tattoos...i've seen amritdhari people with the tattoo of " ek onkar" ...is that forbidden too??

A tattoo is a tatoo, whether its a dragon or ek onkar...this body is a gift from Wahguroo, we must not insult this gift by writing on it or peircing it, wat i mean is changing it from the natural wayz...we should jst accept ourselves as we r made...

yea tatoos r NOT allowed, which ever tattoos they r...

Fateh :P

no it isnt, but once u keep ur outward form, the pride u have in sikhi may compel you to take more steps in sikhi.

and also, hajamat (removal of hair) automatically makes one a patit (shunned one.....lol) in sikhi. the removal of hair is one of hte biggest sins one can do....of course it shud b discussed alot!

Perhaps you should only worry about the eyebrows if they are so-o-o-o bushy that you absolutely cannot see through their bushiness. And I, at least, have never seen such a person. But anyone can see millions of dollars being bought and sold, and fortunes being made by catering to the egoistic pursuit of glamor instead of real beauty. What is going on behing the eyebrows is far more important that decorating the face to be a trap and enticement. Exercise, breathe powerfully, circulate your blood, become radiantly, naturally beautiful and magnetically attractive by the power of your soul, heart and mind. These other games are nothing but ego and insecurity. God made your eyebrows too. Let Him make your day without worrying about the opinions of others, whether they think you're pretty or not

:sikhiwink2:

I don't know where I got it ..LOL

beauty is NOT plucking eyebrows or removing hair

beauty is living according to god's will and keeping the hair he gave you.

if we see so much beauty in nature and being natural, why do we use artifical means to beautify ourselves?

:thumbsup: thats the best thing ive heard yet on this topic (though i havnt really read all of them) :roll:

So this is my two cents worth on this topic, all though ppl may not think I should discuss this as at the moment still cut my hair and do everything that is not sikhi...but hey, that's me...

The reason that most girls are put through this initiation torture (and believe it fricken hurts)... is to beautify ourselves for our future husbands...

I myself couldn't have cared less what I looked like five yrs back, but then my mom was like, "u have to take care of urself, no one will want to marry u, u have to look groomed and well presented..." and so I started it up as well...

and if one was to look at me, I'm the least kept person in this dept., yes I do it, but I'm not a fanatic about it, and at school, I'll be the least noticeable chick around...

The girls around me are much much much more into this stuff as well as skimpy clothes, and make up and all that stuff....

I'm not into the dating scene, don't want to be, but it would be nice if one guy, just one guy came up and said, Damn Nimrit ur gorgeous.... that's never happened, my sisters both younger than myself have had ppl have crushes on them...

I've been told that I have the most beautiful personality and am an amazing person inside, but do u think that ppl out there want to get to know someone that they're not attracted to, hell no...

Seriously guys, think about it urselves... do u think it's beautiful when a woman has moustache, when she raises her arms wearing a sleevless shirt, it's gorgeous to see all that arm pit hair...

U may think that yea I can handle, but be truly honest wit ur self, do u find it attractive...

Yes in sikhi it says not to remove the hair, but it also talks about ppl that have hair, yet don't know God...

It's a really difficult thing to follow, thats why i'm having such a hard time trying to decide...but guys r the most hypocritical individuals on earth... mate i've seen it in my own family...

u all say one thing, but when it comes down to what u want urself, u go for the opposite end....

Yes in sikhi it says not to remove the hair, but it also talks about ppl that have hair, yet don't know God...

ur worryin about other ppl and wat they do (ie , the ppl with hair and arnt into sikhi).

hopefully, guru ji will give u strength to not cut ur hair...

Mate, it's not just about the strength....

It's how everyone else should start to change the way they think...it's about changing ur preception....

And more than anything, I think when time comes, yea I'll have the strength to prolly go through it...

That's not the point, to me, the issue is of the hypocritical nature of guys...

They won't go for someone ugly, they'll go for the most prettiest, sweetest, shy type of girl they'll find...

If i wanted to I could make a statement and stop doing this all together...but thing is, I think one should first focus on their spiritual development and then the physical aspect... I was doing quite fine with my paath until last yr when I started uni... To me... I would rather have my mann clean and purified then not cuttin my hair....but thats just me at the moment

i understand what your saying canadian jathi- thats why i started this thread- basically people are saying you can't pierce your ears but on wedding days you get these gold earings to wear.

They say you shouldn't wear makeup- but on your wedding day they pile it on like lotion and put mehndi on you as well- and that yellow stuff that makes you fair.

And i have cousin brothers who are gursikh and when they watch the tele and see girls who have plucked their eyebrows and have cut their hair- they say she's pretty but i've never heard them say- look at that gursikh kuri- isn't she pretty!

i understand that not all guys are like that and that they understand real beauty- but they are hard to find!!!!

yes me and most other REAL gursikh guys find normal (ie kesadhari/keski wearing) girls attractive.

its only because society has told you that hair is wrong that you have been brainwashed into thinking "i must keep removing my hair, otherwise i will never find a husband".

its actually teh opposite....there are no gursikh women left any more....even my cousins are worrying me now....they have started wearing makeup n even bleaching their hair!

there will always be the spirituality vs physical appearance debate, but the bottom line is, guru ji said "live as a kesadhari sikh" and "never give your daughter to a clean shaven".....if u want to be a sikh....you have to follow the gurus commands NOW, not in 10 years time and procrastinate saying "ill be ready then....im jus getting more spiritual first"

recently i have tried to follow gurujis commands more...like wake up amritvela do more naamjaap....i set myself a time to start....the day before i was like "i aint ready to wake up at 2.....i wont be able to do it....maybe i should just wait a little bit, ill do it eventually" bt i just jumped in at the deep end and now its ez.

on a slightly unrelated thought....i was thinking....alot of sikhs cry becuz they cant find a keski wearing girl, or all hte men drink and shave, there are no good sikhs left, look at the muslims they are so strict....but think about it......when have u last seen a muslim woman in a propa burkha (ie showing nothing but hte eyes (or one eye lol) as it says in hte quran? how many men actually keep a beard and wear the funny hat? so its not all bad......but it is pretty bad :cry:

ehmyyyyyyy man u lot worryin tooooo much - theres plentyyyyy of gursikhs out there, reason u dont see em is cos they arent interested in goin out to town centres and eyeing up the blokes and standing in a group with their friends giggling at every guy that walks past tryin to catch his eye :LOL: