Eyebrow plucking

Guest kaur1699

ehmyyyyyyy man u lot worryin tooooo much - theres plentyyyyy of gursikhs out there, reason u dont see em is cos they arent interested in goin out to town centres and eyeing up the blokes and standing in a group with their friends giggling at every guy that walks past tryin to catch his eye :LOL:

Go on, you tell them!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know it shouldn't be about physical appearence but unfortunetly in todays society it is! culture and relgion clash in a major way- its difficult and yes it is hard to overcome it and people do. I wouldn't ever cut the hair on my head as that is my identity. I haven't touched my eyebrows yet but its likely i will in a few years. Many people will say to me whats the difference between the hair on your head and eyebrows? and i will say that i dont have an answer. Also many people will say to me that if you were to get married you would want a singh with a dastaar and a beard and yet you wish to remove eye brow hair and again i don't have an answer.

But i really respect the women who don't remove any hair. I went to the gurudwara yesterday and i saw women with small beards. They have immense strength not to remove those hairs. Unfortunetly i dont posses that strength.

I haven't touched my eyebrows yet but its likely i will in a few years.

if you touch ur eyebrows in the future then they will come back even more bushyer IF u decide to keep ur kesh trust me.... and thats when its gonna be hardest.... dont touch them and it will be easier for you to commit urself in the future

yeah i know they'll grow back bushier- thats whats stopping me!

And its not an attitude as such- its just a fact- i know its a commitment i cant make. I enjoy being a sikh and many people will say to me that if you pluck your eyebrows then your less of a sikh- and i know many of you will agree with that statement but my own opinion is that only God can say who is less of a Sikh. Also i believe that religion should be something that you enjoy and you should not feel restricted. And not plucking your eyebrows TO ME is a restriction that i don't fully agree with or am happy with. Many people will say you've got to make sacrifices- and i do, but ones i'm happy with. I personally like keeping my hair long, doing kirtan and doing paath because i enjoy it and i feel at peace.

I can see conter arguments like: If someone feels restricted then they should cut there hair? Someone can seem like the most religious person in the world yet have the filthiest thoughts, and be very dishonest- again only God can judge whether that person is commiting a sin by cutting their hair as they may have the purest heart, be generous and pray alot.

I don't know if i'm making sense to anyone but those are my thoughts and many of you will be thinking what a load of so and so but oh well!

Guest Javanmard

Hey am I just dreaming or are there people who simply worry too much about other people's eyebrows.

Definitions (Mahankosh) kesh (sanskrit): hair on the head and beard for men.

It is forbidden to touch kesh and chest hair for men. That's it. For the rest... you decide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

apart from that there is no further mention of such problems.

Rom is not hair but the poers on the body. Sorry for those who allways use the verses in gurbani with rom in it. It just doesn't mean hair but pore. Grammar and ethymology is very often more rational and acqurate than some people's aqal (or lack of it)

It's funny how some people who call themselves Gursikh have improvised themselves as the Khalsa Police Force checking if anyone is plucking his or her eyebrows. To be honest that problem is not even mentioned in the Rahitname so why do these control freeks waste their time.

The definitions given above (which are not mine) should be a clear message. Get knowldge first and decide afterwards

are u tryin to attempt humour? you cannot answer a simple question, instead you type a pathetic reply which tries to avoid the topic

you state urself that its ok for someoen to remove any hair from their body as long as its not from the head/beard or chest....so answering a simple question whether you practise what you preach cannot be very hard to answer can it???

Guest Javanmard

:shock: Hey Hot boy!!! :shock: Take it easy sweetheart!!! I am not the kind of person you think I am :oops: !!! My dear Steel Bangle you show very little sense of decorum. There are questions you can ask about someone's intimacy and others that you can't....

well to satisfy your thirst for details about my anatomy that seems to excite your mind so much here is my answer:

I keep kesh, I don't shave my legs, I don't shave my armpits and I don't pluck my eyebrows. Exciting isn't it :twisted: !!!!

I hope I have satified your desires regarding the description of some parts of my body.

bye bye hot boy!!!! 8) ciao

u seem to be gettin excited over a minor question, shaving legs or arms may seem like a sexual activity or a sexually stimulating image to u.. but not to me - sorry to have ruined ur little fantasy

now that you have answered that you do not remove any hair from ur legs or arms... then why do you so boldy state that its ok for others to do so?

you say that 'rom' refers to pores.... pores are tiny holes in our skin which sweat and waste is excreted, hair does not come out of pores nor do pores hold any foundation for hair

hair is situated within FOLICLES not pores in our skin... next time please pay attention in biology class

Guest Javanmard

Take any Braj or Sanskrit dictionary and it will say that rom means pore. Now I am sorry if some people have wrongly translated the term but accoring to ethymology rom means pore.

As I said your lack of decorum is quite blatant as is your lack of humour.

Asking someone if he or she shaves his legs etc... without knowing that person is a lack of manners. But maybe you think you're too much of a man for these things!

Guest Javanmard

The fact that I don't shave my body hair on certain parts of the body doesn't mean that everyone should follow my example. I don't feel complexed by my appearance but some others do. What applie sto me does not necesseraly aplly to others. "We're one but we're not the same"

Well said Lalleshvari Ji....

First of all, I think ppl should stop focussing there energies on what other ppl are doing and focus on urself....

If u think they r doing wrong that's UR opinion...

At the end it will up to God to decided who is right or wrong....

As for what is written in the Rehat Marayada according to Guru Gobind Singh Ji, interpretations can be twisted this way and that... and unfortunately we don't have someone from the Guru Ji's time to tell us exactly what he was thinking when he wrote about kesh.....

So chill peeps

Guys.. let not debunked the concept of hair in sikhism.. either its sanatan sikh dharma, puratan sikhs or sikhs in generally.. You all know the significance of it.

Im not saying if you cut your hair you wont get salvation but i m sayin its about followin guroo's hakum and get salvation. Stay in rehat maryada.

I dont know why people are soo picky on stand-dard rehat maryada...let me ask you all...

Isnt this same rehat maryarada.. the puran bhramgyani sikhs got salvation?????????? And i meant thousands of them....its all about who you serving.. if you serving the divine by puttin guroo sahiban's in the sirgun form then you are "True Khalsa" simple as that.....If not then you still get salvation but you cant claim something you didnt do... can you??????

so why doubt something which is proven and it glows like a diamond????

Guest Javanmard

You're right

If you're amritdhari or keshdhari you should stick to it but the question here is whether eyebrows count as kesh or not and I think this is a matter of grammar and ethymology that's it.

i think this debate can go on for ages! but i agree with lalleshvari- the amtter is debateable and i think everyone should be entitled to do what they please and are happy with when it come to eyebrow plucking shaving etc- only God can judge! thank you everyone for ur input.

lalleshvari -- this isn't a forum for flirting, your behavior is unacceptable...stay away from steel bangle veer. thanx. :?

hair is hair, we're not supposed to remove ANY hair, why would we be allowed to remove hair from certain body parts but not from others? that doesn't even make sense.. ALL OF THE HAIR that God gave us is a gift and the simran that we do vibrates rom rom through each and every hair, each and every pore, the hairs protect us from infection and they also provide warmth for our bodies when we're cold.. and either way, it's guru jees hukam to keep them, so that's what sikhs do.. you shouldn't come on a sikhi forum preaching anti-sikhi concepts..

that's like going on an islamic forum and saying YEAH DON'T WORRY ABOUT EATING PORK, ITS ALL GOOD!

vaheguruuu bakshle ....

Guest Javanmard

Sorry to interrupt your joy but

1. I did not flirt with Steel bangle! He asked me a very personal question without any decorum. It's like asking : are you a virgin

2. Hair is hair? Maybe in English but in Indian languages kesh is for the hair on the scalp and beard for men and bal is for body hair. Kesar Singh's Bansavalinama clearly says that it is an insult to call kesh bal. SO if you don't mind get back to your Braj, Sanskrit and Old Panjabi grammars and learn the languages. Otherwise don't bother talking about subjects you don't master!

fateh ji

if you thought my question towards you was offensive then accept my apology, i merely asked you the question to see if you practised what you preached in being able to remove hair which is not of the head, i dont really see how this was a personal question let alone sexual as you started stating

if you wanna carry on spinning on grammer and interpretation of sanskrit then that is your opinion, however i dont agree with this thinking, why keep the hair sacred on our head and not on our legs or arms, isnt it a bit contradicting to say that "hair is sacred but only on the head"??

you say that the sankscrit translation of kesh is "hair of the head"..arent eyebrows on ur head??... but then it all turns back to ur interpretation and your gonna argue that head means "scalp"

keeping of kesh is acceptance of the will of waheguru,it shows self restraint and equipoise, not removing hair is a step towards accepting his will and being in harmony with his order

"maintenance of complete natural form leads to Divine honor." (SGGS)

fateh ji

"lalleshvari -- this isn't a forum for flirting, your behavior is unacceptable...stay away from steel bangle veer. thanx. "

shame on u lalleshvari

smileeek.gif

...from what it seems, some people seem to think that having well groomed eyebrows means your pass to Sach Khand has been revoked

Guest Javanmard

Well Gi Joe Steel Bangle!!!

you should have thought twice about asking stupid questions. Let me put it in context.

1. You don't know me

2. you ask me if I shave my armpits or not

3. and that's not supposed to be a personal question????

Do you live in PendooLand or what? Of course it's a b~~~~y personal question!!!!!

Maharaj spoke in Indian languages not in English. In India hair is not hair i.e. there are different terms for different types of hair and kesh is 100% your hair on your skalp that's it! Now if you don't know why there is no mention of other types of hair: Do your own research!!!!

"Do your own research!!!!"

-lalleshvari

....but this would mean ppl have to do some real work rather than expect answers on a plate.

:cry:

Why cant we can ask someone to write a series of books on Sikhi, along the lines of "The Dummies Guide to..."?

Perhaps Bill Gates can design something..."Plug and Play Sikhi"