Heaven and Hell in Sikhism

BAZ

What is the concept of heaven and hell in Sikhism? How is reincarnation viewed differently in Sikhism than it is seen in Hinduism?

I was just thinking that if people are supposed to come back to this earth for the bad deeds they have done in this life then there really doesnt seem to be any room or time for a hell after death.

Anyway if someone could educate me on Sikhisms stance on this topic I would really appreciate it :)

Here is live audio tape of suleman ghost speaking with the sangat back in 1962:

Right click and save target as:

http://www.gursikhijeevan.com/media/audio/...n_the_ghost.mp3

Baz, this tape is in urdu and very authentic....it's quite inspirational however, it could be scary especially when he laughs... if you plannin on listening to it..best is to listen via head phones :)

here is my interpretation,

Heaven and hell are concepts which are derived from the Occident. Where "God" is viewed as an entity seperate from oneself. (In my view unscrupulous priests manipulated the idea of heaven and hell to get people to do what they wanted i.e. do good deeds and you will go to heaven. Much the same as do good deeds and you will be liberated from reincarnation - how is good defined?) Anyhow, the Soul after death must pass into either heaven or hell depending on deeds.

In Sikhism you are God but you don't know it, so there are no such concepts as heaven or hell. You are pure consciousness veiled by maya. So concepts of heaven and hell are not really compatible with sikh philosophy. The main aim of the scriptures is to reveal your true nature to yourself.

In hindu philosophy there is mention of hell with seven levels but i cannot remember. Where on one level there are being who have tiny mouths but voracious appetites - so they are continually unfufulled. The hindu concept of hell or heaven would be psychological whereby if your mental state in life was of frustration this would leave imprints on your mind whereby after your body dies those mental imprints survive maybe in your subtle body. I apologise for being so vague

regarding life after death- reincarnation heaven hell etc. it doesn't matter what you believe, who has come back from the other side to tell us? if a person feels comfortable believing in heaven or hell or reincarnation good for him. In my opinion aiming for a good next life or heaven is a lesser aim. The higher aim is to transcend existence altogether.

In Sikhism you are God but you don't know it, so there are no such concepts as heaven or hell. ... So concepts of heaven and hell are not really compatible with sikh philosophy.

not true. hell doesnt fit in with the Christian definition of eternal damnation, but there are naraks. After you die, you may have to pass through these places before you get another birth. Check out the suleman story on this site somewhere - there is an audio recording too.

In hindu philosophy there is mention of hell with seven levels but i cannot remember. Where on one level there are being who have tiny mouths but voracious appetites - so they are continually unfufulled.

these are prets

regarding life after death- reincarnation heaven hell etc. it doesn't matter what you believe, who has come back from the other side to tell us?

a few people have. Not to mention the prets that turn up at Mahapursh sangat asking for mukti and dsecribing what theyve been through. Guru Sahiban are samrath and have described this in Gurbani.

The higher aim is to transcend existence altogether.

youre entitled to your opinion, but the aim of Sikhism is to submit to the hukam of Akaal Purkh....which could fit in with what you've said (with the submission being a higher existence), but Im not sure if thats what you meant.

In Sikhism you are God but you don't know it, so there are no such concepts as heaven or hell. You are pure consciousness veiled by maya. So concepts of heaven and hell are not really compatible with sikh philosophy. The main aim of the scriptures is to reveal your true nature to yourself.

Great post :)

that is what i meant but i did not use Sikh terminology, maybe i should in future.

Just a final opiniated statement from me on this topic: heaven and hell don't really matter, their usefulness in only within the psyche of the individual, they do not "exist" in reality only in a persons mind, just like everything else..................

i disagree

its the persons mind that doesnt exist. This world doesnt exist. "hell" as you call it is more real than earth and has different levels. As souls that remember spending a few thousand years there will testify.

'heaven' as you call it also has several different levels, the highest of which is Sach Khand.