Sikhs & Clubbing

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well in my opinion i dont really see it as a bad thing - but it is a bit umm how can i put it - clashing?? :? :?

what i mean by this is - someoene who doesnt believe in drinking - smoking and is on a spirital path - will not really wanna associate him/herself with a place which is full of people drunk - all smoking - and dancing with each other

i dont really see nothing wrong with goin for a dance and listenin to the music - but most of the time this can be hard for a girl - who will be approached by allot of guys - offered drinks - blah blah blah

its a shame that the queues infront of the gurdwara are very short - compared to the queues that u see at gigs :cry:

i was just wondering about sokhs views on clubbing? if a person who doesnt drink etc but justr goes to clubs for the music is it acceptable?

lets see..sikhism does directly and indirectly porhibits use of alchohol and goin in clubbling...

lets break all these three things..lets take clubbling for example-

goin to clubbing...most of the people claim they do go for fun with freinds etc..however you in the vulnerable environment where things easily can lead to the five vices we have- anger, greed, attachment, lust and pride...even though you dont drink...because of the environment...

i m not lecturing you or anything...why dont you do a experiment urself...

just take one week off from ur priceless time ...just dedicate whole one week...listening to gurbani, kirtan instead with ur true heart instead of rap, hip-hop, bhangra songs, ragaie etc...you will the find the difference urself...you will find the music of gurbani much more relaxing and peacefull than other music...

i shall direct you to this link if you are interested you can listen to the kirtan here..

http://keertan.waheguroo.com/index.php?viewCat=205

if you like to listen to kirtan in a western style like rock beats and pop.. our fellow white sikh brothers and sisters has done that too..here

http://keertan.waheguroo.com/index.php?viewCat=40

ENJOY THE MUSIC JI :wink:

it does clash i no! but i love bhnagra and music, so i love to go to gigs or clubs for that! thats all.

But i also go gurdwara few times a week, does that make me a hypocrite?

im not a very religious person but i am trying to get into sikhi more, but as i prefer to go clubbing does that make a bad person?

neo covered the point i was just about to make

goin to clubs can promote some evils in us which we are meant to avoid

Lust (Kaam) :

lust and illegitimate sex. It is one of the greatest evils that tempts people away from God. It makes an individual weak-willed and unreliable. Normal sexual relationhip as a house-holder is not restricted in any way in Sikhism. But sex outside marriage or sex against the will of the partner is taboo, as it can cause unlimited sorrows.

Anger (Krodh) :

anger needs to be controlled. A person overcome by 'krodh' loses his balance of mind and becomes incapable of thinking. According to Sikhism, 'krodh' takes a person away from God as hatred has no place in religious practise.

as u wud have seen urself - allot of fights happen in gigs - so anger can become an evil

sonia - do what neo said - the feelin u will get from listening to gurbani will make u feel in such a way that u will never get from listening to bhangra - u forget everything in the world - all ur stresses - all ur fears - all ur problems

now tell me a bhangra track that can do this :wink:

it does clash i no! but i love bhnagra and music, so i love to go to gigs or clubs for that! thats all.

But i also go gurdwara few times a week, does that make me a hypocrite?

im not a very religious person but i am trying to get into sikhi more, but as i prefer to go clubbing does that make a bad person?

see first of all no one is hypocrite ....after all i was a crack-head last year... :oops: ...just changed in one year...

see its all about self-realization...

sikhi is beautiful because it gives you chance to meet with vaheguroo, to get piece of mind to acheive salvation while you are alive...

people usually think just by taking amrit you become good relegious icons.. but people dont know..

Amrit is just an "enrollment" in the school.. then you have classes 10, 11, 12 , diploma in sikhi, degree in sikhi, masters in sikhi and final one phd in sikhi...this is when you merge with vahegurooo....

but i gotta agree.. just enrolling in the school its a big commitment....its about praticing it... you have no idea... when you take amrit .. it just purifies ur blood with amrit(thats what it suppose to do) ... anand hii anand.. . vahegurooo...i just cant wait until this vaishakhi ..takin it just week from now... preparted to enroll in vaheguroo's class :D

Thanx to both of you for the advice youve given me! Its all been very helpful and very enlightening! We need more peopl elike you.

We need to encourage more sikhs to take part and realise sikhi more!

Heres an idea, how about a student nagar kirtan?? we can have a main on ein midlans and another in London, it gives a chance for student (less educated in sikhi) to get to gether and learn and listen to path

SONIA - IF U GO ALONG TO BOSS-UK.ORG U CAN SEE WHERE THERE ARE ANY SIKH SOCIETY MEETINGS BEING HELD AT UNIVERSITYS AROUND THE UK

I THINK THERES ONE COMIN UP SOON IN ASTON OR UCE

AND THERES ALWAYS SOME HAPPENING IN LONDON UNIS

OR U CAN ALSO GO ALONG TO UR LOCAL GURDWARA AND PARTICIPATE IN ANY GURMAT CAMPS THAT HAPPEN EVERY SUMMER :D

I been to a few gigs where ive seen a few group of religious girls, kurriya who wear turbans etc. Now they have taken amrit but still out there? whats to be said about that?

I wouldnt judge em..I think they have quite well in control when they went there....Personally, not everyone can do that....they could have just been there for bhangra songs of we know.. its not good to judge but i still say goin to gigs and being commited to sikhism truly doesnt really go along well...you can do one thing at a time...

you gotta understand being to sikhism..learning more and more stuff about it its a commitment but wheras goin in a clubbling its a "resistance" to that commitment because of the environment.. you have to be environment of gursikhs, saints so that effect of this worldy attachments, songs can go away. then you have.. anand hii anand... i wouldnt compare but you have to be at that stage to find out the anand...one is anand while you are alive.. while being in the anand .. you get the higger stage then anand.. which is porma anand.. this is the stage u get when you are dead but there are few sikhs that already have felt that stage and they know when there to death is coming.. actually they are eager to welcome the death.. because thats when you merge with vaheguroo.. no more of that 8.4 million rebirts you have to go through...

vaheguroooooooooooooo!!! :D

Guest kaur1699

firstly, hello sonia_gill, nice to hav u here.... :)

i was just wondering about sokhs views on clubbing? if a person who doesnt drink etc but justr goes to clubs for the music is it acceptable?

well, i think Neo and Steel hav said everything there is to say. on a personal level, i dont think there is anything wrong with bhangra or dancin; it the clubbin scene that i dont agree with cus its all about sangat and the sangat a person hangs out with does hav an effect on ur thinkin...

I been to a few gigs where ive seen a few group of religious girls, kurriya who wear turbans etc. Now they have taken amrit but still out there? whats to be said about that?

its each person to their own, if someone wants to go out and stuff then fair enuf, but cus some people are doin it does not technically make it rite or wrong.

all in all its about wat u believe and wana do, cus like steel said 'goin to clubs can promote some evils in us which we are meant to avoid', if u think u are strong enuf to be able to keep all this unda control then its cool, but (i personally think) this is the way to go...

just take one week off from ur priceless time ...just dedicate whole one week...listening to gurbani, kirtan instead with ur true heart instead of rap, hip-hop, bhangra songs, ragaie etc...you will the find the difference urself...you will find the music of gurbani much more relaxing and peacefull than other music...

:wink:

contrary to popular beleive (well amongst the panth) i beleive clubbing is wrong and only wrong,if u know the environment is going to affect u i.e make ur five vices battle ur senses/ur mind. if u can keep these under control,however,then i think its acceptable. after all,we face attachment,lust,anger,greed,pride,etc in the most subtle form i.e television. yet we all watch out. if u can do something without it affecting u,then by all means do it. but guru is everywhere,so to say clubbing is wrong because of the people-is anti sikhi in itself- all those clubbers all have guru ji in them too. besides,we all have differenct reasons in going clubbing. just remember-one day,when we are in the working world,clubbing or other social activities will become a norm. will we be too big headed to go to these places?? i think we should adapt to the times,to a degree. and before i get flammed,im saying WITH exception. i dont mean lets change the message of the khalsa. im saying,u have to be practical. i guess its no different to bindrawale and his statement that all sikhs should have a gun and motorbike. this isnt polluting gurus message or replacing the panj kakkar,its merely moving with the times. what use is a horse,when ur enemies will retreat in their sports cars?? similarly,what use is being educated all ur life,so u can make money and help the panth/less fortunate,when u throw it all in the sack,because u refuse to enter an environment ur too good for. i think common sense lies with sikhi. on the other hand,it shouldnt be made a habit. i think once in a blue moon is fine. but too regular i.e more than five/six times a year,is too much..and is more of a habit

wjkk wjkf

Amrik veerjee: people go to bhangra gigs more than simran sessions because they have NO IDEA what they're missing.. i feel really sorry for those people actually, but to them ignorance is bliss, to SIKHS knowledge is power, and ignorance is a disease..

Guest kaur1699

Amrik veerjee: people go to bhangra gigs more than simran sessions because they have NO IDEA what they're missing..

hey thats soooo tru, in comparison to naam, a bhangra bash is nothin....

:wink:

Hi,

just joined. All i have to say is that I believe that it is all about self control. What do you think u'r capable of? Can something, someone, someplace change your beliefs, your values, you? The gurus have not bound us down to rules, but rather have provided us with principles to live our lives with. Gurbani dosn't bann you from clubs! If you can answer the questions above than you should have your answer... RabH Rakha.

Sorry If my english dosn't make much sense. I cheated thru high school english.....BYE.

P.S.

To Steel Bangle: CUTE KIDS!!

Amrik veerjee: people go to bhangra gigs more than simran sessions because they have NO IDEA what they're missing.. i feel really sorry for those people actually, but to them ignorance is bliss, to SIKHS knowledge is power, and ignorance is a disease..

Me knows what u saying

welcome 2 da site ramina :LOL:

stick 2 diz forum site, share your knowledge :)

WJKK WJKFateh!!

I agree with everyone's post! Big up to NEO!!!! CONGRATULATIONS BROTHER! And welcome to the family, glad to see you're taking amrit soon!! ;)

About clubbin', it doesn't really say anywhere in Gurbani to not go clubbing, or not to drink, or not to smoke. Tha's the most beautiful thing about our Guru maharj! All SGGS says is if you drink/smoke/do bad things, what you will have to do to pay for it. It doesn't tell anyone not to do certain things, the entire message behind Gurbani is 'What you reap is what you sow'.

Clubbin = Maya (Worldy attachment)

If you are a Sikh, and follow Sikhi, then by goin clubbin you're going away from your Guru's teachings. Do you think Guru Gobind Singh ji want his Singh/Kaur to goto a club? Or do you think it'd be ok for Guru Nanak Dev ji for you to go?

Its just a way of thinking, you can do what you want, and its only going to affect your mind/body/soul! My two cents! Bhul chuk Maaf!

WJKK WJKFateh!

exactly! my brotha made it all clear! u do something,and pay the price! and this goes with everything we do..it all has an effect on our karma.

in terms of drinking and smoking being condemned,i can actually say there is bani which hints that smoking and drinking is strictly prohibited (after all the rehit maryada the tenth master ordained makes it clear; all intoxicants should be avoided) however i think clubbing is taboo..since we face lust,anger,ego,attachment,etc in everyday life! so to isolate clubs and say they are the only places with all these qualities is wrong! just remember,we live in kalyug,and everything dark is all around us! theres no escaping it! if it affects u,then dnt go..if it doesnt,they by all means go! (for the right reason) guru ji knows our intent when we do things!

clubbing is completely 100percent against sikhi.

on top of that, kuchhi bani is also. i will post up some quotes later.

i gave up rap and hiphop music about a year ago, its actually really hard, but now i dont really see anything in it and listen to kirtan all the time. instead of gangsta lyrics playing over in my head i get anand and sukhmani ringing there instead.

of course there isnt going to be anti clubbing quotes in SGGS because they didnt have clubs at hte time. but there are plenty of anti bhangra and music etc quotes which people like to ignore.

i dont understand WHY people listen to music any more anyway.....just try giving up kucchi bani for a few months and listen to kirtan instead and u will see a difference...its harder than u think.

i liked bhai rama singhs book "In search of hte true guru: from manmukh to gursikh" - he went thru all the clubbing and the kaam and he found that he wasnt getting much benefit out of his bani any more. so he gave it all up and took a religious path. he likened a club to a room filled with soot and coal - everyone goes in clean and comes out blackened and filthy.

i really cant imagine guru gobind singh doing modern bhangra or c-walking to a gangsta rap track, can you?

sorry if ive offended anyone, just my views.

• 3 weeks later...

Vahegurooooooooooooooo

Did any one read that email was going around about Sikh ppl in clubs!!!! ?

Well all i got too says it is........ Panjee (Kaur1699) I doo agree with u what U said about the SANGAT!!! THAT U GET IN CLUBS!!!! ITS NOT GOOD AT ALL I THINK!!! ITS ALL ABOUT SANGAT

I KNOW ITS NOTHING WRONG IN LISTENING TOO BHANGRA OR DANCING!!! BUT WHY LISTEN TOO DOO IT!!! WHEN U CAN LISTEN TOO GURU JI KIRPA!!!!

VAHEGUROOOOOOOOOOOO